Solver's Forum
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Math and Logic Problem Exchange » Need help! New to logic puzzles.

Logic Problem fans, discuss solutions and get solving help.
11/21/2016 12:28:21 PM

Linda Grassman
Linda Grassman
I've gotten very into logic puzzles in the past few months and even ordered a whole box of logic puzzle books. My problem is that I can solve the first 30 or so puzzles in the book, but then I get stuck all the time because it seems like there just isn't enough data supplied by the clues to solve it (although I know it's all there somewhere, just can't see it). When I look at the solutions in the back of the magazine, I can follow some of it, but I can't understand how a lot of the conclusions are drawn. The explanation refers to the clue number, but when I look at the clue, I don't see how it got decided that a certain person or thing got eliminated from the possibilities. It would be nice if the explanation went a bit deeper for newbies like me who can only do 1/3 of the puzzles in each book.

--
Linda Grassman

11/23/2016 10:04:43 AM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
I also get irritated by answers in the back of the book which I can't quite follow. I refer to such answers as "leaps of logic." Sometimes I just give up on understanding how the editors got their answer, and in the grid, where I usually put the clue number to show how I got "this" or "not that," I put an "H" for "Hint" instead of a clue number. Then I go on from there. Good luck, Linda.

--
Amy

11/25/2016 9:29:41 AM

Josh
Josh
A two-step deduction is usually what's needed in those middle puzzles to make the connection. Here's a really basic example that might help illustrate it. Let's say the clues tell you Mary can't be A, B or D. So she's C or E. Let's also say that the person who ate ice cream has to be either A or B. However, you've got Mary still listed as a possibility for ice cream. Since she ant be A or B, you would x out ice cream for Mary. I hope this makes sense; next time I'm solving a logic problem and this scenario comes up I'll take a picture of the grid.

If you haven't already, be sure to read up on Penny Dell's site for how to solve logic problems:

https://www.pennydellpuzzles.com/upload/documents/How%20to%20Solve%20Logic%20Problems.pdf

As well as table logic problems:

https://www.pennydellpuzzles.com/upload/documents/How%20to%20Solve%20Logic%20Tables.pdf

11/26/2016 3:20:17 AM

Linda Grassman
Linda Grassman
Thank you Amy and Josh. I'll take your suggestions. I'm getting better at understanding the more puzzles I solve (or at least try!). I appreciate your help

--
Linda Grassman

Home » Math and Logic Problem Exchange » Need help! New to logic puzzles.