Solver's Forum
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Collector's Series Corner » More Trigons Please

Discuss your favorite Collector’s Series puzzle books and get solving help.
4/9/2012 11:27:43 PM

Purple Pisces wrote:
I'll try and help you CC! smile The puzzles aren't as intimidating as they look. The puzzle is made up of a bunch of small triangles with a number inside each one. That number represents the sum of the three numbers that go around that triangle. The easiest ones to fill in are the "0" (which would be 000) and the 18 (which would be 666). One thing is to make sure you cross of the numbers in the grid as you use them.

Next you want to look for the largest and smallest numbers and see if you can fill in any numbers that way. A good way to do this is look for large and small numbers that share a side, you may be able to eliminate certain possibilities leaving only one option.

Also looking at the 111, 222, etc.. numbers can help. Like I explained in another thread with 444 for example, look at the "12" triangles in the grid. You may have some that are only partially filled in, and if one of the numbers isn't a 4, you can look elsewhere to place the 444 combo.

Sometimes the puzzle takes some patience because you have to scan and see where an opening is. Hope I helped you more than confused you! smile

Kewl helpage there, Purple one. I'll certainly take some of that under advisement. I just recently broke out another Math and Logic book, and it, of course, has one of these along with one of my faves, the Sudoku Challenger. Right now, I'm just haphazardly tossing my efforts into the Cross Sums, which I've grown to love, and the figure logic, which are interesting to me as long as I give myself the starter help. As well as the regular logic, which is what I got them for in the first place, heheh.

By the way, spell check is underlining Kewl, helpage, and heheh. I know they aren't real words, Mr/Ms/Mrs. spell check. They are TDHO colloquialisms.

Be kind, don't red underline... Heh. Agghhh, there's another... now two more...

4/10/2012 4:33:44 AM

creamchz3@aol.com
creamchz3@aol.com
You made it sound easier than the directions I read in the puzzle book. I'd like to try one of these and was hoping Dell had a whole book of them so I could print a sample puzzle. I do like a few Dell Variety Puzzles but not enough to buy a book of them. If I like the Trigons a lot I will buy it. Do you know any way for me to get my hands on a sample puzzle? It would be great if you knew which one I had so you could help me along. Thanks for all the info, I'd love to try one of these! CC

4/10/2012 1:00:28 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
Here you go CC:

https://www.pennydellpuzzles.com/Upload/PuzzleFiles/Sample/DellCollectors/trg_d0508_samplepuz.pdf

I'll print it out too and leave it right here by the computer so I'll be able to help if you need it.

I have to admit I'm feeling a little guilty. Frances had seen a post of mine talking about these puzzles and offered me a volume of the Dell Collector's Series of them, which unfortunately they no longer have available. I keeping hoping that someone from Penny/Dell will see this thread and bring back the Trigon books. Maybe even offer them in a printable puzzle packet.

I'm glad I could help you and TDHO a little. smile

*I don't know why my link isn't working. Bernadette showed me the other day how to do it and I had no problem, but for some reason it's not working today. You should be able to copy and paste the link.
<em>edited by Purple Pisces on 4/10/2012</em>

4/10/2012 9:25:17 PM

creamchz3@aol.com
creamchz3@aol.com
Well, I went back to the store and bought the mag. It's Dell All-Time Favorite Variety June 2012. I will attempt to do this Trigon's puzzle tomorrow, I have not been to sleep in two nights so now is not the time. I also noticed there are a lot of Figgerits puzzles in this mag, I haven't done one in years. It was the first Variety Puzzle I ever did, I was a teen then and I still like them! Anyway, wish me luck! (I'll come to you if I get stuck,PP) CC

4/10/2012 10:37:57 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
Good luck CC and hope you're able to get some sleep!! smile

4/27/2012 12:47:45 PM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
A few posts up from the bottom, Dark Horse wrote what I just cut and pasted, because I didn't know how to quote something that wasn't on the immediate bottom.

"Kewl helpage there, Purple one. I'll certainly take some of that under advisement. I just recently broke out another Math and Logic book, and it, of course, has one of these along with one of my faves, the Sudoku Challenger. Right now, I'm just haphazardly tossing my efforts into the Cross Sums, which I've grown to love, and the figure logic, which are interesting to me as long as I give myself the starter help. As well as the regular logic, which is what I got them for in the first place, heheh.

By the way, spell check is underlining Kewl, helpage, and heheh. I know they aren't real words, Mr/Ms/Mrs. spell check. They are TDHO colloquialisms.

Be kind, don't red underline... Heh. Agghhh, there's another... now two more..."

