Solver's Forum
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Let Us Know About Possible Mistakes (Dell) » Original Logic Problems August 2017

Let Us Know About Possible Mistakes.
7/25/2017 12:47:09 PM

braggin
braggin
In Original Logic Problems August 2017 From the Professor's File which is on p. 66, the solution on p. 88 under A in the middle of the middle column contains the sentences "The professor in (5) wasn't in room 10" (which is correct) followed by "If he or she were the professor in room 8, room 10 was occupied by a professor (above), so Dr. Hong in room 9 would have given the "Proto Man" talk (5), so the three lectures on Dr. Hong's day would've all covered prehistory themes (introduction), which isn't possible (1)." But I don't see how this can be correct, since the talk delivered 1 hour before Dr. Hong's talk on the same day was "The Silk Route" which was an ancient history theme (1).
edited by braggin on 7/25/2017

7/26/2017 10:40:01 AM

LogicEditor
LogicEditor
braggin wrote:
In Original Logic Problems August 2017 From the Professor's File which is on p. 66, the solution on p. 88 under A in the middle of the middle column contains the sentences "The professor in (5) wasn't in room 10" (which is correct) followed by "If he or she were the professor in room 8, room 10 was occupied by a professor (above), so Dr. Hong in room 9 would have given the "Proto Man" talk (5), so the three lectures on Dr. Hong's day would've all covered prehistory themes (introduction), which isn't possible (1)." But I don't see how this can be correct, since the talk delivered 1 hour before Dr. Hong's talk on the same day was "The Silk Route" which was an ancient history theme (1).

Thanks for your post. The introduction states: "Each day's three lectures followed a different one of three themes -- ancient history ... pre-history ... or theory." Thus, if Dr. Hong had lectured on "Proto Man," which is a pre-history topic, then, by the introduction, ALL of the lectures on that day would be be on pre-history topics. This, however, contradicts clue 1, which states that Dr. Hong lectured on the same day someone spoke on "The Silk Road," which is an ancient-history topic.
I hope you have found this explanation helpful!

7/27/2017 9:13:01 AM

braggin
braggin
braggin wrote:
LogicEditor wrote:
braggin wrote:

Thanks for your post. The introduction states: "Each day's three lectures followed a different one of three themes -- ancient history ... pre-history ... or theory." Thus, if Dr. Hong had lectured on "Proto Man," which is a pre-history topic, then, by the introduction, ALL of the lectures on that day would be be on pre-history topics. This, however, contradicts clue 1, which states that Dr. Hong lectured on the same day someone spoke on "The Silk Road," which is an ancient-history topic.
I hope you have found this explanation helpful!

OK I get it now but the reason for the confusion is because the quote from the intro can be read in two ways. I read it as meaning that one of the three day's lectures would be an ancient history theme, another a pre-history and a third a theory, NOT as meaning all three on each day would be one of ancient history, pre-history or theory. I really think this sentence should be re-written to make it clearer that the latter meaning is what is intended.
edited by braggin on 7/27/2017

7/27/2017 11:04:42 AM

Semipro
Semipro
braggin (and Logic Editor), I don't have a copy of the puzzle, but it seems to me as well that the sentence is ambiguous. "Followed a different one of three themes" isn't clear.

7/28/2017 12:56:04 PM

LogicEditor
LogicEditor
Thanks for your feedback. I am wondering how we could rephrase that to make it clearer. "The three lectures on each day followed the same theme, but each day's theme was different" probably would do the trick. We're sorry for the confusion this poor wording caused.

7/29/2017 6:59:47 AM

braggin
braggin
I think it does the trick too. Thanks!

7/29/2017 11:41:06 AM

Semipro
Semipro
LogicEditor wrote:
Thanks for your feedback. I am wondering how we could rephrase that to make it clearer. "The three lectures on each day followed the same theme, but each day's theme was different" probably would do the trick. We're sorry for the confusion this poor wording caused.

Dear Editor and braggin: Without the whole introduction, I can't tell whether this rewrite would really do the trick or is still tricky. It's easy to think a statement is clear when you already know the meaning. Maybe something like this: "On each day, all three lectures had the same theme: X, Y, or Z. No theme was repeated on another day." But, again, the context is needed. How easily one part will be understood may depend on what information was presented already.

7/29/2017 8:17:28 PM

braggin
braggin
Semipro, I am very sympathetic to the point you make about the context being important. But I was able to complete the entire puzzle, getting exactly the same result as the solution in the back of the magazine issue, armed with the correct information about all three lectures having the same theme on each day and that each day's theme is different from one another. It seems to me that both the LogicEditor's rewrite AND your rewrite both convey that point quite clearly and do indeed lead to the solution quite nicely.

Home » Let Us Know About Possible Mistakes (Dell) » Original Logic Problems August 2017