Solver's Forum
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Math and Logic Problem Exchange » Collectibles

Logic Problem fans, discuss solutions and get solving help.
8/15/2010 3:39:17 PM

Ms-Kitty
Ms-Kitty
Is there any way to get more Collectibles into an issue? It's my favorite puzzle by far, but it is rare to find an issue of any title with more than 1 puzzle in it. Would it be possible to do a split page and do 2 puzzles on a single page like some of the Bingo Plays have been presented lately? Same page count, but double the number of Collectibles for gaming goodness.

8/17/2010 4:42:24 PM

ThrillerFan
ThrillerFan
I feel the same way about certain other puzzles. The balance just doesn't seem right.

Word Arithmetic, at 54 an issue, is just overkill (and too easy if you ask me). The 0, 1, 5, and 9 are often easy to determine, and any time a number up top, the one's digit of the divisior, and ones digit of its product are all the same, you know it's 1, 3, or 6 (could also be 0, but obvious when it is).

Sentence Arithmetic is mildly more challenging in that you can't just unscramble the letters to make the words. Take the May 2010 edition. I almost knew that #9 was Labyrinths the moment I saw the puzzle.

Collectibles is ok, but my favorites are:

Specialized Figure Logics (i.e. Jumbo [May 2010, #8], Circular [May 2010, #5 I think], Ones with clues in only 1 direction [Not in May 2010], ones with a hard to figure out number in the diagram playing a major role [May 2010, #11], Diagramless [Not in May 2010]

Square Logic

Cross Math

Trigons

Puzzles we could use LESS of:

Word Arithmetic

Overly Simply puzzles (i.e. Mysterious Footprints, Diamond Count, Griddigits, etc.)

What LLM&LP needs to introduce:

Challenger Math Mazes (i.e. the Maze is a Full Page)
More Challenger Logic Problems (i.e. 3 instead of 1)

In some ways, I wish LLM&LP would come out with 2 different magazines, each publised 3 times a year. "Original", and "Extreme", like the Sudoku series. Original would be like today. Extreme would be 80% Challenger Level puzzles. In other words, if there are 12 figure logics, the last 6 at least would be challenger. Cross sums would all be like #'s 17-24 instead of #'s 1-8 with 3 or 4 of the jumbo challenger ones. Logic Problems would all be the equivalent to 3-star, 4-star, and 5-star, kill the 1-star and 2-star puzzles for the "Extreme" edition.

I'm a math and logic fan, but I've gotten to the point where over half the magazine is too easy. Just like the Dell Logic Problems magazine, which I've also done before, I completely skip 1- and 2-star puzzles. 3-star is good if I need to "wind down". 4's and 5's are what I thrive upon.

You have books and/or magazines for fans of Expert and Challenger Crosswords. What about Expert and Challenger Logic puzzles?

8/18/2010 9:55:36 AM

Dell Editorial Staff
Dell Editorial Staff
Thank you for your comments and suggestions. We love getting feedback from our solvers, and it's always helpful to see how people are finding the balance of puzzle types and difficulty levels. We're taking your ideas into consideration. Happy puzzling!

1/19/2011 10:33:50 PM

nelapurrz
nelapurrz
I do like Word Arithmetic and am happy with the balance. I cannot get enough of Cross Sums. PLEASE do NOT ever publish less than what you current publish. I wish there were more Trigons and Cross Math. There definitely does NOT need to be more Sudoku. Two Sudoku Challengers are not needed. There are more than enough Sudoku mags in this world, so please no more of those.

I agree that there needs to be more Logic Challengers, and I'd like to say that I most enjoy the logic problems that do not have a grid fill in.

I terribly miss hard level Sumdoku, and Ken Ken just doesn't cut it. Why does Dell no longer put Sumdoku puzzles in MLP? I wouldn't care if some of the ones that you put in were from the old Sumdoku series. Repeats. Please?

Penny Press puzzles have, at least in the past, been considered the easier puzzles. It does seem as though Dell is making their problems easier, but why? Both mags are owned by the same company, so why the crossover? Considering that more than one or two people are talking about how easy the puzzles are becoming, PLEASE add more difficult puzzles.

