Solver's Forum
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Crossword Talk » Shank

Discuss your favorite Crosswords. If you need solving help, ask here!
4/18/2017 4:16:51 PM

Frances
Frances
Dell's Sunday Crosswords, Spring 2017, page 53, Diagramless One:

Clue 4 Down: ____ of the evening
Answer: Shank

That's a new one for me. My dictionary says this meaning of shank can be the early or latter or main/best part of a period of time.

"It was just the shank of the evening when the party began."
"They didn't get started until the shank of the morning."
"Don't leave yet, it's just the shank of the evening."

Are any of you familiar with this usage?

4/18/2017 9:17:24 PM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
I had never before heard "shank" used in the way you describe. I know only of a "shank bone," in the leg.

--
Amy

4/19/2017 11:17:18 AM

Semipro
Semipro
I've seen it in reading, though not recently. Much of my childhood reading was old books, which my mother bought used. She used to get a box of assorted books at the Salvation Army store for a dollar. That was a long time ago. I won't say just how long, but some of the books were published in the 19th century. It seems to me that I saw "shank" used with "evening" only.

4/21/2017 10:39:47 AM

Bernadette1959
Bernadette1959
Hi Frances,

Not only am I familiar with that usage, it's the only definition of the word I've ever known! LOL Maybe it's used more here in the Deep South? I've heard it used many, many times in conversations during my lifetime. smile

Bernadette

5/20/2017 8:28:51 AM

Bernadette1959
Bernadette1959
Speaking of unfamiliar usages of words, I was working a Quotagram puzzle yesterday and discovered that "fetish" is another word for "amulet." I've never seen fetish used in any other way than to describe some sort of proclivity for some thing or activity, often of a sexual nature. Live and learn! smile

Bernadette
edited by Bernadette1959 on 5/20/2017

Home » Crossword Talk » Shank