Solver's Forum
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Word Seek Corner » Spotlight Remember When Word Seeks

Solvers helping solvers.
4/23/2014 5:52:58 PM

Indiana Puzzle Solver
Indiana Puzzle Solver
These are my favorite too Bernadette. I working on one with Gene Wilder and Marty Feldman as Dr. Fronk-en-steen and Eye-gore from Young Frankenstein on the cover.

4/24/2014 5:37:49 PM

Frances
Frances
Puzzle #14 on page 16 of Spotlight Remember When Word Seek, issue #49, May 1, 2014 is entitled "Dinerese". Unfortunately, no translation of the diner slang was in the answer pages! So, I looked them up. Here's some of them:

AXLE GREASE=butter, BOWL OF RED=chili con carne, BUCKET OF HAIL=glass of ice, CAT'S EYES=tapioca pudding, CHOPPER=knife, COLD SPOT=iced tea, COWBOY=western omelet, COW FEED=salad, ECHO=repeat the order, FIRST LADY=spare ribs, GRAVEL TRAIN=sugar bowl, HOT CHA=hot chocolate, HOT SPOT=tea or coffee, LUMBER=toothpick, MAMA=marmalade, MUD=black coffee, NO COW=without milk, SAND=sugar, SEA DUST=salt, SINKERS AND SUDS=donuts & coffee, SQUEEZE ONE=glass of orange juice, WREATH=cabbage, ZEPPELINS IN A FOG=sausages & mashed potatoes.

There are several web sites on diner slang. The dinerlingo one is pretty good with hundreds of words and phrases. Fun reading!
edited by Frances on 4/24/2014

9/3/2014 12:29:40 AM

Frances
Frances
Thanks, Bernadette, I'll check at the store when I'm there on Thursday and see if they have it yet. Whether it was a coincidence or the same person made both puzzles, it's a neat topic to have again!

9/4/2014 1:01:28 PM

Frances
Frances
It dawned on me last night ("Wait a minute, did she say June?") Ha. One of the magazines I'm working out of now is the October issue of Merit Variety, from last year. That's nice about puzzle magazines----they don't have an expiration date for solving, and they never "go bad"!

9/4/2014 3:10:00 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
Frances wrote:
That's nice about puzzle magazines----they don't have an expiration date for solving, and they never "go bad"!

That's what I say whenever I get another puzzle book!! It makes me feel a little less guilty for buying something I really don't need. smile

9/4/2014 9:51:25 PM

Frances
Frances
Musty-smelling----looking at it that way, puzzle books can "go bad"! smile It can get pretty humid here and if I plan on storing magazines for any length of time, I use large ziplocks or plastic boxes with tight lids (or both) since quite a while ago, I had some issues "go bad" with mildew.

Home » Word Seek Corner » Spotlight Remember When Word Seeks