Solver's Forum
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Variety Central » New printer (?), same issues with ink

See what other Variety puzzle fans have to say/share your solutions.
10/12/2016 11:55:57 PM

JohnJSal
JohnJSal
Hello all. I went to the grocery store tonight and, as usual, I checked the recent issues of Penny Press magazines for two things: the printer and if the ink smears. I was surprised to find, after several months of checking, that the December 2016 issue of Approved Variety Puzzles has a new printer (LSC Communications, instead of RR Donnelley), but the bad news is that the ink issues persist. The ink still smears, and I even broke my rule to not buy another issue and I bought this one so I could take it home and test out an eraser on it. And yes, the ink smears and erases.

This particular magazine isn't one that I see often, so it's possible that it has had a different printer all along (can anyone confirm?), but even if they've changed the printer, it certainly didn't change the poor quality of the publication.

Can anyone check the printer of more "mainstream" issues, like Variety Puzzles and Games, Merit, Favorite, etc.? Is it still RR Donnelley? Thanks!
edited by JohnJSal on 10/12/2016

10/13/2016 12:34:12 AM

Bernadette1959
Bernadette1959
John,

I have the August 2016 issue of Approved Variety Puzzles and the printer listed is RR Donnelley. Also, I have the October 2016 issue of PP Variety Puzzles and Games as well as the November 2016 issue of Family Variety Puzzles and they were both printed by RR Donnelley, so no change in these as of the most recent issues. (There may be a later issue of PP Variety Puzzles and Games available. I have a subscription to this publication and it always arrives after I see it in the stores.)

I'm very disappointed to hear that the print quality of Approved Variety Puzzles is not improved even with a different printer. PennyDell has yet to comment about this issue here on the forum, despite the number of posts. I hate to say it, but I think these quality issues must be here to stay.
edited by Bernadette1959 on 10/13/2016

10/13/2016 1:40:32 AM

JohnJSal
JohnJSal
I really hope not! If anything, maybe the change of printer was an effort to fix the problem. After all, it seems weird to change printers in the middle of the year. I figured it would take at least a calendar year to see a change.

Of course, you would think that if there was an effort made to fix the problem, they would have checked the ink of the new printer before allowing them to print the magazines, so I don't know upset

10/13/2016 9:49:37 AM

Josh
Josh
So I looked at the issue in question and mine lists LSC as well, but I noted that the city was still Dwight, IL. Thinking that was too much to be a coincidence, I googled them and found they were a subsidiary of RR Donnelly but were being spun off this year, so assumedly that's the end result of the spin-off.

10/13/2016 10:24:27 AM

Bernadette1959
Bernadette1959
John, this morning's mail brought my November issue of PP Variety Puzzles and Games, and I also saw the December issue of Family Variety Puzzles for sale in the store, and both of these now say they're being printed by LSC Communications. The Variety Puzzles and Games issue looks fine, other than the usual erasing issues, but when I leafed through the Family Variety in the store, there were very lightly-printed pages scattered throughout as well as a few pages with ink drops. The edge of the front cover of the magazine is also scraggly, like it wasn't cut properly.

Josh, I'm always impressed by your attention to detail. I've rarely paid attention to where RR Donnelly is located. So basically, PennyDell has NOT changed printers then, right? Well, that's discouraging. :/

I want to add I've not had any issues with the digest-sized magazines lately. I have a subscription to Spotlight Remember When Word Seeks, which is printed by Trend Offset Printing, and the latest issues have been fine. Of course, I have been solving these with pen as there's not much need for erasing. So the quality of the ink doesn't come into play to the degree it does in the full-sized issues.

For the umpteenth time, it would be nice if someone from PennyDell would post a response here.

10/13/2016 4:05:44 PM

JohnJSal
JohnJSal
Josh wrote:
So I looked at the issue in question and mine lists LSC as well, but I noted that the city was still Dwight, IL. Thinking that was too much to be a coincidence, I googled them and found they were a subsidiary of RR Donnelly but were being spun off this year, so assumedly that's the end result of the spin-off.

Wow, excellent work! I guess that means nothing has really changed then! upset

10/13/2016 4:08:38 PM

JohnJSal
JohnJSal
Bernadette1959 wrote:
I want to add I've not had any issues with the digest-sized magazines lately. I have a subscription to Spotlight Remember When Word Seeks, which is printed by Trend Offset Printing, and the latest issues have been fine. Of course, I have been solving these with pen as there's not much need for erasing. So the quality of the ink doesn't come into play to the degree it does in the full-sized issues.

A couple months ago I bought a Dell Crossword Puzzle book (small digest-sized) and it is printed by Trend Offset as well. Unfortunately, it also has the same ink issues with smearing and erasing.

I don't know if the PP magazines had these issues in years past, but there was definitely something magical about the Quad Graphics printings, because they didn't do it AT ALL. Which is why it was discouraging to hear the production person basically say "they all do that."

Home » Variety Central » New printer (?), same issues with ink