Solver's Forum
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Let Us Know About Possible Mistakes (Dell) » Dell Suiting Words on website 12/17/16

Let Us Know About Possible Mistakes.
12/17/2016 10:59:34 AM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
The editors chose the word "acting" for a word beginning with "A." It yields only 33 points. But I found "anise," which yields 36 points. I wonder why the editors didn't find "anise."

--
Amy

7/31/2017 1:54:27 PM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
On the website on 7/17/17, there was a "Suiting Words" which listed as a word beginning with M, "Malice" which is worth only 34 points. I found "myelin" (and it's in the dictionary, not foreign, not slang, etc) which is worth 37 points. I think the editors could have gotten 3 more points in their total.

--
Amy

8/1/2017 11:08:28 AM

Bernadette1959
Bernadette1959
Hi Amy,

I guess I've always viewed puzzles/ games like Suiting Words and Masterworks, etc. as ones where part of the fun is in trying to beat the score achieved by the Editors. Don't you suppose these omissions of certain possible words are intentional? If the Editor's score could never be surpassed, I think it would deter solvers from even trying. So while they always present a very good score, they don't wish to make it impossible for solvers to outdo them from time to time.

I may be wrong, but this has always been my impression of puzzles/games like these! smile

Bernadette

9/27/2017 8:29:28 AM

Dell Editorial Staff
Dell Editorial Staff
Hello...sorry for the delay in responding to your posting. From the editorial perspective, we have to make a determination with answers for certain puzzles as to whether or not we think a majority of solvers will be familiar with a certain word. It's for this reason that we would not have included "myelin" in the Suiting Words answer, figuring that it's not a word that would be known by most people. In the case of "anise," that's a trickier one. For those who cook or like to read cookbooks, it's likely a very familiar word; however, for some others, it's not.

Similar decisions have to be made with Word Mines and Spellathon puzzles. Sometimes it comes down to one's frame of reference. Among our staff we've had discussions about the word "hosta," for example. As someone who gardens and spends a bit of time in nurseries, it's a word that I'm very familiar with, but others on staff have given me a quizzical look when I've asked them if they know what it means. We often have to make subjective decisions about certain words, but our feeling has always been that if a word is familiar to a solver, we give kudos to that person even if said entry wasn't in our printed answer.

9/27/2017 11:14:13 AM

Semipro
Semipro
Dell Editorial Staff wrote:
. . . we would not have included "myelin" in the Suiting Words answer, figuring that it's not a word that would be known by most people. In the case of "anise," that's a trickier one. For those who cook or like to read cookbooks, it's likely a very familiar word; however, for some others, it's not.

A diverse audience would make for tough calls. The butterfly in my avatar is an Anise Swallowtail (Papilio zelicaon), named for what the caterpillars eat: fennel and some of its relatives. Myelin came up in high-school biology. But most people don't spend so much time with butterflies, and some solvers are young enough that biology courses are still ahead for them.

Home » Let Us Know About Possible Mistakes (Dell) » Dell Suiting Words on website 12/17/16