Solver's Forum
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Let Us Know About Possible Mistakes (Dell) » Poorly Worded Clue -- Logic Lover's Feb. 2014

Let Us Know About Possible Mistakes.
4/9/2017 11:44:08 AM

Michael1973
Michael1973
I came across a clue that can be interpreted two ways, and naturally I read it the wrong way and messed up the puzzle. It's in the February 2014 edition of Logic Lovers, in the puzzle on page 58 called "Culinary Creations." Here we're trying to determine information about six cooking students (three men and three women), including which relative gave them their recipe. One clue reads as follows:

"The student who prepared a dish 12 times and the one enrolled in the theater course are the one whose recipe came from an aunt and a man, in some order."

The correct way to read this is that the two people referenced here are "someone who got a recipe from an aunt" and "a man."

I read it as "someone who got a recipe from an aunt" and "someone who got a recipe from a man."

What do you think?
edited by Michael1973 on 4/9/2017

4/9/2017 12:35:22 PM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
Michael1973 wrote:
I came across a clue that can be interpreted two ways, and naturally I read it the wrong way and messed up the puzzle. It's in the February 2014 edition of Logic Lovers, in the puzzle on page 58 called "Culinary Creations." Here we're trying to determine information about six cooking students (three men and three women), including which relative gave them their recipe. One clue reads as follows:

"The student who prepared a dish 12 times and the one enrolled in the theater course are the one whose recipe came from an aunt and a man, in some order."

The correct way to read this is that the two people referenced here are "someone who got a recipe from an aunt" and "a man."

I read it as "someone who got a recipe from an aunt" and "someone who got a recipe from a man."

What do you think?
edited by Michael1973 on 4/9/2017

Hi, Michael. I, too, thought of your quote as "someone who got a recipe from an aunt," and "someone who got a recipe from a man." I agree it's poorly worded. Give me a chance to misinterpret something, and I will (as I often tell my bridge partners).

--
Amy

Home » Let Us Know About Possible Mistakes (Dell) » Poorly Worded Clue -- Logic Lover's Feb. 2014