Solver's Forum
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » General Discussion » Forum Rules

General Discussion.
2/19/2010 9:08:53 AM

1)While debating and discussion is fine, we will not tolerate rudeness, insulting posts, personal attacks or purposeless inflammatory posts. Our decision is final in these matters.

2)Advertising, spamming and trolling is not allowed. This includes using the forum email and Private message system to spam other members.
(This rule does not apply to announcements of science fiction events or recent fiction sales by regular forum users.)

3)We reserve the right to remove offensive posts without notice.

4)Also while these rules cover most common situations, they cannot anticipate everything. Consequently we reserve the right to take any actions we deem appropriate to ensure these forums are not disrupted or abused in any way.

5)We also reserve the right to ban anyone's account who willfully violates the forum rules, as access to our forum is a privilege and not a right.

Anyone wishing to report those in violation of the forum rules should contact the ADMIN account via private message.

Thanks,

Admin

1/30/2012 12:03:57 PM

Frances
Frances

2)Advertising, spamming and trolling is not allowed. This includes using the forum email and Private message system to spam other members.
(This rule does not apply to announcements of science fiction events or recent fiction sales by regular forum users.)

Admin

Dear Administrator,
I don't understand this. Does it mean as a regular user, if I have a science fiction event to announce or have recent fiction sales figures to share, I'm free to do so? Why would these subjects be excepted from a no-advertising rule? Was it anticipated that puzzlesolvers, generally, would also be wanting to post and/or read such information often? Or does it mean if a regular user does make these kinds of posts, it's all right to spam that person? Were the forum rules borrowed from a different site and this sentence inadvertently left in? I've wondered about this for awhile.
Frances.
<em>edited by Frances on 1/30/2012</em>

1/30/2012 4:14:21 PM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
Frances wrote:

Admin

Dear Administrator,
I don't understand this. Does it mean as a regular user, if I have a science fiction event to announce or have recent fiction sales figures to share, I'm free to do so? Why would these subjects be excepted from a no-advertising rule? Was it anticipated that puzzlesolvers, generally, would also be wanting to post and/or read such information often? Or does it mean if a regular user does make these kinds of posts, it's all right to spam that person? Were the forum rules borrowed from a different site and this sentence inadvertently left in? I've wondered about this for awhile.
Frances.
edited by Frances on 1/30/2012

I think some of the fun puzzles in the Logic magazines often have to do with those 7 planets from outer space (Arnoz, Bleeb, Coomz, Dikdu, Elgry,
Frood and Iltor). So maybe the forum administrators felt anyone who liked those puzzles would also like science fiction events, and thus they decided
it was OK for people to advertise science fiction events.

Otherwise, I agree, Frances, it makes no sense to say "You can't advertise, except for science fiction stuff."

Not that I'd necessarily go to a Sci Fi convention, but I do like some of the Iltorian logic puzzles.

But, I'll join you in asking why there is this one exception to the policy, unless it's inadvertent.

--
Amy

1/30/2012 6:10:36 PM

Frances
Frances
Well, Amy, you're always right on the mark with your logic, so until I hear otherwise, I'm going along with the Iltorian connection! smile Reappearing themes CAN make logic problems more fun. Maybe you'll meet up with my favorites in a British edition, the knock-kneed Knights of the Round Table.
Frances.

1/30/2012 7:17:13 PM

creamchz3@aol.com
creamchz3@aol.com
A lot of the puzzles have to do with many different things. Like your crypto-botony puzzles Frances. So is it o.k. for me to advertise my plant store I've got? I believe you were right Frances, they "borrowed" the rules from another forum but didn't bother to read the whole thing. CC

1/30/2012 8:39:37 PM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
Frances wrote:
Well, Amy, you're always right on the mark with your logic, so until I hear otherwise, I'm going along with the Iltorian connection! smile Reappearing themes CAN make logic problems more fun. Maybe you'll meet up with my favorites in a British edition, the knock-kneed Knights of the Round Table.
Frances.

