Solver's Forum
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Logic Problem Exchange » Logic Problems Spectacular Vol. 2

Logic Problem fans, discuss solutions and get solving help.
8/11/2016 5:07:00 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
Posts: 878
For anyone interested, I was able to find Logic Problems Spectacular Volume 2 at my local Target (same place I found the first volume). It was a pleasant surprise to see that it was printed by Rose Printing, the same company that printed the first volume. I did a quick eraser test and the print stayed nice and dark! smile

8/12/2016 7:27:48 AM

Bernadette1959
Bernadette1959
Posts: 245
I'm glad to hear you found this magazine, Allie, and that the print seems to be of good quality!

I received my September 2016 issue of PP Variety Puzzles and Games yesterday and the very first thing I noticed when I removed the plastic wrapping was that the edges of the magazine are deckled. I have no idea whether this is intentional (I do own a few hardback books that are deckled as part of their appeal) or whether it's a binding error. I'm suspecting the latter, because the deckle edging does look sloppy on a magazine.

Bernadette
edited by Bernadette1959 on 8/12/2016

8/12/2016 2:50:23 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
Posts: 878
Thanks Bernadette! Sorry about your magazine. Was it printed by RR Donnelley? It seems like the issues go beyond just the actual printing itself. I certainly understand Penny/Dell wanting to find the best value and keep prices down for its customers, not to mention having to fulfill their contractual obligations, but keeping my fingers cross that they will go back to another printer they have had more success with in the past.

8/12/2016 3:06:40 PM

Bernadette1959
Bernadette1959
Posts: 245
Purple Pisces wrote:
Was it printed by RR Donnelley?


Oh, yes!

It seems to me as if PennyDell must not have required this new printer to even do a sample runoff of their magazines. So far the issues are: smearing ink, wrinkled front covers and now deckled magazine edges.
edited by Bernadette1959 on 8/12/2016

8/14/2016 11:29:09 PM

Josh
Josh
Posts: 170
Purple Pisces wrote:
For anyone interested, I was able to find Logic Problems Spectacular Volume 2 at my local Target (same place I found the first volume). It was a pleasant surprise to see that it was printed by Rose Printing, the same company that printed the first volume. I did a quick eraser test and the print stayed nice and dark! smile



I will say, although I had issues with the copies of Sudoku Spectacular that I found, that I love love love the print quality and paper of the premium issues. Here's hoping they keep pushing forward with other publications in that format. (A variety trial might be the next step!)

8/15/2016 8:48:35 AM

Bernadette1959
Bernadette1959
Posts: 245
Josh wrote:
I will say, although I had issues with the copies of Sudoku Spectacular that I found, that I love love love the print quality and paper of the premium issues. Here's hoping they keep pushing forward with other publications in that format. (A variety trial might be the next step!)


Josh, I don't wish to sound mean on PennyDell's own forum, but the excellent print and paper quality of those premium issues is a standard feature on ALL of the publications issued by Puzzler out of the UK. No flimsy covers, no smearing ink, nice paper (not rough). I don't understand why we cannot have the same quality on our puzzle magazines here in the States unless our business tax situation has something to do with it. Maybe companies over here just can't afford this level of quality but it certainly would be nice.

8/15/2016 6:22:47 PM

Josh
Josh
Posts: 170
Bernadette1959 wrote:
Josh wrote:
I will say, although I had issues with the copies of Sudoku Spectacular that I found, that I love love love the print quality and paper of the premium issues. Here's hoping they keep pushing forward with other publications in that format. (A variety trial might be the next step!)


Josh, I don't wish to sound mean on PennyDell's own forum, but the excellent print and paper quality of those premium issues is a standard feature on ALL of the publications issued by Puzzler out of the UK. No flimsy covers, no smearing ink, nice paper (not rough). I don't understand why we cannot have the same quality on our puzzle magazines here in the States unless our business tax situation has something to do with it. Maybe companies over here just can't afford this level of quality but it certainly would be nice.



I don't think that's being overly mean or unfair. Their primary competitor in the space has had a magazine printed on a more premium paper, with spot color, for decades. It's also priced at a premium relative to Penny/Dell's higher page count for the same price, but I have no issue purchasing that magazine either. People will buy if they see value, and there's multiple ways, not just the page or puzzle count, to derive that.

I used to work in newspapers and one line of thought was that most newspapers would become more of a luxury item - higher priced, but with a smaller, but dedicated and engaged, audience. PennyDell could similarly serve that audience with these premium lines, and could still maintain a more general-audience approach with others and keep the existing format.

I'll solve the standard magazines if that's what's there, but if I had a choice I'd pick the nicer paper, for a buck or two more, personally. The many hours of value derived from one issue means from a pure value perspective you're paying pennies per hour of entertainment, which, compared to just about any other form of entertainment, is incredibly hard to beat.

8/16/2016 8:43:11 AM

Bernadette1959
Bernadette1959
Posts: 245
Yes, Josh, I forgot about that competitor's premium magazine as I have rarely ever purchased it. Puzzler's magazines actually have an almost cardboard-type cover on them, which is very nice!

Home » Logic Problem Exchange » Logic Problems Spectacular Vol. 2





7.2.12.0