Solver's Forum
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Math and Logic Problem Exchange » Strategy for solving a "Collectible"?

Logic Problem fans, discuss solutions and get solving help.
11/9/2017 1:44:07 PM

Ramsay MacInnes
Ramsay MacInnes
I'd like to get into Collectible puzzles if I knew how to get the hang of starting them. What specific combos of clues to look for?

--
Ramsay Mac Innes Rmac1117

11/9/2017 7:00:45 PM

Josh
Josh
Ramsay MacInnes wrote:
I'd like to get into Collectible puzzles if I knew how to get the hang of starting them. What specific combos of clues to look for?

Hi Ramsay! What I usually do is put in very small print three letters. They always pick collectibles that have different initials - say red, blue, green becomes RGB. If Row 1 says the red ones are between the green ones, you know red can't be in the far left or right space. If Column A then says both blue ones are below both red ones, you also know that the top two spaces can't be blue. And since 1A can't be red or blue, it has to be green.

Generally you can work to a certain point with that, and then the more general rule of exactly two of each in every row, column and diagonal (that last one is easy to forget, but generally comes into play at some point) will get you to the finish line.

I rarely have encountered a situation where I needed if/then logic to see where something fails, but I can recall at least one particularly challenging one where I had to work it out that way.

Hope this helps!

11/14/2017 8:50:01 AM

Ramsay MacInnes
Ramsay MacInnes
Hello Josh & Thank U. This is the type of advice I was looking for, something to get me started here. I could probably adhere to Collectible puzzles as much as, say What's the Order, Logic Art (which I'll refer to in another Thread), Figure Logics, Math Mazes, the whole works, heaping on various math puzzles especially nearing my (G)olden years, and have several boxes of back issues of PP/D mags to keep me honest. Been subscribing for awhile.
Again, thanx 4 the ignition key & hope to have ?n's about other puzzles in this Forum.
edited by rmac1117 on 11/14/2017

--
Ramsay Mac Innes Rmac1117

11/15/2017 10:34:24 PM

Josh
Josh
Ramsay MacInnes wrote:
Hello Josh & Thank U. This is the type of advice I was looking for, something to get me started here. I could probably adhere to Collectible puzzles as much as, say What's the Order, Logic Art (which I'll refer to in another Thread), Figure Logics, Math Mazes, the whole works, heaping on various math puzzles especially nearing my (G)olden years, and have several boxes of back issues of PP/D mags to keep me honest. Been subscribing for awhile.
Again, thanx 4 the ignition key & hope to have ?n's about other puzzles in this Forum.
edited by rmac1117 on 11/14/2017

No problem! Collectibles is one of my favorites. They are pretty standard fare now in most of Dell's magazines, so it's an itch I get to scratch regularly smile

Home » Math and Logic Problem Exchange » Strategy for solving a "Collectible"?