Solver's Forum
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Fill-In Area » Who else is enamored with Perfect Fit?

Share your strategies and get solving help.
5/27/2009 5:51:11 PM

Zotmeister
Zotmeister
That's such a delightful puzzle design. It truly feels unique and distinct from both the Fill-In/Framework and Places, Please/Letterboxes schools. It's so simple, but it possesses a nice depth without getting tedious. I'd really like to see more of these, and not just small ones either. I'd really like to see these in a full-page version, like Stretch Letters already has, in a variety mag; I think it could become very popular. I know PennyPress is considering a Selected Puzzles series for Stretch Letters, which is fine, but if given a proper chance I think Perfect Fit can be an even bigger success.

There is one serious problem with the presentation, though: the word list should be sorted by word length, just like Fill-Ins/Frameworks, for the exact same reason those puzzles have word lists sorted by length. If the puzzles were made larger, this would practically be a necessity. I hope PennyPress fixes this. Otherwise, I love Perfect Fit. - ZM

--
Darkness lessons learned/Avenging golden tresses/Yellow flower blooms
- "(dedicated to Millia Rage)", original haiku

5/28/2009 12:56:54 AM

Frances
Frances
Hi, Zotmeister!
I think Perfect Fit is a fun puzzle, too. Besides enjoying solving puzzles, I construct them also. (Just finished making my 83rd Perfect Fit last month.) The reason the word list isn't sorted by length is probably because of so few words. When I test-solve one of my own constructs I sort the words according to word length just to make it easier and quicker. You can also pencil beside each word the number of letters in it to help.

Part of the fun making Perfect Fit is I can pick any words I want! And part of the fun solving is you don't know which way a word will be going---twice as many possibilities.

While a large size Perfect Fit seems intriguing (I'd enjoy making one), it may be because of this 'two possibilities for each word' that would make a full size puzzle too hard. I don't know---the editors decide these things.

By the way, I agree with you about puzzles vs. games. I don't much care for quizzes either.

I find I'm drawn like a magnet to Around the Block---when I come across one, I stop immediately and solve it. A fairly easy puzzle that takes just a minute to do---but I've got to do it!

6/4/2009 12:21:38 AM

Zotmeister
Zotmeister
Frances wrote:
Besides enjoying solving puzzles, I construct them also. (Just finished making my 83rd Perfect Fit last month.)

Wow, that's a lot of puzzles of just one design! Sometimes I wonder if I should try making my own "word insertion" design, but chances are that anything I come up with would have already been done by Craig Kasper. smile Where do your puzzles end up? Do you actually make them for PennyPress? Are they published at all?

And then wrote:
The reason the word list isn't sorted by length is probably because of so few words. When I test-solve one of my own constructs I sort the words according to word length just to make it easier and quicker. You can also pencil beside each word the number of letters in it to help.

Actually, I do that on Places, Please every now and then, what with the edge of the grid being an ever-present word-length limit and all.

And then wrote:
And part of the fun solving is you don't know which way a word will be going---twice as many possibilities.

Exactly! There's a lot to look at. There's a much greater potential in there for clever construction.

And then wrote:
While a large size Perfect Fit seems intriguing (I'd enjoy making one), it may be because of this 'two possibilities for each word' that would make a full size puzzle too hard. I don't know---the editors decide these things.

Perhaps I'll make one myself and see what I (and my blog readers) think of the difficulty. Of course, I'll probably have to resort to using digits...

And then wrote:
By the way, I agree with you about puzzles vs. games. I don't much care for quizzes either.

I'm glad I'm not alone there, let me tell you. Puzzle magazines should have, well, puzzles!

And lastly wrote:
I find I'm drawn like a magnet to Around the Block---when I come across one, I stop immediately and solve it. A fairly easy puzzle that takes just a minute to do---but I've got to do it!

Two simple rules guide the entire puzzle - it's just a matter of finding where to apply them. A couple of my puzzle-fan coworkers - one of whom is practicing for the USPC - recently discovered that puzzle type, and I've been trying to train them to be able to solve them as fast as they can move the pencil across the paper. - ZM

--
Darkness lessons learned/Avenging golden tresses/Yellow flower blooms
- "(dedicated to Millia Rage)", original haiku

6/4/2009 3:10:57 PM

Frances
Frances
Hi Zotmeister,

Yes, the puzzles I construct end up in the pages of Penny Press magazines. I've been making and selling puzzles since 1979---about 6,000 so far. Several different puzzle-publishing companies have bought mine during that time, but the last few years almost exclusively Penny Press. Their variety is the best.

And variety puzzles are what I enjoy making most---about 150 different types (mostly easy). The hardest ones I do are probably Expert Framework (100+ done) and Secret Word (250+ done). Oh, and Bricks and Mortar (40+) is tricky with those 8-letter words. Go ahead---take an empty diagram of one and try to fill it in with your own words (clockwise only) and you'll see.

I stay away from Crosswords, Logics, Acrostics and others with quotations, and some topical ones.

But I really like puzzle constructing, as long as there's not too much hair-pulling and cussing at my worktable. Still having lots of fun, and haven't tired of it yet!

Frances

8/8/2009 8:21:02 AM

Bernadette1959
Bernadette1959
I solved a Perfect Fit puzzle for the first time last night. Actually, I solved two of them, one was a smaller puzzle included in a Fill-In publication and the other was a larger one in a full-sized magazine.

I thoroughly enjoyed this puzzle! It's a lot trickier than it looks, though. Especially when you have about five 8-letter words and you've got to figure out whether to place them backwards or forwards or up and down!

Thanks so much for the recommendation! smile

Bernadette
<em>edited by Bernadette1959 on 8/8/2009</em>

2/13/2011 9:16:39 PM

Semipro
Semipro
Admin: the preceding post is spam.

2/14/2011 8:54:23 AM

admin
admin
Administrator
Semipro wrote:
Admin: the preceding post is spam.

Thank you! - Admin

Home » Fill-In Area » Who else is enamored with Perfect Fit?