Solver's Forum
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » General Discussion » Trail Mix-Original Logic Problems-August 2012

General Discussion.
11/30/2017 11:48:07 AM

Lynda
Lynda
That's right. They only say, "in some order" when there are two possibilities. Thanks for that - you sure know your stuff. This puzzle has already taken up too much of my time (and nerves) and even though I'm retired with a lot of time on my hands I feel the same way as you do. But it sure was nice working on it with you and Frances. If you want a small hint I'll ask my husband to look one up for us because I have the answers but I hate to cheat.

If I do solve it I'll only post - I GOT IT -without giving anything away. Looking forward to my dentist appointment today- that's how much pain this puzzle has caused me. Bye for now.

Semipro wrote:
Lynda, I think they said "either from first to last . . ." because they're naming three riders and they want you to know which one is in the middle. "In some order" works with two riders but not with three who are lined up.

As for the other details, I don't know. I'm not taking on this puzzle. It looks like something that could eat my time for days.

11/30/2017 1:29:55 PM

Frances
Frances
Well, Lynda, I worked quite a bit on the puzzle yesterday, and reached the same point you did. And with the same problems. I'm not going to be able to solve it. upset

11/30/2017 1:39:34 PM

Semipro
Semipro
Two ideas that may help you ladies get unstuck:

1. Has either of you tried putting MORE than 5 towns between Bethel and Newman?

2. I don't think Woodbury can be the first town. Clue 6: "Elias's trip is either the one that began in Woodbury or the one that ended in Woodbury." So a trip ended in W.

11/30/2017 1:45:06 PM

Frances
Frances
Semipro wrote:

2. I don't think Woodbury can be the first town. Clue 6: "Elias's trip is either the one that began in Woodbury or the one that ended in Woodbury." So a trip ended in W.

At least five towns, not exactly. The one that ended in W. That has got to be where I went wrong! Thanks, Semipro. Maybe I'll try again. smile

edited by Frances on 11/30/2017

12/1/2017 10:01:37 AM

Lynda
Lynda
Just when I was about to give up you guys gave me inspiration to try again. I guess I was so proud of our map that I didn't want to change it but I will.

12/1/2017 10:07:47 AM

Lynda
Lynda
Good points. I tried 6 towns but it didn't get rid of the problem I'm having getting two consecutive towns to equal 75. And I also tried Woodbury somewhere else but that didn't help either. But I might work on that point again because I think you may have something there.

Hope this means you haven't given up, also.

Semipro wrote:

12/1/2017 10:13:38 AM

Lynda
Lynda
Don't leave me now. Should I ask for a hint? Before I do tell me where you have everyone placed. Do you have Sherman, Claire and Oscar on the same day or did you break them up? I'm tempted to ask the admin if there was an error somewhere in the puzzle but I don't know how to get in touch with him/her.

Frances wrote:
Well, Lynda, I worked quite a bit on the puzzle yesterday, and reached the same point you did. And with the same problems. I'm not going to be able to solve it. upset

12/1/2017 11:30:52 AM

Semipro
Semipro
This puzzle is so complex that it might pay to create a table like the ones that come with most logic problems, where you fill in cells with X and 0. But the table might have to have more than two dimensions.

12/1/2017 11:50:54 AM

Lynda
Lynda
That's a wonderful idea. I've done that several times before and even though it got too jammed up I'm going to try it again but this time I'll make the table huge so I don't get confused. Can't tape graph paper together because the squares are too small so I'll have to make my own. Can't make it today but tomorrow for sure.

Semipro wrote:
This puzzle is so complex that it might pay to create a table like the ones that come with most logic problems, where you fill in cells with X and 0. But the table might have to have more than two dimensions.

12/1/2017 12:15:30 PM

Frances
Frances
I had Day 1: Elias, Nadia, Morris. Day 2: Oscar, Claire, Sherman OR Sherman, Claire, Oscar. Day 3: Joan, Vivian, Herbert OR Joan, Herbert, Vivian. These are probably not reliable, so I'll try one more time from scratch. I'd prefer to solve this without a hint. If I can.

12/2/2017 9:15:55 AM

Lynda
Lynda
Good for you. I'll hold off on the hint, too. I have the same line up as you. Tried putting Joan in #4 but no help. Semipro suggested we make a chart. It might help but like he said this one is so complex it might not get us any father than we already are. And it's not going to be easy to construct but I'll try. Later

Frances wrote:
I had Day 1: Elias, Nadia, Morris. Day 2: Oscar, Claire, Sherman OR Sherman, Claire, Oscar. Day 3: Joan, Vivian, Herbert OR Joan, Herbert, Vivian. These are probably not reliable, so I'll try one more time from scratch. I'd prefer to solve this without a hint. If I can.

edited by lynkosy on 12/2/2017

12/2/2017 11:28:00 AM

Semipro
Semipro
Lynda wrote:
Semipro suggested we make a chart. It might help but like he said . . .

