Solver's Forum
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Variety Central » Binding Changes?

See what other Variety puzzle fans have to say/share your solutions.
4/13/2018 11:40:51 PM

Bernadette1959
Bernadette1959
I purchased the June 2018 issues of Approved Variety Puzzles and Merit Variety Puzzles today and I believe the printers have made a change to the binding of these magazines. The spines of both are very flimsy. I usually solve while holding one hand underneath the open magazine and this flimsier spine makes that difficult. It feels like the magazine is going to split in half.

Not a major deal, I know, but it's kind of aggravating all the same.

I really don't care for this change and hope it's just a fluke.

Bernadette

4/14/2018 11:13:54 AM

Frances
Frances
Bernadette1959 wrote:
I purchased the June 2018 issues of Approved Variety Puzzles and Merit Variety Puzzles today and I believe the printers have made a change to the binding of these magazines. The spines of both are very flimsy. I usually solve while holding one hand underneath the open magazine and this flimsier spine makes that difficult. It feels like the magazine is going to split in half.

Not a major deal, I know, but it's kind of aggravating all the same.

I really don't care for this change and hope it's just a fluke.

Bernadette

My April, 2018 issue of Variety Puzzles and Games has a bendable spine. It can be folded back on itself, like a stapled magazine.

4/14/2018 12:02:56 PM

Bernadette1959
Bernadette1959
Hi Frances!

Uh oh. It sounds like the bendable spine may be a permanent change.

I recall you mentioning once on an older thread that you usually take your magazines apart when you solve, page by page. Do you still solve this way? This is what I'm probably going to have to start doing.

I wish that PennyDell would consider decreasing the number of titles they publish, instead of continuing to lower the physical quality of all the ones being issued. :/

Bernadette

4/15/2018 4:48:40 PM

Frances
Frances
Bernadette1959 wrote:
Hi Frances!

Uh oh. It sounds like the bendable spine may be a permanent change.

I recall you mentioning once on an older thread that you usually take your magazines apart when you solve, page by page. Do you still solve this way? This is what I'm probably going to have to start doing.

I wish that PennyDell would consider decreasing the number of titles they publish, instead of continuing to lower the physical quality of all the ones being issued. :/

Bernadette

Hi Bernadette,

Yes, I usually still do one page at a time on my writing board---actually a beveled 9"x12" piece of Lucite. I have a larger piece (11"x18") on my worktable that i borrow if I need a little more room. You know, many moons ago I used a actual thin BOARD (about the size of the larger Lucite), but with use, the woodgrain became pronounced and I couldn't draw a straight line anymore!

But occasionally I do puzzles in the book, as I've been using pencils that show up well without pressing too hard. They're PaperMate Mirado Black Warrior, #2.

Frances.

4/16/2018 6:10:29 AM

Bernadette1959
Bernadette1959
Thanks, Frances!

I was using pencils for a while and then went back to pens after PD began using the soy inks which tend to come off the page so easily. I may look for those Black Warriors and give the single-page solving another try. I’ve had a lot going on here lately so for the past several months I’ve been solving mostly word searches. Things have calmed down a bit now and I think my brain is ready to handle more difficult puzzles. Maybe not, though! LOL 🙂

Bernadette

4/17/2018 10:15:58 AM

admin
admin
Administrator
There's been no binding changes, but occasionally one or two magazines slip in the bindery process and don’t get as tightly bound as our specs call for. Thanks for your comments. We’ve let the folks who take care of production know.
Best,
Admin

4/18/2018 7:43:09 AM

Bernadette1959
Bernadette1959
Thank you for your response. I'm glad to know the change in the spine is not intentional! smile

Bernadette

4/19/2018 1:59:12 PM

classygal53
classygal53
admin wrote:
There's been no binding changes, but occasionally one or two magazines slip in the bindery process and don’t get as tightly bound as our specs call for. Thanks for your comments. We’ve let the folks who take care of production know.
Best,
Admin

4/19/2018 2:00:32 PM

classygal53
classygal53
I am very unhappy with this website as I ordered puzzle books on March 31st and still not have received them so I called an they said they were mailed the 4th this is way to long to get an order, this website is not a very good one when one wants to order some books you can get them same books off Amazon and get them within a few days

Home » Variety Central » Binding Changes?