Solver's Forum
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » General Discussion » OT: Amy's cancer update of 3/15/17

General Discussion.
|
3/15/2017 9:47:01 PM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
It’s been a while since my last update. Since then I’ve had ups and downs with health, chiefly being out of breath since around mid-February. They’ve done a million tests (I’m getting sick of tests already but I’m scheduled for another on Friday 3/17) and seem to find nothing wrong with my heart, most of them (a bunch of doctors and nurse-practitioners) thinking I’m out of shape. When I saw my oncologist on Monday 2/27/17 and complained about being out of breath, she said we’d stop chemo for 3 weeks while I go through all these tests.

My compression pump finally came 3 weeks after St. Mary left me in the lurch without one and without letting me go to their facility and use theirs. I can read, do puzzles, and/or sleep while the pump is on (which I do 3-4 times a week for an hour). The one-hour timer on it means you can’t accidentally pump for too long even if you fall asleep. It keeps my legs nice and skinny for a while, and pumps the excess fluid up to a point where I can excrete it out. I stopped taking the pills for that when I got the pump.

A weird thing happened the other morning: I took the “gripper-slipper” sock off my right foot and then realized I could not find my right “bootie” that I wear at night (and could swear I had been wearing right up to that point). So I got on line and ordered another one for the right foot. Luckily, you can order just one and are not forced to order a pair. Let’s hope the new one comes soon. How the night-time socks will stay on, without a “bootie,” who knows? (Last night I “solved” the problem by keeping my daytime socks on for 36 hours, not a recommended practice.)

So between the cancer, chemotherapy, lymphedema, and Shortness Of Breath (which the doctors abbreviate as SOB, which of course I find amusing), the old adage of “never a dull moment” rings true for me.

Some of you may remember that in my last missive, I quoted Betty MacDonald’s “Onions in the Stew.” I got a cheap paperback version of that book after one of my friends suggested I read it. The author reminds me a little of Erma Bombeck. I liked the whole book (although onions, and stew, were never specifically mentioned in the book, only in the title). Additionally, I was inspired, and will order more of her books, when I saw the blurb on the last page of the book (by, I think, the publisher, George Mann Books, in England). It says “Betty MacDonald’s first three runaway bestsellers recorded her paradoxically hilarious progress through a disastrous first marriage on a remote chicken farm in the Olympic Mountains, followed by the terror of the White Plague and the miseries of mass unemployment during the Great American Depression. Onions in the Stew … is the story of those good times which came later when, happily married again and living with her husband and much loved daughters on the beautiful island of Vashon, opposite Seattle in Puget Sound, international fame as a writer finally knocked at her door. In 1958 cancer suddenly caught up with her and killed her but, as her lifelong friend Blanche Caffiere recalls she was joking right up to the end. She was 49 years old.” The earlier books are listed as The Egg and I, Anybody Can Do Anything, and The Plague and I.

Meanwhile, I will sign off, as usual, with the humorous and/or inspiring quotes I always find.

First is Anacrostic #4 from “Dell Crossword Special” of January 2014. “With American creativeness in the matter of coining first names, one family labeled its fourteenth child ‘Finis.’ Difficulty arose when a fifteenth child came along, but it was solved with ‘Postscript.’ “

Second is an Anagram Magic Square from the website, on 2/21/17: “Life has both roses and thorns.”

Third is a Word Games Puzzle from the website, on 2/15/17: “The farmer explained, ‘Raising tobacco caused an uproar amongst my folks, so I switched to sugar. Now I’m just raising cane.’ “

The last 3 are “Figgerits” #14, 15 and 16 from “Dell Official Variety Puzzles,” August 2015.
#14: “Those who are healthy and satisfied are rich.”
#15: “One can’t be a good liar without a good memory.”
#16: “Thoughts are mightier than great armies.”

As usual, thanks to Elizabeth Palmer for having sent me 40 of her old puzzle books last July. I still have a few of them to get started on, and I still have some "goodies" I want to quote from some of the others she sent me.

Sincerely,

Amy Lowenstein
edited by Amy-in-PA on 3/15/2017

--
Amy

|

Home » General Discussion » OT: Amy's cancer update of 3/15/17