Solver's Forum
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Collector's Series Corner » Cryptoquizzes

Discuss your favorite Collector’s Series puzzle books and get solving help.
7/4/2017 10:12:32 PM

Frances
Frances
I recently ordered a pack of 8 Penny Press Crypto-Families. They must have run short as 2 were Dell's version Cryptoquizzes. I'll do my best with these Dell magazines, but some of the titles leave me a bit worried.

2008 Oscar Also-Rans
Colors and Their French Translations
Athletes Who've Hosted "Saturday Night Live"
3-Letter Words After "Over"
Noted Trumpeters
14-Letter "C" Words
Words That Make a New Word with "S" in Front
All About Sigmund Freud
Lawgivers Pictured in the Supreme Court
Adjectives for Penguins
Index Fingers Can . . .
Foods Popular in Israel
Last-Minute Present Ideas
Famous Princeton Grads
Abigail Adams Was A(N) . . .
9-Letter Voice Adjectives

I do like a challenge, but it looks like I may be getting a first-word "help" here and there.

7/5/2017 10:18:23 AM

Bernadette1959
Bernadette1959
Many of the Cryptoquizzes and Crypto-Families puzzles have gotten very difficult here lately. The subjects are either very esoteric ones, or very broad ones. I came across a puzzle the other day that was simply titled "Middle Names." Considering how many millions of names there are in use, I didn't waste any time but simply looked up the first word in the list on the solutions page.

I wish that PennyDell would consider adding a "first word" help section for Cryptoquizzes/Crypto-Families in the solutions pages. It's hard to avoid seeing the entire lot of answers when you look back for only one help word.

smile

7/8/2017 9:10:56 AM

Indiana Puzzler
Indiana Puzzler
Hi Bernadette!

I completely agree with you. I feel that I have the decoding skills, but figuring the theme answers sometimes is tough as the clue provided can be confusing.

I'll take a peak to confirm the theme answer more than the code.

Chris

7/9/2017 1:10:08 AM

Bernadette1959
Bernadette1959
Hi, Chris!

Yes, confusing is right. For the puzzle titled "Middle Names" the example given was "Rodham" for Hillary Rodham Clinton, which I personally would have classified as a maiden name, as I believe Mrs. Clinton's actual middle name is Diane. But that may be splitting hairs. Anyway, this example really didn't give me anything to go on, and as it turned out, a couple of the answers were middle names of former presidents but the rest were notables from other walks of life. (I am still not able to identify the person with the middle name of "Love.") Here are the answers, by the way:

Delano, Gurley, Lutwidge, Tyler, Milhous, Wadsworth, Amadeus, Love, Higgins, Alva.

Again, I simply wouldn't have known where to start solving this one had I not looked at the answers. :/

Bernadette

ETA: My daughter suggested the puzzle constructor could have intended one of the people to be Jennifer LOVE Hewitt. Maybe so. smile
edited by Bernadette1959 on 7/9/2017

7/14/2017 9:28:02 PM

Bernadette1959
Bernadette1959
In the interest of giving credit where credit is due, I wanted to mention that today I purchased a copy of Dell Solver's Choice Variety Puzzles, volume 35, and it contains some wonderful Cryptoquizzes categories! Here they are:

1. Butcher shop purchases
2. Amusement park features
3. TV show titles with abbreviations
4. On their lunch hours, people…
5. “W” occupations
6. Veeps who didn’t become U.S. Presidents
7. All about Mark Twain
8. Words containing “tin”
9. Some patriotic songs
10. Vegetable talk
11. Imaginary beings
12. People on 1960s TV Guide covers
13. Cary Grant movies
14. Ancient Greeks of note
15. Words ending in “tchy”
16. Charles Dickens characters
17. In medieval days
18. Cities in Ontario

Someone from PennyDell must have read this thread and gotten right on top of the situation. LOL wink

