Solver's Forum
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Math and Logic Problem Exchange » How to create your own solvable logic puzzles?

Logic Problem fans, discuss solutions and get solving help.
7/21/2016 5:17:43 PM

club
club
Greetings,
I'm relatively new to this world, but addicted already. Bought a subscription to the logic puzzles magazine, plowed through one and working on my second issue now. Love the product.

My question is how would one go about crafting their own puzzles? For simplicity, let's say one that could be solved using a basic cross-hatch grid. How do you know which / how many clues to reveal to make the entire thing solvable? Aside from maybe trying to ignore you already know the solution and using trial-and-error to see if you can solve it again using the clues you came up with, are there like tips or rules of thumb to follow to ensure it will be solvable? So far, I've noticed most cross-hatch puzzles' clues reveal at least one given 1-to-1 relationship, which is obvious, because if the clues only gave you X's to mark down, you'd eventually reach a point where you could progress no further. But this still doesn't give me enough insight to know how to make a guaranteed-solvable puzzle. I'd love to be able to craft some using themes of my own choosing, to share with friends, etc. Thanks for any tips!

7/22/2016 7:07:06 AM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
I'm not sure about this, but it seems to me there have been 1 or 2 puzzles I've seen where ALL the clues are "negative" clues, and maybe you finally get to something "positive" by elimination. Or, because there is one "time-line" clue that says X comes right before Y which comes right before Z, and another "time-line" clue that says A comes right before B which comes right before C, you might get to do some "cross-offs" that way (if, for example, the category of "A" is the same category as "X," then you know that B can't be Y and C can't be Z).

--
Amy

11/10/2017 10:48:10 AM

Frances
Frances
Marggie Hopkins wrote:
Hello everybody! I am interested in solution of such problem: One family should pass the rope bridge in the night. Father can do it in 1 minute, mother in 2 minutes, son - in 3 and grandmother - only in 10 minutes. They have only one torch and only two persons can be on the bridge at one time. Two persons are moving with the speed of those, who are moving slower. How they all can pass the bridge in 17 minutes? The torch can not be thrown over, it is no allowed to light up the road from the other side of the bridge, and so on. Best regards, http://researchpaperwritings.net/ expert.

Hi Marggie! Are you a writer with or a user of the service you are advertising?

11/10/2017 11:39:07 AM

Josh
Josh
Frances wrote:
Marggie Hopkins wrote:
Hello everybody! I am interested in solution of such problem: One family should pass the rope bridge in the night. Father can do it in 1 minute, mother in 2 minutes, son - in 3 and grandmother - only in 10 minutes. They have only one torch and only two persons can be on the bridge at one time. Two persons are moving with the speed of those, who are moving slower. How they all can pass the bridge in 17 minutes? The torch can not be thrown over, it is no allowed to light up the road from the other side of the bridge, and so on. Best regards, --redacted-- expert.

Hi Marggie! Are you a writer with or a user of the service you are advertising?

This is the third time such a post with a link to a writing service has been posted. I suspect this is more carefully created SEO content for these companies, so they can post a link and build a reputation with Google. It's borderline spam, and hope the moderators see it as such. Each of the sites linked uses an identical Terms of Services, and have other common threads, so it's pretty clear to me it's a link-building effort by one company. Also notice how the previous instances, they don't reply - just post and move on.

(For others of the regulars who don't understand the above and want a bit more depth of understanding, let me know. My career has been in online tech so I see this sort of stuff all the time.)

11/10/2017 12:20:34 PM

Frances
Frances
Thanks for the explanation, Josh. I suspected these posts were some kind of spam. So, there's no point in trying to engage any of the posters in conversation. I'm still wondering how to get that family to "pass the rope bridge" in 17 minutes. smile

11/10/2017 1:56:39 PM

Bernadette1959
Bernadette1959
Josh wrote:
(For others of the regulars who don't understand the above and want a bit more depth of understanding, let me know. My career has been in online tech so I see this sort of stuff all the time.)

Josh,

I understand the above but may I ask you a question about something else? You may not know the answer but I've been unable to find anything by Googling the subject and I'm curious.

I was recently given the following excuse by someone who did not respond to an email I sent them: "A trojan horse invaded my Gmail account and I've been unable to open it." (This person added that they had access to the rest of the web, just not Gmail.)

Do you have any experience with a computer virus/trojan horse affecting only ONE website, and not an entire computer?

There's no danger of any friendship being terminated over this issue, but I would be curious to know if this person is just making excuses. LOL wink

Thank you!
Bernadette

11/10/2017 7:08:54 PM

Semipro
Semipro
Josh wrote:
This is the third time such a post with a link to a writing service has been posted. I suspect this is more carefully created SEO content for these companies, so they can post a link and build a reputation with Google. It's borderline spam, and hope the moderators see it as such. Each of the sites linked uses an identical Terms of Services, and have other common threads, so it's pretty clear to me it's a link-building effort by one company. Also notice how the previous instances, they don't reply - just post and move on.

Josh, here's another possibility. These posters work for a Web-based outfit that does kids' homework for pay. They may not be interested in creating links for the company, only in getting help with their work when an assignment they've been given stumps them. This kind of work probably pays little, but enough to attract people with some education in countries where a dollar goes further than here. Marggie's writing style reveals that she's not a native English speaker (trust me on this one, with my decades of editorial experience and scrutiny of language).

