Solver's Forum
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Math and Logic Problem Exchange » Math & Logic 3/17, Sum Logic #1

Logic Problem fans, discuss solutions and get solving help.
1/10/2017 7:23:47 PM

Josh
Josh
Hi Dell editors,

I remember solving this one at some point (perhaps a back issue batch) but didn't share then, and it's repeated with the same issue here: The first two squares of the third and fifth rows of Sum Logic #1 in this issue both use the numbers 19 and 4, making a non-unique answer as they can be alternated and still have a successful solve. I'm pretty sure the goal is a unique solution so wanted to mention it here in case that's an issue.

Thanks,

Josh
edited by jjofriends on 1/10/2017

3/15/2017 9:41:35 PM

gauthier
gauthier
Hi, I haven't seen the problem myself (my M&L subscription lapsed), but the rules of Sum Logic require that the diagonals also add to the target number and that no number is repeated in a row, column, or diagonal. Did you check both ways to see if one of them could be ruled out for this reason?

3/16/2017 9:39:04 PM

Josh
Josh
gauthier wrote:
Hi, I haven't seen the problem myself (my M&L subscription lapsed), but the rules of Sum Logic require that the diagonals also add to the target number and that no number is repeated in a row, column, or diagonal. Did you check both ways to see if one of them could be ruled out for this reason?

In all my years of solving it I never noticed diagonal in the directions, and I think this might be the only time where that was required to solve that I can recall. Good catch gauthier - that would indeed create a unique solution. I guess that goes to show that as long as one might be a solver, there's sometimes directions that can be missed after all that time!

Home » Math and Logic Problem Exchange » Math & Logic 3/17, Sum Logic #1