Solver's Forum
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Variety Central » Cryptic Crossword help

See what other Variety puzzle fans have to say/share your solutions.
11/15/2016 8:59:39 PM

JohnJSal
JohnJSal
Once again, an answer without a full understanding of the clue!

Document it legally to furnish name (7)

Answer below ...

Answer is "entitle." I see that this word is contained within "document it legally," but what is the indicator? What does "furnish" accomplish? If it's supposed to mean that the first part "furnishes" the answer, that's pretty obtuse!

11/15/2016 9:40:18 PM

Frances
Frances
Perhaps it's this: Besides giving a right, entitle can also mean to give or furnish something or someone with a name or title.

11/15/2016 10:34:46 PM

JohnJSal
JohnJSal
Yes, but these types of container clues always have an indicator directing you to look inside the clue. In fact, another clue in this puzzle was a container clue with the indicator "internally."

I just don't understand the indicator here.

11/16/2016 11:30:56 AM

Semipro
Semipro
JohnJSal wrote:
What does "furnish" accomplish? If it's supposed to mean that the first part "furnishes" the answer, that's pretty obtuse!
I think "to furnish name" works as a definition of "entitle," as Frances suggests. "Name" by itself, as a verb, can also serve as the definition part of the clue, in which case "to furnish" does what you said. I don't see any part that tips us off that this is a container clue. Usually there's a word like "holding" or "encompasses." "To furnish" is more general.

11/17/2016 3:58:20 PM

JohnJSal
JohnJSal
Semipro wrote:
JohnJSal wrote:
What does "furnish" accomplish? If it's supposed to mean that the first part "furnishes" the answer, that's pretty obtuse!
I think "to furnish name" works as a definition of "entitle," as Frances suggests. "Name" by itself, as a verb, can also serve as the definition part of the clue, in which case "to furnish" does what you said. I don't see any part that tips us off that this is a container clue. Usually there's a word like "holding" or "encompasses." "To furnish" is more general.

I agree. Containers always have an indicator, so this one really threw me!

Home » Variety Central » Cryptic Crossword help