Bernadette

7/15/2017 11:51:50 AM

Frances
Frances
Bernadette1959 wrote:
In the interest of giving credit where credit is due, I wanted to mention that today I purchased a copy of Dell Solver's Choice Variety Puzzles, volume 35, and it contains some wonderful Cryptoquizzes categories! Here they are:

1. Butcher shop purchases
2. Amusement park features
3. TV show titles with abbreviations
4. On their lunch hours, people…
5. “W” occupations
6. Veeps who didn’t become U.S. Presidents
7. All about Mark Twain
8. Words containing “tin”
9. Some patriotic songs
10. Vegetable talk
11. Imaginary beings
12. People on 1960s TV Guide covers
13. Cary Grant movies
14. Ancient Greeks of note
15. Words ending in “tchy”
16. Charles Dickens characters
17. In medieval days
18. Cities in Ontario

Someone from PennyDell must have read this thread and gotten right on top of the situation. LOL wink

Bernadette

Those are good categories. A nice mix. Yesterday I did 4 1/2 pages of one of the Cryptoquizzes volumes, and while I had to get help on one category, I did manage to get "All About Sigmund Freud" and "Lawgivers Pictured In The Supreme Court" by myself! I've enjoyed the solving so far, so maybe it won't turn out as I first thought. smile

7/15/2017 1:19:22 PM

Bernadette1959
Bernadette1959
It sounds like you were busy yesterday, Frances! Do you mind me asking, was the cryptoquiz titled "Lawgivers Pictured in the Supreme Court" about former Supreme Court Justices?

I mentioned earlier in my reply to Chris that I wished PennyDell might consider giving solvers a "first word" help section for Cryptoquizzes in the back of the magazines. I discovered yesterday there is indeed a help section for Cryptoquizzes in the back of Good Time Variety Puzzles. I don't normally buy this magazine but I found one I had tucked away in a drawer and cracked it open yesterday.
edited by Bernadette1959 on 7/15/2017

7/16/2017 2:50:36 PM

Frances
Frances
Bernadette1959 wrote:
It sounds like you were busy yesterday, Frances! Do you mind me asking, was the cryptoquiz titled "Lawgivers Pictured in the Supreme Court" about former Supreme Court Justices?

No, they weren't Supreme Court Justices, but lawgivers from throughout history, like Hammurabi. Did you come across a puzzle with Justices in it?

Here's something that helps me when I get stumped on Places, Please. I look for word groups that start on the edge with 5 words, or inside with 8 words. Also limiting are those groups that start only 2 squares from an edge.

I lightly draw lines out from these numbered squares in all possible directions, for as many squares as the shortest word in the group. Then I look for words of other groups that might cross these lines. But maybe you already do something like this.

7/16/2017 5:05:03 PM

Bernadette1959
Bernadette1959
Hi Frances!

No, I haven't come across a cryptoquiz with Supreme Court Justices in it. I asked because I was going to ask you to share that puzzle with me, if the subject had indeed been the names of Justices. My son recently visited the Supreme Court and I was going to share the puzzle with him. smile

I've never drawn lines when solving Places, Please puzzles but that's a very good idea! I usually just sort of do it in my head but it would definitely be easier if I actually drew the lines on the paper. My biggest problem when doing Places, Please puzzles is that I have a tendency to often write a letter in the wrong space. That's pretty bad, isn't it? Or sometimes I'll even leave off a letter on a long word. Just not paying close enough attention! I end up with a free space when I've finished placing all of the words and then I have to start backtracking to see what I did. LOL wink
edited by Bernadette1959 on 7/16/2017

7/16/2017 6:57:01 PM

Frances
Frances
Bernadette1959 wrote:
.... I'll even leave off a letter on a long word..... I end up with a free space when I've finished ....

That reminds me of my doing crosswords. Say one letter is in place and I'm putting my answer in. After skipping the letter already there, I go ahead and write that letter in the next space. So I run out of spaces at the end. "Darn. Was sure that was right." [erase, erase, erase] "Oh, wait . . ."

