Solver's Forum
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Variety Central » Unsung Faves

See what other Variety puzzle fans have to say/share your solutions.
11/9/2017 2:05:57 PM

Ramsay MacInnes
Ramsay MacInnes
Throwbacks with 3 or 5-letter words to locate, or from phrases. More Classified Adds, and Quotation Jigsaw (a brilliant puzzle I only see once every few months or so). Maybe "Shadow" or "Match Up" with pix featuring TWO differences, not one. Picture Sleuth with more than three "ubiquities" (maybe 5 or a half-dozen). Puzzle Derby with Consonants==possible? Split'n'Splice the other way 'round (hourglass shape?). Though I'm at the end of my lunch hour, I'll think of others & suggest ideas for them L8R on this Forum (debut user but been doing puzzles All my life).

--
Ramsay Mac Innes Rmac1117

11/9/2017 3:21:54 PM

Frances
Frances
Hi Ramsay! I've enjoyed reading your posts today. Welcome to the forum!

11/14/2017 8:40:03 AM

Ramsay MacInnes
Ramsay MacInnes
Thank You Frances. Others I've thought of ftr this jump-into-the-fire are Masterwords, Scorecard, Diagramless crosswords (always of Course), End-of-the-Line/Categories, Letter Score (adding as few letters as possible to create words), Secret Word (I recently discovered; how about using 4- or 6-letter words as well?), In The Balance/Scales (also seen in Dell). If you ever wanted any alternative layouts for Masterwords, I could suggest a few?

--

11/21/2017 5:52:12 PM

Frances
Frances
Ramsay MacInnes wrote:
Secret Word . . . how about using 4- or 6-letter words

Your idea of 4-letter words sounded interesting. For fun, here are two:

The number in parentheses is how many letters of the answers to the clues are in the Secret Word. Once determined, rearrange the 4 letters to form the Secret Word, a hint to which is spelled out by the first letters of the answers. No letter is repeated within any answer word.

1. Secret Word _ _ _ _

_ _ _ _ (2) Bullion metal
_ _ _ _ (3) Grad
_ _ _ _ (1) Regulation
_ _ _ _ (0) Bruce or Laura
_ _ _ _ (1) Good grief!
_ _ _ _ (2) Alaskan city

2. Secret Word _ _ _ _

_ _ _ _ (1) Function
_ _ _ _ (2) A Muppet
_ _ _ _ (0) Ado
_ _ _ _ (1) Lots
_ _ _ _ (3) You said it!
_ _ _ _ (2) Erase
_ _ _ _ (2) Coarse
_ _ _ _ (1) Among
_ _ _ _ (3) Verne captain
_ _ _ _ (1) Plant visit

Private message me for answer(s) if needed.
edited by Frances on 11/21/2017

11/28/2017 9:44:01 AM

Ramsay MacInnes
Ramsay MacInnes
WhoooA Frances, Thanx, Get the Ball Rollin' & Publish these!! I was hoping the forum wasn't turned off or overwhelmed by all my ideas at once, but since I've been doing these (PP/D) puzzles for Years, & since I have a side hobby of inventing solitaire card games (over 3000 at this point) I tend to think of new ideas and "tweaks" along the way. (For instance, the "Cross-Sums Variations" I mentioned, someplace else on the Dell side).
One more: Combine the old "Categories" game with "End of the Line" so that you have both the first and last letters of the suggested entries. I know that may be more difficult to conjure up, but as an example, if the categories are "Months of the Year", "Operas", "Prime-Time Game Shows", "Parts of a House", and "Professions", and the first letter is D and the last is R, you could have December, Der Rosenkavalier, Dirty Rotten Cheater (OK, that's reaching), "Door", and "Doctor". This would be similar to the idea of "Classified Adds", another fave of mine, but not too much so.

--

11/30/2017 11:21:14 AM

Ramsay MacInnes
Ramsay MacInnes
Hello again Frances, I believe I solved the 2 Secret Word variation puzzles you so graciously presented, but I wanted to be certain it would be OK to publish my answers first before I did, since you mentioned something about a "private message" which I know nothing about. R Mac

--

11/30/2017 1:35:41 PM

Frances
Frances
Hi Ramsay,

Once you are logged in to the forum, click on my avatar or name. This takes you to my profile page. Under the box of info is "Send a private message." Click on that, write your message in the blank space, and click on "Send message." When I log in I will see a little envelope in the upper corner beside my avatar. If I have a private message, instead of "0" there will be a bold number indicating the number of messages. I click on that and read them. On my page, I also have access to all private messages I have received or sent, until I delete them. I have sent you a private message.

Frances.
edited by Frances on 11/30/2017

12/5/2017 4:39:52 PM

Frances
Frances
The number in parenthesis is how many letters of each clue answer are in the Secret Word. Once determined, rearrange the 6 letters to form the Secret Word, a hint to which is spelled out by the first letters of the answers. No letter is repeated within any answer word.

Secret Word _ _ _ _ _ _

_ _ _ _ _ _ (2) Forward flood
_ _ _ _ _ _ (1) Give notice
_ _ _ _ _ _ (0) Vacation asea
_ _ _ _ _ _ (3) "Miracle on the ____"
_ _ _ _ _ _ (4) Quantity
_ _ _ _ _ _ (2) Like Grade A or PG
_ _ _ _ _ _ (4) Hang swaying
_ _ _ _ _ _ (1) Hog's "table"
_ _ _ _ _ _ (3) ____ Cucamonga
_ _ _ _ _ _ (2) Type of cream puff
_ _ _ _ _ _ (3) Conundrum

12/7/2017 12:37:35 PM

Ramsay MacInnes
Ramsay MacInnes
AGAIN, thanx VERY much, I'll work on it after I get out of the Doctor's office on Friday. Should have a solution to post (privately 2 Ur "envelope" again if you wish) on Monday. rmac1117

--

Home » Variety Central » Unsung Faves