Solver's Forum
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Variety Central » Help with a cryptic crossword clue

See what other Variety puzzle fans have to say/share your solutions.
8/31/2017 7:49:51 PM

JohnJSal
JohnJSal
I'm stumped on this one:

Medieval Briton accepted cardinal as divine (7)

I don't want the answer, just some guidance. For example, what is the indicator? If it's "accepted," I still don't know what it intends to do.

Also, which part is the wordplay and which the definition? This particular clue seems a little too "loose" for it to easily stand out.

Thanks!

8/31/2017 10:38:15 PM

Frances
Frances
I have the answer. I don't do many cryptic crosswords (well, practically none), so I'm not familiar with the terminology----such as "indicator". However, "divine" is the definition. "Accepted" can be interpreted as "allowed [in]". Does that help?

9/1/2017 12:00:32 AM

JohnJSal
JohnJSal
The indicator is the word or phrase that tells you what kind of puzzle it is (like an anagram answer, for example).

I'm still stumped, even after your help! Maybe one more clue to help me along? Such as, how should I interpret Medieval Briton?

I think I might feel stupid when I do get it, because I already have four letters in the word! So far:

P_E_I_T

9/1/2017 12:35:31 AM

Frances
Frances
You already have 3 letters of "Medieval Briton" entered, in order. Just one more letter. Although, I think "Ancient Briton" would have been a better clue.

9/1/2017 10:50:58 AM

JohnJSal
JohnJSal
Wow, this one is really twisting up my mind! Let me know if I'm on the right track:

1. I'm thinking "accepted" is the indicator, meaning that whatever "Medieval Briton" turns out to be, the "cardinal" part is supposed to go inside it (like it's been "accepted" inside the word)

2. "cardinal" may mean to use the letter "I" as a stand-in for the number "1," as in cardinal meaning "first"?

3. "as" is not a part of the answer at all?

Thanks. I'll get it if it kills me! ;-)

9/1/2017 11:40:05 AM

Frances
Frances
1. True. 2. False, they just want a synonym for "cardinal". 3. True.
In addition, the answer will be a verb.

9/1/2017 12:36:38 PM

JohnJSal
JohnJSal
Frances wrote:
1. True. 2. False, they just want a synonym for "cardinal". 3. True.
In addition, the answer will be a verb.

Thank you! I finally got it! What really helped was knowing the answer was a verb. I was totally on the wrong track there.

Of course, the answer also involves a word I didn't know and had to look up, plus a slightly odd definition of "cardinal!"

Whew, that will teach me to do cryptic crosswords from the Master/Tournament issues! 😁

9/1/2017 2:54:11 PM

Frances
Frances
I'm glad you got the answer----and that I was able to help you. I've already learned that I shouldn't try cryptic crosswords! smile

9/1/2017 5:47:39 PM

JohnJSal
JohnJSal
Frances wrote:
I'm glad you got the answer----and that I was able to help you. I've already learned that I shouldn't try cryptic crosswords! smile

Ha ha! I think they are really fun. They aren't always this obtuse. I think this one was harder because it was in a Tournament issue. I was curious if the clues would be harder, and some of them are.

If you try them in a more medium difficulty issue, like Variety Puzzles and Games, or Merit, they don't usually require any special knowledge of esoteric words. You just have to get the hang of the clues.

I recommend them, but I guess it's not for everyone! 😊
edited by JohnJSal on 9/1/2017

10/22/2017 11:25:03 AM

Bernadette1959
Bernadette1959
I don't usually solve cryptic crosswords but sometimes I glance at one and manage to figure out some of the answers and then I'm hooked. Most of the time I end up having to look up quite a few of the answers in order to complete one, but that's okay!

Anyway, last night I came across what I thought was a fun Halloween-themed clue and thought I would share it here!

Mr. Lugosi, far from exciting, is overworking. (10)

smile

10/22/2017 12:48:41 PM

Frances
Frances
Bernadette1959 wrote:
I don't usually solve cryptic crosswords but sometimes I glance at one and manage to figure out some of the answers and then I'm hooked. Most of the time I end up having to look up quite a few of the answers in order to complete one, but that's okay!

Anyway, last night I came across what I thought was a fun Halloween-themed clue and thought I would share it here!

Mr. Lugosi, far from exciting, is overworking. (10)

smile

I got it! Thanks for sharing this Bernadette!

10/22/2017 3:57:01 PM

Bernadette1959
Bernadette1959
You're welcome, Frances!

I love your colorful response! LOL smile

Home » Variety Central » Help with a cryptic crossword clue