7/17/2017 11:21:41 AM

Frances
Frances
Cryptoquiz of Supreme Court Justices:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/149284839@N08/35851383261

7/18/2017 8:32:22 AM

Bernadette1959
Bernadette1959
Frances,

Thank you!! That puzzle was so much fun! I'm going to print out a copy and send it to my son. I know he'll enjoy solving it! I certainly did! smile

(You need to submit this one to PennyDell!)

Thanks again!

7/18/2017 8:47:14 AM

Bernadette1959
Bernadette1959
Frances wrote:
That reminds me of my doing crosswords. Say one letter is in place and I'm putting my answer in. After skipping the letter already there, I go ahead and write that letter in the next space. So I run out of spaces at the end. "Darn. Was sure that was right." [erase, erase, erase] "Oh, wait . . ."

Since PennyDell started using different ink in their publications, I've gone back to solving most all of my puzzles with a pen. I would rather just write over a mistake than erase and lose the printed puzzle along with my error. :/

9/5/2017 10:37:51 PM

Frances
Frances
Still enjoying my Dell Cryptoquizzes volumes. Recently I did a category of "I" edibles. Irish stew, ice cream, etc. Iguana meat slowed me a bit. I Googled it, and apparently people are dining on iguanas in various places. I couldn't bring myself to investigate any further than the search page, though. So, in a later cryptoquiz of "Y" edibles, I got yak meat right in there with yam and Yorkshire pudding with no hesitation.

They had quite a few of our presidents as categories spread throughout. My only complaint there is that "president" was the first word on every one of them. Every couple of pages I do have to get a hint from the back, but I saw that coming.

Over all, though, I'm passing my puzzle time pleasantly with Dell's Cryptoquizzes of the Collector's Series.

9/7/2017 9:38:16 AM

Bernadette1959
Bernadette1959
Iguana meat? I wonder if it tastes just like chicken? LOL! smile

I'm just curious. What were the other "I" foods besides ice cream, irish stew and iguana meat?

9/7/2017 10:38:00 AM

Frances
Frances
Bernadette1959 wrote:
I'm just curious. What were the other "I" foods besides ice cream, irish stew and iguana meat?

Italian dressing, Indian rice pudding, iodized salt, instant oatmeal, and Idaho potato.

9/8/2017 5:52:00 PM

Bernadette1959
Bernadette1959
Thank you, Frances! smile
edited by Bernadette1959 on 9/8/2017

9/25/2017 5:51:52 PM

bcot980625@aol.com
bcot980625@aol.com
lol! i thought i was the only one who sometimes couldn't BEGIN to understand the "example", but who only found it confusing. there was one that stands out in my mind, among many others. (i once had a WHOLE PAGE of puzzles in one of the collectors books that had NOTHING to do w/the titles nor with the examples. my husband verified this by looking at the answers 4 me.) anyway, the one that stands out 4 me was titled "O-town". apparently everyone in the world is supposed to know that Orlando, FL is called "O-town" as a nickname i guess. my husband had to look at the answers 4 that one 4 me, also, and we went back and forth a lot with me trying to make sure he didn't give anything away, while HE had no idea even when he was looking at the answers, what they had in common. after a while i asked him if every answer could be found in orlando, fl, and he said at least some of them seemed to be, so i went from there. i mean, gosh!

IMPORTANT: I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR OLD ISSUES OF BOTH CRYPTO-FAMILIES, CRYPTO-QUIZZES, and even crypto-clans which are from a different publisher i think. ANYONE HAVING OLD ISSUES OF THESE, EVEN IF THEY'VE BEEN WRITTEN IN, PLEASE PLEASE LET ME KNOW.
I WILL BUY THEM FROM YOU AT A GOOD PRICE! MY "WANT LIST" IS IN AN OLD POST OF MINE RIGHT IN THIS AREA OF THIS WEBSITE. thank u to anyone who can help!

Home » Collector's Series Corner » Cryptoquizzes