SEO optimization might backfire for an unethical company, which would do better to fly under Google's radar.

Whatever the situation is, the posts are a misuse of this forum.

11/12/2017 5:37:09 PM

Josh
Josh
Bernadette1959 wrote:
Josh wrote:

Josh,

I understand the above but may I ask you a question about something else? You may not know the answer but I've been unable to find anything by Googling the subject and I'm curious.

I was recently given the following excuse by someone who did not respond to an email I sent them: "A trojan horse invaded my Gmail account and I've been unable to open it." (This person added that they had access to the rest of the web, just not Gmail.)

Do you have any experience with a computer virus/trojan horse affecting only ONE website, and not an entire computer?

There's no danger of any friendship being terminated over this issue, but I would be curious to know if this person is just making excuses. LOL wink

Thank you!
Bernadette

It's highly, highly unlikely. Something could be installed on a computer that could interfere with specific sites - I've seen malware that targets Google and injects things into the page, for instance. But it usually goes well beyond a single website. That said, many times it's hard for those less technical to have a complete understanding, so they pick up on what they can. It's also possible that due to a settings change made by malware, it blocked access to common email clients and your friend only checks GMail. I've seen that before as well.

11/12/2017 5:40:55 PM

Josh
Josh
Semipro wrote:
Josh wrote:

Josh, here's another possibility. These posters work for a Web-based outfit that does kids' homework for pay. They may not be interested in creating links for the company, only in getting help with their work when an assignment they've been given stumps them. This kind of work probably pays little, but enough to attract people with some education in countries where a dollar goes further than here. Marggie's writing style reveals that she's not a native English speaker (trust me on this one, with my decades of editorial experience and scrutiny of language).

SEO optimization might backfire for an unethical company, which would do better to fly under Google's radar.

Whatever the situation is, the posts are a misuse of this forum.

Agreed - they may be leveraging the forum, but the fact that they're posting the link to the site, and not just saying "I need help with this," is what's suspect. They may not be a disreputable site - they probably are offering this service - but use long-established brands like Penny Dell and their high-ranking domains to their advantage by posting links. It's a somewhat time-honored way to build your ranking within Google because Google highly prizes links back from other sites. Penny/Dell could diminish the benefit of this by tagging the links to not be followed; not sure whether this forum allows for it or not, but it would kneecap those trying to abuse a good thing.

Adding to my thought of it being SEO fodder - they posted a reply to a more than year old thread with a post completely unrelated to the original topic. By adding it to a more established page, again, the page has been around for awhile so it carries a different weight vs. a brand new post.

If they're overly aggressive Google will generally catch on and penalize the company, but most are smart enough not to go nuts.

11/12/2017 7:26:33 PM

Semipro
Semipro
Josh wrote:
They may not be a disreputable site - they probably are offering this service . . .

Wait a minute. Doesn't offering that service mean they're conducting a disreputable business?

The regular posters here try to avoid accommodating students who want to hand in puzzle solutions and let the teacher think they did the work themselves. I don't see a difference when the query comes from someone the student hired to do an assignment.

11/13/2017 4:53:09 PM

Josh
Josh
Semipro wrote:
Josh wrote:
They may not be a disreputable site - they probably are offering this service . . .

Wait a minute. Doesn't offering that service mean they're conducting a disreputable business?

The regular posters here try to avoid accommodating students who want to hand in puzzle solutions and let the teacher think they did the work themselves. I don't see a difference when the query comes from someone the student hired to do an assignment.

I get what you're saying Semipro, but what I meant was they may actually provide the service they're offering to provide (there are unfortunately plenty of online sites that don't). Whether they should offer such a service (for moral, ethical, etc. reasons) is a separate argument from the point I was trying to make, which is:

They're leaving semi-on-topic posts in an area that connects, putting a link up, and never coming back to contribute in the conversation about the question, and what I was trying to say is that regardless of the business they're offering, they're using Penny/Dell's forums to spam so they can build their search ranking. I don't believe they're asking these questions to help with student papers; they're using the idea of a question to promote the services, and then moving on to their next forum for posting.

Sorry if I let a bit of poor wording distract, but at the end of the day this could be a frozen foods company selling pizza and posting a math inquiry about percentages of the pie, but they're just using the forum for their gain, and not contributing to the conversation.
edited by jjofriends on 11/13/2017

11/14/2017 1:48:06 AM

Semipro
Semipro
Josh, so you believe they don't really want help from solvers, they just come to drop a link. Okay. I don't know a way to find out what they're up to. Maybe they don't return after one post because we get pretty unwelcoming when they appear!

11/14/2017 10:57:13 AM

Bernadette1959
Bernadette1959
Thank you for the information you provided to my question, Josh! smile

Bernadette

11/15/2017 10:33:11 PM

Josh
Josh
Semipro wrote:
Josh, so you believe they don't really want help from solvers, they just come to drop a link. Okay. I don't know a way to find out what they're up to. Maybe they don't return after one post because we get pretty unwelcoming when they appear!

True enough. My suspicions just grow when they add to a really old thread, like this one, with an off-topic post. Although we've taken it way beyond that! haha

Home » Math and Logic Problem Exchange » How to create your own solvable logic puzzles?