Solver's Forum
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Variety Central » Escalators

See what other Variety puzzle fans have to say/share your solutions.
7/10/2010 10:36:12 AM

Chris
Chris
I love the escalators puzzles, and notice that there are usually a few in every issue but I have not seen a collector's series offered for this. I would love to buy a collector's series and wonder if plans are in the works to have one.

7/13/2010 8:51:12 AM

The Editors
The Editors
Dear Chris,

Thank you for letting us know how much you enjoy our Escalators puzzles. We have no plans at this time to include it in our Selected Puzzles series. However, as always, if we hear from enough solvers we will certainly give it serious consideration. If there are other Escalator fans out there, we’d love to hear from you.

Thank you.
The Editors

7/19/2010 10:41:03 PM

jasonflord25
jasonflord25
I just would like to say I am one of a Escalators hope you guys out there who love Escalators would post here

--
Jason Flord

7/3/2012 6:27:57 PM

shelly5tex
shelly5tex
Escalators are my favorite!!!!! We NEED a Selected Puzzles series for them!

7/3/2012 8:43:53 PM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
I'm not sure if I've ever seen or tried one of the Escalators. How do they work? Are they word-based or numbers-based?

--
Amy

7/5/2012 8:38:42 AM

Indiana Puzzler
Indiana Puzzler
They are similar to Laddergrams but have words of varying length.

7/5/2012 6:30:11 PM

creamchz3@aol.com
creamchz3@aol.com
Penny or Dell? CC

7/6/2012 8:11:16 AM

Indiana Puzzler
Indiana Puzzler
I think Laddergrams are the Dell puzzle and the left most answer can be a word of varying length at least 5 letters. Escalators are the Penny puzzle but, I think, always have a left most answer that is a five letter word. Each puzzle drops a letter to fill in the secret phrase. They are a lot of fun.

7/6/2012 11:04:53 AM

Frances
Frances
Escalators can also have a 6-letter word on the left. Here's an example answer of a Penny Press Escalator:

basket b skate s teak
nursed r dunes u send
dragon o grand g darn
weasel w lease a else
burton n turbo r bout

A Dell Laddergram would have "brown" and "sugar" reading down on the extreme left and right in the diagram. Penny Press had it that way once, too.

edited by Frances on 7/6/2012

7/10/2012 3:01:15 AM

I'd say hellz yeah to either a laddergram or escalator or both, book. Cool puzzles.

4/20/2018 7:59:19 AM

DEEMASSA
DEEMASSA
The Editors wrote:
Dear Chris,

Thank you for letting us know how much you enjoy our Escalators puzzles. We have no plans at this time to include it in our Selected Puzzles series. However, as always, if we hear from enough solvers we will certainly give it serious consideration. If there are other Escalator fans out there, we’d love to hear from you.

Thank you.
The Editors

4/20/2018 8:00:23 AM

DEEMASSA
DEEMASSA
I LOVE Escalators!! I order Collectors Cryptograms, Anagram Magic Square, Brick by Brick and Syllacrostics. I'd LOVE to be able to add Escalators to the list of puzzles I order from you.

5/10/2018 10:49:11 PM

B.J.
B.J.
My fiancé (that'll change to wife in less than a month) love puzzles, so much so that we're having a puzzle-themed wedding. We've posted a bunch of home-made puzzles on our wedding web site to get our guests jazzed up for the wedding, and I found this forum trying to make an Escalator puzzle (specifically words to drop P then F, and I then Y). She's a big fan of word puzzles and escalators are our favorite puzzles to do in the car (since you're working with one line at a time, it's easy to keep track of the words in your head while driving, unlike other word puzzles where you routinely have to be read "it's 7 letters and we have a C as the third letter and an A as the 6th letter", these are just "take a letter away from 'arenas' and rearrange the letters to make a word that means 'trap'"). Please notify me if you ever do publish a book of just Escalators. Thanks!
edited by B.J. on 5/10/2018

Home » Variety Central » Escalators