This isn't by any means the first time that someone online thought I was male. upset

If I were to try this puzzle, I might write names on pieces of paper that could be moved around to test different ideas about what goes where.

12/3/2017 11:07:47 AM

Lynda
Lynda
I'm so sorry. But you know what? I had "she" there first and changed it to "he" because you said, "you ladies" but I didn't think a man would get so involved so forgive me.

Semipro wrote:
Lynda wrote:
Semipro suggested we make a chart. It might help but like he said . . .

This isn't by any means the first time that someone online thought I was male. upset

If I were to try this puzzle, I might write names on pieces of paper that could be moved around to test different ideas about what goes where.

12/3/2017 12:25:06 PM

Semipro
Semipro
Lynda, it's all right. I thought my butterfly looked like a feminine item of decor, but evidently it's too subtle. I don't use my first name online because it's so unusual that I'd have no anonymity, and it isn't clearly a girl's name anyway.

Many people will say "you guys" to an all-women group. That doesn't seem quite right to me. I settled on "ladies," which is old-fashioned, but what can you do?

Isn't etiquette wonderful?

12/3/2017 4:32:47 PM

Frances
Frances
Hi Lynda,

After trying some more this weekend, I find I can't solve the puzzle. But I would appreciate the answer. When you (or anyone else) have solved it, or have looked at the solution, please post it or private message me. I don't need the full explanation, just the locations of towns and riders, and miles covered.

Thanks!

Frances.

12/4/2017 9:24:14 AM

Lynda
Lynda
I hear ya. I shouldn't use my name or photo online either but since I'm on Facebook I figure what's the harm now already. Frances is giving up on the puzzle and I've been busy decorating and shopping so I haven't worked on it too much. I did try to make a chart but can't decide which categories to use so I went back to my map again. If you give up let me know and I'll ask my husband to look up the answers and give us something to go on. Until I hear from you I'll keep trying.

Semipro wrote:
Lynda, it's all right. I thought my butterfly looked like a feminine item of decor, but evidently it's too subtle. I don't use my first name online because it's so unusual that I'd have no anonymity, and it isn't clearly a girl's name anyway.

Many people will say "you guys" to an all-women group. That doesn't seem quite right to me. I settled on "ladies," which is old-fashioned, but what can you do?

Isn't etiquette wonderful?

12/4/2017 9:28:10 AM

Lynda
Lynda
Hi Frances, I don't blame you for giving up especially this time of year but I'll keep trying and when I can't take anymore I'll ask Jim for a hint and maybe we can all go from there. Happy Holidays.

Frances wrote:
Hi Lynda,

After trying some more this weekend, I find I can't solve the puzzle. But I would appreciate the answer. When you (or anyone else) have solved it, or have looked at the solution, please post it or private message me. I don't need the full explanation, just the locations of towns and riders, and miles covered.

Thanks!

Frances.

12/9/2017 1:43:13 PM

Lynda
Lynda
I GOT IT!!! But I had to read part of the long and winded explanation in the answer section first. All I'll tell you for now is that your map and the names on each day is correct. Where we went wrong was the way we arranged Elias, Nadia and Morris in Day 1. If you switch them around you'll probably be able to finish it. But if you'd rather not try anymore then I will send both of you the answers through a private message.

Lynda wrote:
Hi Frances, I don't blame you for giving up especially this time of year but I'll keep trying and when I can't take anymore I'll ask Jim for a hint and maybe we can all go from there. Happy Holidays.

Frances wrote:
Hi Lynda,

Thanks!

Frances.

12/9/2017 7:25:53 PM

Frances
Frances
Hi Lynda,

I tried this puzzle one LAST time, and think I've got it, too! I have private messaged you my answer. Please put me out of my misery and tell me it's right! smile

Frances.

12/10/2017 12:04:07 PM

Lynda
Lynda
PERFECT!!! Thanks for helping me with is one. It was fun but I'm glad it's over. I sent you a message, too. If you're reading this, Semipro - thanks also to you and I hope you both have a wonderful Holiday. Take care.

Frances wrote:
Hi Lynda,

I tried this puzzle one LAST time, and think I've got it, too! I have private messaged you my answer. Please put me out of my misery and tell me it's right! smile

Frances.

Home » General Discussion » Trail Mix-Original Logic Problems-August 2012