Now, my answer to Dark Horse, is, can't you add your colloquialisms to the "dictionary?" Or isn't there a personalized dictionary on this website? I just found, for example, one of the things the spell-check objected to -- your initials, "TDHO," and I used my right-click of the mouse, and found something near the top of the menu called "add to dictionary." And now I just did the same thing with "heheh." I bet you can do this, TDHO (and I'm not sure whether the spell-checker will then quiet down for you alone, or for all of us).

Boy, do I love to experiment with this type of thing!

--
Amy

4/27/2012 12:53:12 PM

Chris the Indiana Puzzler
TheDarkHorseOne wrote:
I. too, got a little addicted to these. Upon looking, I still have several left to savor from my Logic Problem value pack, too. I left this thread about them elsewhere on the forums....

http://www.pennydellpuzzles.com/forum/messages.aspx?TopicID=508

Neat puzzles, and thanks for putting up that link to the example, Purple One. I'll have to go take a gander. No, not steal a male goose... What do you take me for? Heheheh. A LOOK-SEE. Yeah, that's it, heheh.

I found one in a Math and Logic Lovers Book I have (Sep 2011). It reminds me of "Triominos" a game I have (basically three sides dominoes). I haven't been able t get to it, but I will give it a shot.

--
Peace Out.

4/27/2012 1:26:57 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
I'm happy to see there's an interest in these puzzles! smile Maybe Penny/Dell will consider adding more of these puzzles to their publications.

After learning from a fellow poster that there was a Sudoku magazine that contained a few Trigon puzzles , they changed the format omitting the Trigons. Guess I was a little late to the game on that one! LOL!

4/27/2012 1:55:13 PM

Frances
Frances
IN_Puzzler wrote:
It reminds me of "Triominos" a game I have (basically three sides dominoes).

Triominos! (Triominoes?) That brings back memories---my mom and I used to play. A relative lent us their game, we liked it, but couldn't find it to buy. So I took scrap redwood from the woodpile, handsawed little triangles, sanded the pieces, and used some woodburning tool with a triangle tip my brother had and made the pips. Then finished with some leftover varnish from the toolshed. I just went looking and found them in a little wrinkled bag stuffed in the back of a cupboard. They're not fancy with slightly un-straight edges, and some worn off varnish, but we had fun with 'em!
edited by Frances on 4/27/2012

4/28/2012 2:00:45 PM

Frances wrote:
IN_Puzzler wrote:
It reminds me of "Triominos" a game I have (basically three sides dominoes).

Triominos! (Triominoes?) That brings back memories---my mom and I used to play. A relative lent us their game, we liked it, but couldn't find it to buy. So I took scrap redwood from the woodpile, handsawed little triangles, sanded the pieces, and used some woodburning tool with a triangle tip my brother had and made the pips. Then finished with some leftover varnish from the toolshed. I just went looking and found them in a little wrinkled bag stuffed in the back of a cupboard. They're not fancy with slightly un-straight edges, and some worn off varnish, but we had fun with 'em!
edited by Frances on 4/27/2012[/qu

What a great memory! I started working on the sample that is available on this website. It seemed simple at first, but got sneaky really quick. I can see why everyone is hoping for more of these puzzles.

The other game my grandmother always had out when we visited was Rummy tiles. I used to love a big game of these. I wonder if there is an idea for puzzle based on that game.

--
Peace Out.

8/30/2012 1:30:21 AM

Amy Lowenstein wrote:
A few posts up from the bottom, Dark Horse wrote what I just cut and pasted, because I didn't know how to quote something that wasn't on the immediate bottom.

"Kewl helpage there, Purple one. I'll certainly take some of that under advisement. I just recently broke out another Math and Logic book, and it, of course, has one of these along with one of my faves, the Sudoku Challenger. Right now, I'm just haphazardly tossing my efforts into the Cross Sums, which I've grown to love, and the figure logic, which are interesting to me as long as I give myself the starter help. As well as the regular logic, which is what I got them for in the first place, heheh.

Be kind, don't red underline... Heh. Agghhh, there's another... now two more..."

Now, my answer to Dark Horse, is, can't you add your colloquialisms to the "dictionary?" Or isn't there a personalized dictionary on this website? I just found, for example, one of the things the spell-check objected to -- your initials, "TDHO," and I used my right-click of the mouse, and found something near the top of the menu called "add to dictionary." And now I just did the same thing with "heheh." I bet you can do this, TDHO (and I'm not sure whether the spell-checker will then quiet down for you alone, or for all of us).

Boy, do I love to experiment with this type of thing!

