Solver's Forum
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Variety Central » Can someone check a new issue of Penny Press?

See what other Variety puzzle fans have to say/share your solutions.
3/30/2017 9:24:51 PM

JohnJSal
JohnJSal
Hi all. I plan to write a letter to some of the Penny Press production people as a follow-up to my letter last year about the degradation of ink quality since switching publishers. But I haven't purchased any new issues since then because of that poor quality, so I want to make sure everyone I'm writing to is still there and in their position from last year.

Can someone confirm in a recent issue if the following is correct. Thank you!

Susan Mangan, VP Design & Production
Warren Rivers, Editorial Director
Tom Schaumann, Managing Editor
Amy K. Roth, Executive Editor
Tony Vauiso, Print Production Director
edited by JohnJSal on 3/30/2017

3/31/2017 11:49:48 AM

Frances
Frances
JohnJSal wrote:
Hi all. I plan to write a letter to some of the Penny Press production people as a follow-up to my letter last year about the degradation of ink quality since switching publishers. But I haven't purchased any new issues since then because of that poor quality, so I want to make sure everyone I'm writing to is still there and in their position from last year.

I have Master's Variety, Volume 108 (June 2017), and it's the same.

3/31/2017 11:52:34 AM

JohnJSal
JohnJSal
Frances wrote:
JohnJSal wrote:

I have Master's Variety, Volume 108 (June 2017), and it's the same.

Thanks! Not that I expect this letter to make a difference, but I always planned to do a follow-up anyway!

5/30/2017 7:37:25 PM

Semipro
Semipro
Bernadette1959 wrote:
On page 67 . . . the page is folded down and stuck inside the binding. It tore when I straightened it out, and of course, this page is larger than all the others so when the magazine is closed it sticks out.

Talk about sloppy publishing! :/

Bernadette

Bernadette, that's an error made by a machine at a bindery. This kind of thing occasionally happens with quite reputable national magazines that have larger circulations than the one where you found it. Or the ink will be way too light or too dark on part of a page, or smeared, or the colors in a photo won't line up. It's unfortunate that you got a flawed copy, but when they print thousands, and not by hand, inevitably a few will turn out that way.

5/30/2017 9:22:17 PM

Bernadette1959
Bernadette1959
John,

I have sent you a private message.

Bernadette

5/31/2017 1:41:45 PM

Frances
Frances
Semipro wrote:

Bernadette, that's an error made by a machine at a bindery. This kind of thing occasionally happens with quite reputable national magazines that have larger circulations than the one where you found it. Or the ink will be way too light or too dark on part of a page, or smeared, or the colors in a photo won't line up. It's unfortunate that you got a flawed copy, but when they print thousands, and not by hand, inevitably a few will turn out that way.

Sometimes when changes are made----different ink, printer, binder, magazine size----you might get less the occasional error, than that of a production problem.

If you change to an easily erasable ink, for example, then that would affect all the copies to a certain extent. And recently I was looking at a Penny magazine, which when opened, showed a somewhat buckling inside along the joining, and wrinkling of a page or two. All six other copies were just like it.

Home » Variety Central » Can someone check a new issue of Penny Press?