Solver's Forum
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Word Seek Corner » Here and There, revisited

Solvers helping solvers.
12/20/2016 11:41:24 AM

Bernadette1959
Bernadette1959
Frances posted a question about this puzzle six years ago, asking how solvers went about finding the solution. I replied that I simply looked over each puzzle, finding a word in one diagram and then looking to see if that same word could be found in the other diagram, and so on back and forth.

I had intended to come here today and say that after several years of solving more and more word seeks, and completing probably 45-50 more "Here and There" puzzles, one foolproof tip was to never bother looking for another word starting with the same letter of a shared word already found. Because I'd never come across a solution having two words beginning with the same letter. UNTIL TODAY! I was solving in last year's Christmas issue (vol. 62) of Spotlight Movie and TV Word Seek and the very first Here and There puzzle contains two words both beginning with "B."

So much for my foolproof tip. Back to just head-scratching and hair-pulling and if all else fails, looking in the back of the book at the answer. LOL wink

Bernadette
edited by Bernadette1959 on 12/20/2016

12/20/2016 2:09:00 PM

Frances
Frances
Bernadette1959 wrote:
Frances posted a question about this puzzle six years ago, asking how solvers went about finding the solution. I replied that I simply looked over each puzzle, finding a word in one diagram and then looking to see if that same word could be found in the other diagram, and so on back and forth.

I had intended to come here today and say that after several years of solving more and more word seeks, and completing probably 45-50 more "Here and There" puzzles, one foolproof tip was to never bother looking for another word starting with the same letter of a shared word already found. Because I'd never come across a solution having two words beginning with the same letter. UNTIL TODAY! I was solving in last year's Christmas issue (vol. 62) of Spotlight Movie and TV Word Seek and the very first Here and There puzzle contains two words both beginning with "B."

So much for my foolproof tip. Back to just head-scratching and hair-pulling and if all else fails, looking in the back of the book at the answer. LOL wink

Bernadette
edited by Bernadette1959 on 12/20/2016

Having all the answer words start with different letters may be just the preference of the constructor(s). I have seen other examples with 2 words (and one with 3 words!) starting with the same letter. I like all different first letters----just for the variety.

12/20/2016 5:00:44 PM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
What is a "Here and There" puzzle? I don't know if I've ever seen one.

--
Amy

12/20/2016 7:05:33 PM

Frances
Frances
Amy Lowenstein wrote:

A Here & There Word Seek has 2 different puzzles on a page. Each diagram has numerous 6-letter words hidden in it, but only some words are in both diagrams. The solver has to find those identical words, which won't be in the same place in the two diagrams. The word count for these pairs of words ranges from 7 (normal for smaller grids in digest-sized magazines) to 10 words (only in regular-sized magazines).
edited by Frances on 12/20/2016

12/21/2016 5:21:04 AM

Bernadette1959
Bernadette1959
Frances wrote:
Having all the answer words start with different letters may be just the preference of the constructor(s). I have seen other examples with 2 words (and one with 3 words!) starting with the same letter. I like all different first letters----just for the variety.

So do I, Frances!

12/21/2016 5:35:09 AM

Bernadette1959
Bernadette1959
Amy Lowenstein wrote:

And just to add to what Frances said, Amy, these puzzles sound really easy in theory but some constructors have a knack of making them extremely challenging, and I solve them mostly in the digest-sized magazines where only seven shared words need to be found. I've come across Here and There puzzles where I have to resort to writing the words down (instead of just scanning) and I might find seven or eight in each puzzle before I ever find one that is included in both grids. Sometimes the words are similar - like "pocket" in one diagram, and "rocket" in another, or pieces of the same word or used in both diagrams but not the same word, if that makes sense.

Again, it doesn't sound difficult but I do occasionally have to look at the answers. smile

12/23/2016 11:15:19 AM

Indiana Puzzler
Indiana Puzzler
Hi Bernadette

I find these puzzles challenging in that the word list is blinded. My technique (if anyone cares) is to write the words for each puzzle down next to the letter grid and then underline the same words found. I then jot to keep count.

Chris

12/24/2016 11:59:52 AM

Bernadette1959
Bernadette1959
Hi Chris!

That's the way I used to solve these puzzles as well, and I think I'm going to go back to this method!

Hope you and your family are doing well. Merry Christmas! smile

Bernadette

Home » Word Seek Corner » Here and There, revisited