Solver's Forum
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Word Seek Corner » Spotlight Remember When Word Seeks

Solvers helping solvers.
11/21/2009 8:41:44 AM

Bernadette1959
Bernadette1959
Okay, so here I am again but I just wanted to comment on how much I am enjoying the current issue issue of this magazine, dated Dec. 15, 2009 with the theme of the 1930s and 1940s. I just LOVE this era, even though it is a little bit before my time (LOL), and these puzzles have been so enjoyable to solve!

Thank you very much!

Bernadette

3/27/2014 3:36:32 PM

Bernadette1959
Bernadette1959
I haven't seen this announced yet on the forum so I wanted to mention that "Spotlight Remember When Word Seeks" has been expanded from six issues a year to EIGHT!

I noticed in my latest issue that it said published eight times a year and I was sure it had always been a bi-monthly, so I asked PennyDell about it on their Facebook page and they confirmed that yes, there would be two more issues per year.

This magazine is one of my all-time favorites, so I was so pleased to see the number of issues increased instead of decreased, as decreasing seems to be the trend with most everything nowadays. smile

Bernadette
edited by Bernadette1959 on 3/27/2014

4/23/2014 5:52:58 PM

Indiana Puzzle Solver
Indiana Puzzle Solver
These are my favorite too Bernadette. I working on one with Gene Wilder and Marty Feldman as Dr. Fronk-en-steen and Eye-gore from Young Frankenstein on the cover.

4/24/2014 9:34:01 AM

Bernadette1959
Bernadette1959
LOL! That sounds like a lot of fun, Chris!

I just finished an older Spotlight Remember When issue (I believe it was Dec. 2013) with puzzles based on the 1930s and 1040s. The issue included a letterbox puzzle based on "Gone With the Wind" and I had a great time solving it! smile

4/24/2014 5:37:49 PM

Frances
Frances
Puzzle #14 on page 16 of Spotlight Remember When Word Seek, issue #49, May 1, 2014 is entitled "Dinerese". Unfortunately, no translation of the diner slang was in the answer pages! So, I looked them up. Here's some of them:

AXLE GREASE=butter, BOWL OF RED=chili con carne, BUCKET OF HAIL=glass of ice, CAT'S EYES=tapioca pudding, CHOPPER=knife, COLD SPOT=iced tea, COWBOY=western omelet, COW FEED=salad, ECHO=repeat the order, FIRST LADY=spare ribs, GRAVEL TRAIN=sugar bowl, HOT CHA=hot chocolate, HOT SPOT=tea or coffee, LUMBER=toothpick, MAMA=marmalade, MUD=black coffee, NO COW=without milk, SAND=sugar, SEA DUST=salt, SINKERS AND SUDS=donuts & coffee, SQUEEZE ONE=glass of orange juice, WREATH=cabbage, ZEPPELINS IN A FOG=sausages & mashed potatoes.

There are several web sites on diner slang. The dinerlingo one is pretty good with hundreds of words and phrases. Fun reading!
edited by Frances on 4/24/2014

4/25/2014 8:34:09 AM

Bernadette1959
Bernadette1959
Hi Frances!

Thank you for posting the diner slang! I especially love "Sinkers & Suds! LOL I haven't gotten to that puzzle book yet but when I do, I'll look for the Dinerese puzzle first! Many times, the definitions will be out beside the word in parenthesis. I guess there must not have been enough room.

I am a huge fan of "I Love Lucy" and there was one funny episode where the four went in and purchased a diner together. Lucy and Ricky were supposed to be the "name" and Fred and Ethel the "know how." Of course, it didn't end well, but at one point Lucy says to Ricky, "The next time you want hamburgers without onions, ASK for hamburgers without onions. Don't stand there and yell, "Bring the bull in the ring, and laugh in his face!"

LOL!! This is one reason why I love Spotlight Remember When Word Seeks. smile

Bernadette

9/2/2014 7:25:36 PM

Bernadette1959
Bernadette1959
Frances wrote:
Puzzle #14 on page 16 of Spotlight Remember When Word Seek, issue #49, May 1, 2014 is entitled "Dinerese".

Frances, I wanted to come back to let you know that there is another puzzle titled "Dinerese" in the Spotlight Remember When Word Seek book dated June 15, 2014. I just started solving in it and this puzzle is #3. Unlike the puzzle in the other issue, this one does include the definitions. Dinerese must indeed be a popular topic! LOL

(This particular issue has a photo of Shirley Temple on the cover. smile)

9/3/2014 12:29:40 AM

Frances
Frances
Thanks, Bernadette, I'll check at the store when I'm there on Thursday and see if they have it yet. Whether it was a coincidence or the same person made both puzzles, it's a neat topic to have again!

9/4/2014 7:51:44 AM

Bernadette1959
Bernadette1959
Frances, it actually came out a bit earlier this year so you might not be able to still find a copy. I have a subscription to this title and I'm always running behind on solving my issues! smile

9/4/2014 1:01:28 PM

Frances
Frances
It dawned on me last night ("Wait a minute, did she say June?") Ha. One of the magazines I'm working out of now is the October issue of Merit Variety, from last year. That's nice about puzzle magazines----they don't have an expiration date for solving, and they never "go bad"!

9/4/2014 3:10:00 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
Frances wrote:
That's nice about puzzle magazines----they don't have an expiration date for solving, and they never "go bad"!

That's what I say whenever I get another puzzle book!! It makes me feel a little less guilty for buying something I really don't need. smile

9/4/2014 4:49:02 PM

Bernadette1959
Bernadette1959
Frances wrote:
That's nice about puzzle magazines----they don't have an expiration date for solving, and they never "go bad"!

I laughed when I read your comment, Frances. smile

My 81-year old Mom has always enjoyed solving easy crossword puzzles and years ago I gave her a subscription but didn't renew it after a couple of years because she told me to wait and let her get caught up on her issues. Many's the time I would call my mother in the evenings and she would tell me she'd just got settled down on the couch in front of the TV with her book of crossword puzzles. However, in recent years she hasn't been solving as much. She's always been very active with her senior center and church activities but in the past couple of months she's found herself with extra time on her hands and had started to worry a lot about her health and finances, the future, etc. I suggested she get her puzzle books back out and she called me the other evening to tell me the ones she had were from 2005 and were a bit musty-smelling. LOL So when she came over to eat lunch with us on Labor Day, we went to the bookstore and got her a fresh supply of new crossword books. I spoke with her today and she told me she'd already solved half of one book and she sounds more relaxed already! smile

9/4/2014 9:51:25 PM

Frances
Frances
Musty-smelling----looking at it that way, puzzle books can "go bad"! smile It can get pretty humid here and if I plan on storing magazines for any length of time, I use large ziplocks or plastic boxes with tight lids (or both) since quite a while ago, I had some issues "go bad" with mildew.

9/5/2014 9:12:56 AM

Bernadette1959
Bernadette1959
Yes, my mother had put her books in a box in a storage room located around the back of her townhouse, and the room is not air-conditioned. With all of the heat and humidity we have here in the Deep South, it's a wonder they didn't disintegrate entirely! LOL smile

Home » Word Seek Corner » Spotlight Remember When Word Seeks