Solver's Forum
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Let Us Know About Possible Mistakes (Dell) » Dell Math & Logic March 2017 p.27 Horrible clue

Let Us Know About Possible Mistakes.
2/27/2017 7:42:13 PM

Greg
Greg
Spoiler Alert

Clue #5 reads "Bonnie (who didn't bake the chocolate cake) earned half as many points as the person who baked the vanilla cake, who earned more points than Glover."

In the solution, Bonnie *is* Glover and Glover is Bonnie. She is Bonnie Glover. I think that is a horrible clue. A clue bad enough to make me log in and post about it. If a single one sentence clue says that the vanilla cake is double one thing and more than another thing, that means to me TWO things, not the same one. If they'd seperated the information into a different clue, then I could see categorizing Glover as less, and Bonnie as half without being misleading.

If it is going to include the same person twice in the same sentence/clue, then it should have said "...vanilla cake, who earned DOUBLE the points that Glover earned" if it is going to say "Bonnie earned HALF...". Otherwise, the logic dictates to me that they are not the same person. Yes, "double" is "more", but I think in this case, because of the way it is seperated and worded all in the same clue/sentence, it means that "more" is not "double" and Glover is not Bonnie.

This made the puzzle unsolvable. I tried for a very long time to resolve the contradictions until I was forced to look up the solution. Very disappointed.

Greg

2/27/2017 8:59:23 PM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
Greg wrote:
Spoiler Alert

Clue #5 reads "Bonnie (who didn't bake the chocolate cake) earned half as many points as the person who baked the vanilla cake, who earned more points than Glover."

In the solution, Bonnie *is* Glover and Glover is Bonnie. She is Bonnie Glover. I think that is a horrible clue. A clue bad enough to make me log in and post about it. If a single one sentence clue says that the vanilla cake is double one thing and more than another thing, that means to me TWO things, not the same one. If they'd seperated the information into a different clue, then I could see categorizing Glover as less, and Bonnie as half without being misleading.

If it is going to include the same person twice in the same sentence/clue, then it should have said "...vanilla cake, who earned DOUBLE the points that Glover earned" if it is going to say "Bonnie earned HALF...". Otherwise, the logic dictates to me that they are not the same person. Yes, "double" is "more", but I think in this case, because of the way it is seperated and worded all in the same clue/sentence, it means that "more" is not "double" and Glover is not Bonnie.

This made the puzzle unsolvable. I tried for a very long time to resolve the contradictions until I was forced to look up the solution. Very disappointed.

Greg

Yes, it sounds like a misleading clue to me. But over the years, I've learned not to take inferences just because one clue says "double" and also says "more," if you know what I mean.

I hope the other puzzles in this volume are up to snuff!

--
Amy

Home » Let Us Know About Possible Mistakes (Dell) » Dell Math & Logic March 2017 p.27 Horrible clue