Solver's Forum
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Let Us Know About Possible Mistakes (PP) » Logic Problem 4, VP&G, Nov 2010

Let Us Know About Possible Mistakes.
8/22/2017 7:59:26 PM

rabidchihuahua
rabidchihuahua
LETHAL LITERATURE: I can get to the point where I can narrow down the book published in 1999 to either Make an Offer or Seconds. I couldn't get past this point, so I looked at your solution. You eliminated Make an Offer based on clue 5 (day after Heidi Winters), but this refers to the day the book was purchased, not the year it was published. What am I missing?

Also, you use the terms "written" and "published" in the clues. I am assuming you are using both terms to mean year it was written/published, since that what we are solving for.

8/22/2017 9:11:07 PM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
Can you type up the intro and clues for those of us who don't have the old magazine handy? Sometimes, we on the forum are quicker to answer people than the editors.

--
Amy

8/24/2017 1:18:19 PM

LogicEditor
LogicEditor
Thanks for your post. Clue 2 states that "the book featuring the villainous Tara Mink was purchased the day before the one written in 1999." Clue 5 tells us that "Make an Offer was purchased the day after the book that features Heidi Winters." Thus, if the 1999 book were Make an Offer, the books featuring Tara Mink and Heidi Winters would have been published on the same day, which isn't possible.
I hope that helps! In answer to your second question, yes, "written" and "published" are meant to be used interchangeably. I hope that wasn't too confusing. We strive to be more rigorous with our cluing - it should have been "written" throughout.

Home » Let Us Know About Possible Mistakes (PP) » Logic Problem 4, VP&G, Nov 2010