Solver's Forum
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Let Us Know About Possible Mistakes (PP) » OLP -- June 2013 -- Life of Brianni

Let Us Know About Possible Mistakes.
5/13/2018 10:50:32 AM

Michael1973
Michael1973
I'm not sure if this is a mistake or I'm just terribly confused, but I'm 90 minutes into this puzzle and at a point when I'm unable to continue.

At this point in the puzzle, I've determined (with help from the answer guide) that the narrator interviewed three people in Rome, and all were men. According to the answer guide, this should allow me to pinpoint which hotel was in Rome. Based on various clues, we can narrow it down to the Fortuna or the Grande.

The answer guide cites clue #9 as evidence that it's not the Grande. Clue #9 talks about three men, one of whom stayed at the Grande. (Not helpful that I can see) and also directly states that the Grande was not the hotel in Milan.

How does any of that tell me that the Grande was not in Rome? All I can think is that the reference to Milan was a typo.

5/17/2018 10:19:40 AM

LogicEditor
LogicEditor
Thanks for your post. We took another look at the puzzle. As you point out, we've already determined that the three people interviewed in Rome were all men. According to clue 9, "Two of three men whom I interviewed consecutively (who don't all live in the same city, but at least one of whom lives in the same city in which I stayed at the hotel Grande)...." Since the three men in Rome were interviewed consecutively, the interviewees immediately before and after the Rome trip were both women, as no more than three men were interviewed consecutively (clue 9). Thus, the Rome hotel can't be the Grande, as that would mean more than three men were interviewed consecutively (clue 9).
Hope this helps! Enjoy solving the rest of the puzzle.

5/20/2018 8:45:15 PM

Michael1973
Michael1973
Thank you! This clarified it very well. That was a tough puzzle, but mostly enjoyable.

Home » Let Us Know About Possible Mistakes (PP) » OLP -- June 2013 -- Life of Brianni