Solver's Forum
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » General Discussion » What kind of pens and pencils do you use?

General Discussion.
2/14/2017 2:26:41 PM

Jagsanders
Jagsanders
For me, the type of pen and pencil I use to do the puzzles are just as important as the brand of puzzles. I will only purchase Penny Dell products. I have so many other brands that I've gotten as gifts that I just don't enjoy using.

The pens I use are Pentel RSVP clear barrel. They don't bleed through the page to the other side. I prefer fine point. They have six colors. I recently found Hot Pink and Sky Blue. I had to buy a dozen of each but it made my year having new colors.

My mechanical pencils are also Pentel Razzle Dazzle Icy. They fit my hands perfectly. Around the time that school supplies go on sale, I can usually find 10 packs at a decent price. I've tried red and blue lead refills but they break easily.

Let's not forget the eraser. Again, I use Pentel Clic Eraser.

No, I do not work for Pentel or any office supply store. I've tried using other products but haven't found anything I like. I can't tell you how many gel pens I've tried in both medium and fine but they all bleed through.

I am always looking for a different product. So, what do you use?

2/14/2017 3:23:32 PM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
I usually use Sharp Pentel mechanical pencils with .7 mm lead size. They are called "Drafting pencils," if that means anything. I have to take the cap off the bottom, in order to get at the eraser, and often I wear down the eraser before I use up the leads, but that's the way it goes. So I also try to have handy, some white "stand-alone" erasers (I don't even know what they're called, because the labels have long since come off the erasers).

By the way, Jagsanders, many years ago there was a similar discussion on this forum about what kinds of pens and pencils we use. You might be able to find it if you search by topic.

--
Amy

2/14/2017 6:29:13 PM

Jagsanders
Jagsanders
Thanks Amy.

2/14/2017 7:07:30 PM

Indiana Puzzler
Indiana Puzzler
I have used all sorts. I have landed on Bic products as the most reliable with a smooth line in their pens and they write 'right' away. We just dumped a bunch of old Papermates. I like their InkJoys but they don't seem to go lower than 1 mm (at least from what I can find). I also like Zebra F-301. They are great for crosswords - very fine, but good lines.

I love a good debate about writing implements. Thanks for the post, Jagsanders.

4/28/2017 2:31:48 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
I agree Jagsanders, having the right equipment to puzzle with is just as important as the puzzles! My favorite brand when it comes to mechanical pencils is Pentel. I especially like using the side-advance models.

When it comes to erasers I also enjoy the Pentel Clic-Eraser. I enjoy doing Logic Art puzzles and just recently discovered a little gem that lets me get into those small areas when I want to clean up my lines. It's called the Tombow Mono Zero Eraser and the tip is only 2.3mm. It's nice when you want to erase fine details.

I'm not brave enough to use regular pens and have found a line of erasable pens that I love! They're made by Pilot and are called Frixion pens.

One other supply that is as important to me as writing tools and erasers is my clipboard. It's a storage clipboard!! My favorite is one I found at Walmart and made by Dexas. It's durable, lets me store extra puzzles and supplies inside, and lets me puzzle anywhere!

I also enjoy trying out different grades and brands of lead refills. For doing logic puzzles I like the dark smooth leads, such as 4B leads, but when doing the picture puzzles I prefer a harder lead that doesn't smear.

For anyone interested, Jetpens.com is a great website for pen and pencil addicts.

Also, here's the thread that Amy mentioned: https://www.pennydellpuzzles.com/forum/topic370-writing-utensil-for-puzzles.aspx
edited by Purple Pisces on 4/28/2017

Home » General Discussion » What kind of pens and pencils do you use?