I will have a chance to get to those British logic puzzles one of these months, and then I'll see how I like them, Frances, and will let people on the forum
know. They sound amusing already, actually.

--
Amy

1/31/2012 12:48:17 AM

Semipro
Semipro
Well, as long as we're discussing the rules, I'll add my bit. #2 should say "Advertising, spamming, and trolling ARE not allowed."

1/31/2012 6:09:54 AM

creamchz3@aol.com
creamchz3@aol.com
Semipro, you gave me the opportunity to laugh out loud! You are absolutely correct and I can't believe that none of us "word puzzlers" picked up on that. Hilarious! CC

1/31/2012 4:24:25 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
The science fiction thing is interesting as I'm sure puzzlers' interests are as varied as the many puzzles that are available! I'm not into science fiction, but what I like to think of as science fact. Mysteries of the universe, is there life on other planets, how were the pyramids built, the paranormal and cryptozoology are all things that interest me.
<em>edited by Purple Pisces on 1/31/2012</em>

1/31/2012 10:05:33 PM

creamchz3@aol.com
creamchz3@aol.com
Why is the Administrator a guest? CC

1/31/2012 10:30:04 PM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
Good point, CC. Maybe the administrator was so new on the job when told to "do something about inappropriate posts" or whatever, that they hadn't
yet gotten a chance to get a persona. Maybe they had forgotten to sign in, but thought it was so important to put the post up that they got on as a
guest. Maybe the system was semi-broken that day, and the only way anyone could get on, was as a guest. Who knows? (Who knows what evil lurks
in the hearts of men? The Shadow knows!)

--
Amy

2/1/2012 12:57:41 AM

creamchz3@aol.com
creamchz3@aol.com
Maybe she's a woman. Actually I picture the admin. as a geeky guy with dark rimmed glasses hunched over a computer in a very small dark room deciding on what posts he will reply to with a very evil snicker. CC

2/1/2012 1:25:19 AM

Frances
Frances
Maybe the "guest" isn't the Administrator or anyone else associated with the forum, but instead, an evil alien from outer space bent on the conquering of our planet! That post with it's mysterious rule #2 could be a ruse to ferret out people (especially those annoying types who persistently enjoy "figuring out" things) who may have stumbled upon the truth, or even half-jokingly suspected it. Such people could be traced through any computer, using some kind of creepy mental telepathy-electronic hybrid thingy, and then........yet another regular forum user would suddenly disapp

2/1/2012 1:59:04 AM

creamchz3@aol.com
creamchz3@aol.com
That's some scary stuff Frances! By the way, I just finished cutting out 13 crypto-botany puzzles for you. They are from two years ago to now. I'm sure you have done some of them but I was cutting out my Mom's double troubles so I looked for them. I'll mail them off tomorrow. If anyone else has a favorite that I don't do let me know, I wait with pointy scissors! CC

2/1/2012 11:48:53 AM

Frances
Frances
Hi CC,
If you hadn't responded to my last post I was going to delete it this morning. That should teach me not to post on forums when I'm tired and sleepy. Your offering of the 13 Crypto-Botany puzzles is very generous. I'm really grateful and appreciative of the time and trouble you have gone to. You can bet I'll be looking forward to receiving them. Thank you!

Frances.

2/1/2012 12:34:49 PM

creamchz3@aol.com
creamchz3@aol.com
I mailed them this morning Frances, they're on their way! CC

2/18/2012 12:41:35 AM

Isn't each post an advert for ourselves? I just posted several times on one thread, and now I'm feeling a bit guilty that I may have spammed you all, heheheheh.

2/18/2012 3:10:47 AM

creamchz3@aol.com
creamchz3@aol.com
Like I said in the personal, great to have you back! CC

3/25/2012 9:19:42 PM

creamchz3@aol.com wrote:
Like I said in the personal, great to have you back! CC

I'll tentatively respond to that.... Heheh. No, it said 'personal' so that's definitely me. Great to be back, belatedly. Er, not be belated. Er, I was late?

Anywhooooo.. Whew, that made my brain hurt.

Home » General Discussion » Forum Rules