You have a very literal mind, Amy Lowenstein. Heheh. Comic relief was all that was, doll. Cool info to pass on, though! I prefer to make hay about the squiggly red lines, though.

8/30/2012 9:40:39 AM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
TheDarkHorseOne wrote:

You have a very literal mind, Amy Lowenstein. Heheh. Comic relief was all that was, doll. Cool info to pass on, though! I prefer to make hay about the squiggly red lines, though.

You want to know about "literal," Dark Horse? Around 35 years ago, when I was first invited to drive up -- from Philadelphia to suburban Western New Jersey -- to the home of the guy that I eventually married, he told me to take Route 95 north, and turn off at the 4th exit in New Jersey and take Route 31 North. The exits went 1, 2, 3A, 3B, so I took exit 3B, which was indeed going north, but it was listed as Scotch Road North. When Scotch Road didn't seem to get me to where I was supposed to be, I drove randomly to try to find a phone booth so I could ask where I was really supposed to go, when, lo and behold, I saw a big traffic circle (where there were plenty of public buildings with phones, if necessary) which was a junction with, of all roads, Route 31, so I found the right road despite my husband's inaccurate directions.

For years, my husband and I have argued about what the meaning is of "4th exit in NJ." He had meant "exit 4." In fact, in those days, it would have been 4A and 4B (they've changed the construction since then). If he had only said "Take exit 4 in the north direction" there'd have been no problem.

Whenever I tell my accounting colleagues this story, most of them agree with me that the 4th exit in those days would have been exit 3B, and they'd all have taken 3B, the same as I did.

--
Amy

8/30/2012 3:36:00 PM

Bernadette1959
Bernadette1959
Amy, I'm with you as well. I would have done the exact same thing - counted the exits and got off on the 4th one. But how lucky that you made it to the correct road anyway, despite your husband giving you the wrong information. LOL wink

8/30/2012 3:38:13 PM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
Luckily, Bernadette, I had a phone number to call, so if my wandering the roads had taken me elsewhere than Rt. 31, I'd have found a phone and called him and asked for directions from whereever I happened to be at the time. Glad to know there's another literalist in my camp!

--
Amy

1/4/2013 10:52:25 PM

pbender
pbender
creamchz3@aol.com wrote:
I picked up a Dell Variety Puzzle book at the store and thumbed through it. I saw a Trigon. This has got to be one of the most intimidating puzzles I've ever come across. I don't think I could ever figure out how to do one if I tried. It just looks terribly difficult. Anyone want to try to teach me how? I'm not slow I'm just not used to math puzzles, just word puzzles. CC

Go to ****=http://www.trianglons.com/sample/trisample.html]ww.trianglons.com/sample/trisample.html and in the program select Game from the menu bar and then Step-By-Step and it will walk you through solving a Trigon. Selecting Info and then Playing Hints gives some general things to look for when solving Trigons.

[I know it's an older thread, but I did a Yahoo search on Trigons (my favorite puzzle) and this thread is one of the links that came up.
When I get a new Math and Logic Puzzles magazine, the Trigon puzzle (or the 2 Trigons) is the first puzzle I solve. When I'm midway through the magazine, I go back and erase the Trigon and re-solve it. When I finish with the magazine, I go back and erase the Trigon and solve it a third time.]

1/5/2013 9:07:38 AM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
Cool. What a great way to enjoy your Trigons.

--
Amy

1/5/2013 7:35:42 PM

creamchz3@aol.com
creamchz3@aol.com
pbender wrote:
creamchz3@aol.com wrote:
I picked up a Dell Variety Puzzle book at the store and thumbed through it. I saw a Trigon. This has got to be one of the most intimidating puzzles I've ever come across. I don't think I could ever figure out how to do one if I tried. It just looks terribly difficult. Anyone want to try to teach me how? I'm not slow I'm just not used to math puzzles, just word puzzles. CC

Go to ****=http://www.trianglons.com/sample/trisample.html]ww.trianglons.com/sample/trisample.html and in the program select Game from the menu bar and then Step-By-Step and it will walk you through solving a Trigon. Selecting Info and then Playing Hints gives some general things to look for when solving Trigons.

[I know it's an older thread, but I did a Yahoo search on Trigons (my favorite puzzle) and this thread is one of the links that came up.
When I get a new Math and Logic Puzzles magazine, the Trigon puzzle (or the 2 Trigons) is the first puzzle I solve. When I'm midway through the magazine, I go back and erase the Trigon and re-solve it. When I finish with the magazine, I go back and erase the Trigon and solve it a third time.]

Thanks! I'll do just that. CC

Home » Collector's Series Corner » More Trigons Please