Solver's Forum
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Logic Problem Exchange » Trail Mix August 2012

Logic Problem fans, discuss solutions and get solving help.
11/23/2017 9:41:19 AM

Lynda
Lynda
In the 2nd clue* of this extremely hard puzzle, does the word "immediately" mean it was visited on the same day or possibly the first trip the following day?

*2. Kensington and the town that is exactly 21 miles from Lakeview (which isn't Danville) were visited immediately before and immediately after Lakeview, in some order.

11/23/2017 11:00:40 AM

Semipro
Semipro
The way these puzzles are written, "immediately" probably means that no other trips intervened between Kensington and Lakeview or between Lakeview and the town 21 miles away. That is, "immediately" means "adjacent on the chart." It doesn't mean "very soon," as it would in everyday speech ("Mary went home and immediately took off her shoes"). However, I'm answering without the benefit of having seen the introduction to the puzzle.

11/23/2017 12:25:28 PM

Lynda
Lynda
But couldn't Kensington or ? (which is 21 miles away from Lakeview) be right next to Lakeview on the map but not visited until the first run the next day and still be considered "immediately"? This puzzle is about 9 pony express riders who over a 3 day period (3 riders every day) rode 300 miles total. Every time I come up with a solution the 5th rider comes up with the 21 mile run which can't possibly work (the number has to be 36 or more). But thanks so much for your help even though I'm still going to have trouble with this baby. However, unlike in the past I'm not even going to ask my husband for a hint because I'm determined to solve this one myself. Semipro wrote:
The way these puzzles are written, "immediately" probably means that no other trips intervened between Kensington and Lakeview or between Lakeview and the town 21 miles away. That is, "immediately" means "adjacent on the chart." It doesn't mean "very soon," as it would in everyday speech ("Mary went home and immediately took off her shoes"). However, I'm answering without the benefit of having seen the introduction to the puzzle.

edited by lynkosy on 11/23/2017

11/23/2017 1:57:16 PM

Semipro
Semipro
Lynda wrote:
But couldn't Kensington or ? (which is 21 miles away from Lakeview) be right next to Lakeview on the map but not visited until the first run the next day and still be considered "immediately"?

Yes. That's basically what I said. I'm saying nothing about a map. "Immediately" as used in the clue means adjacent in the solving chart--specifically, in the row or column that represents the sequence of visits to towns. It doesn't refer to physical distance. Most puzzles come with such a chart. If this one didn't, you can create a chart that contains the logical relations that the publisher's chart would have.

11/23/2017 4:52:23 PM

Lynda
Lynda
Okay. That's good. It didn't feature a map but I've created about 6 different maps so far and I'm really stuck on this puzzle. And it's all because of this one clue. But thanks for helping. Back to the drawing board I go. Happy Thanksgiving. Semipro wrote:
Lynda wrote:
But couldn't Kensington or ? (which is 21 miles away from Lakeview) be right next to Lakeview on the map but not visited until the first run the next day and still be considered "immediately"?

Yes. That's basically what I said. I'm saying nothing about a map. "Immediately" as used in the clue means adjacent in the solving chart--specifically, in the row or column that represents the sequence of visits to towns. It doesn't refer to physical distance. Most puzzles come with such a chart. If this one didn't, you can create a chart that contains the logical relations that the publisher's chart would have.

Home » Logic Problem Exchange » Trail Mix August 2012