Solver's Forum
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Let Us Know About Possible Mistakes (Dell) » Mistake in Good Time Variety Puzzles Dec 2016

Let Us Know About Possible Mistakes.
11/7/2016 10:32:05 AM

ladyredspider
ladyredspider
On page 39, the Anagram Magic Square 1, number 8 says "photocopier's fluid" and the answer is "toner". This is wrong, toner is a powder and not a liquid.
This also is in the Variety Puzzle and Games Nov 2016, Escalator 2, section 2, number 20, "Copier fluid" and the answer is "toner", which again is wrong as toner is a powder, not a liquid.

11/7/2016 7:41:09 PM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
About 50 years ago, there were copiers that needed liquid. I think the liquid was called "toner" or "toner fluid." Today, toner may be a powder, but there once was a time when copiers used liquid toner. I don't know if making the clue mention the mid-20th century, would help.

--
Amy

11/8/2016 10:03:16 AM

ladyredspider
ladyredspider
Well I guess I am just stupid. Nothing ever mentioned time and I have never know toner not to be a powder. I regret posting this and just look stupid. My mistake, I will never post here again or buy these books ever again.

11/8/2016 10:27:18 AM

Bernadette1959
Bernadette1959
Ladyredspider,

You don't look stupid at all! PennyDell often recycles older clues that are dated or are not quite up to today's current technological standards. But that's certainly no reflection on you or your intelligence!

Please visit again! smile

Bernadette

11/8/2016 11:43:03 AM

Frances
Frances
Wait, Ladyredspider! Don't go. You are not stupid----you certainly know more than I did about copier/printers.

After reading your post, I Googled a bit on the subject. I learned that toner cartridges do indeed have powder inside, while ink cartridges for inkjet printers contain liquid. Toner=powder. It is up to the editors to check for accuracy in their puzzles (new or reprints) before publication. But they do make mistakes----that's why there are 2 places on the forum just for us to point them out!

You were right to post and I'm glad you did. smile

Frances.

ETA: Just doing The New York Times crossword puzzle (syndicated) in the newspaper. 8 Down: "Photocopier powder". Answer: "TONER".

edited by Frances on 11/8/2016

11/8/2016 2:27:40 PM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
Oh, that's a riot, Frances, that you happened to do the NYT crossword and it had a clue about toner POWDER. LadyRedSpider, you're not stupid at all. Welcome to the forum, and hope to hear from you again.

--
Amy

11/13/2016 1:35:59 AM

Wagashigrrl
Wagashigrrl
Oh my gosh, I remember those Mimeograph copiers! The smell of that toner in kindergarten and grade school classes!
Childhood memories are amazing. I'd recognize that smell on the first whiff. The print was a bit purplish and smelled a little like cucumber or paste.

Bernadette... Funny about the recycled puzzle question... maybe the writer was another old dragon like me.

Please don't go away, ladyredspider. Have a great time with your puzzles.

--
WG
* A child of five could understand this!
Fetch me a child of five. ― Groucho Marx

Home » Let Us Know About Possible Mistakes (Dell) » Mistake in Good Time Variety Puzzles Dec 2016