Solver's Forum
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Variety Central » Help with two more cryptic crossword clues

See what other Variety puzzle fans have to say/share your solutions.
7/28/2016 11:19:50 PM

JohnJSal
JohnJSal
As usual, I have the answer and I understand about half the clue, but I can't put it all together. Here they are, with answers below.

Walking in music class, quietly getting top marks (6)

Doctor reads REM for idealists (8)

The first answer is PACING. "Walking" seems to be the definition, and "getting top marks" is the "acing" part. But I don't know where the "p" comes from, or what the rest of the clue means. Maybe "p" is an abbreviation in music for "quietly"?

The second answer is DREAMERS. The definition is "idealists," and I think "Doctor" becomes "DR," but the rest I don't get.

Thanks!

7/29/2016 1:25:37 AM

Semipro
Semipro
p is a direction on sheet music for "quietly" or "softly." From Italian piano, "quiet." This is a difficult clue. I wouldn't have got the answer by myself.

Doctor = anagram. When you doctor something, you fiddle with it, you change it. "reads REM" anagrams to DREAMERS. "Doctor" is a common signal for anagramming in these puzzles.

7/29/2016 3:05:56 PM

JohnJSal
JohnJSal
Semipro wrote:
p is a direction on sheet music for "quietly" or "softly." From Italian piano, "quiet." This is a difficult clue. I wouldn't have got the answer by myself.

Doctor = anagram. When you doctor something, you fiddle with it, you change it. "reads REM" anagrams to DREAMERS. "Doctor" is a common signal for anagramming in these puzzles.

Thanks! I was close with the first one, but totally off with the second one! I've seen "doctor" in a clue before and it meant to use "dr" as a part of the charade answer.

I even noticed that parts of the clue looked like an anagram for the answer, but it just went over my head! I guess that's what happens when you've gotten off on the wrong track to begin with!

Home » Variety Central » Help with two more cryptic crossword clues