3/5/2011 11:11:08 PM

twhit
twhit
I have to say that I am a Cross Sum fanatic, also. I have recently become a big fan of Bingo Plays and Trigons and I would like to see more of those puzzles in the issues. I could definitely do with much, much, much less word arithmetics and absolutely NO sudoku would suit me just fine. I've gotten to where I like doing the logic problems with the tables a little more than the ones with the grids, although I do have to have my notebook handy to solve them. May I suggest better story lines? I also love doing figure logics and would like to see more of those in the issues (MLP). I can't say that the puzzles are getting too easy or too hard. I think when you start doing puzzles like this, you develop a method of solving that works for you and this is what makes the puzzles seem easier to solve. I cannot figure out how to solve (or even start to solve) collectibles so I just don't do them. But, I love the MLP issues; they keep me occupied at work and at home. Keep up the good work.

3/15/2011 1:01:48 PM

jfire7887
jfire7887
@twhit: In solving Collectibles, when you can narrow down the possibilities in a box to two, enter the first letter of each divided by a slash. As you continue to solve, you will be able to eliminate one of them. So for example, using the LL M&LP March 2011 items (francs, centimes, pfennigs), if it said "on shelf one, both centimes are somewhere between both francs", what letters should you put in the two end boxes of shelf 1? Answer: you would put "P/F", since neither box could be a centime. Eventually, by working through the other clues, you will know whether to erase the P or the F.

7/2/2012 6:06:05 PM

nelapurrz
nelapurrz
it's been far too long without decent amounts of sumdoku! please remove ken ken from MLP and replace with hard level sumdoku puzzles. smile

7/2/2012 6:13:05 PM

nelapurrz
nelapurrz
i did just order the sumdoku pack. it would still be nice to see ken ken replaced by sumdoku in the mlp. smile

7/3/2012 2:04:22 AM

Interesting thread. Now, I'm not one for collectibles. I did them in my youth, but they just haven't interested me recently. That isn't anything bad about the puzzle, it just says something about me. I suppose I should try one or two now that I've outed myself as ignoring them, and perhaps I will. We'll see.

What interested me more on this thread was how it rounded over into talk about some puzzles that intrigue me now. Cross sums/Kakuro, Trigons, and Sumdoku. Given their frequency in magazines, I'd guess that these aren't huge with the puzzling set, heheh. Well, strike that. Cross sums seem to get a good spotlight on Dell. The reason I started doing Sumdoku was because they reminded me of this puzzle, and anything past the doldrums of regular Sudoku is an enticing improvement. Ken ken can get bent. All those math signs turn me right the heck off. I can take it with the occasional figure logic, but you want my eyes to glaze over? Put Ken ken in front of me and MAKE me solve it.

That said, a form of Sudoku that wasn't mentioned here, but I advocate highly, is jigsaw Sudoku, or whatever form it takes on whatever publication. That sizzles my synapses and focuses me in a way I want such puzzles to do. Regular Sudoku just bores me any more.

So, collectibles... I've got an open to close tomorrow at work... I may FORCE myself to try one, if for no other reason than I don't want to miss out on some fun, heheheh.

7/3/2012 9:25:06 AM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
Frankly, everyone, I find it challenging enough doing a 5-star Logic puzzle, often have to look in the back of the book for hints, and sometimes STILL don't get it right, even after the hints. I can't do Sudoku to save my life -- not even the easy ones. But we certainly have a diverse group of puzzlers that buy the various magazines published by Penny/Dell, and writing to the forum.

--
Amy

7/3/2012 5:10:36 PM

creamchz3@aol.com
creamchz3@aol.com
Is it not like this in all the mags? I'm a variety word game puzzler. Penny Press only. I randomly grabbed a mag. Ultimate Favorite Variety Puzzles August 2011. There are 6 Codewords, 5 syllacrostics, 4 logic problems, 4 pages of cryptograms, 3 brick by brick, 12 crypto-families, 9 frameworks, 6 quotegrams and then of course my favorite puzzle "2" Word Games Puzzles. I really think they ought to even it out a little better. Once in a blue moon they will have a magazine that features a certain puzzle but there are always way more syllacrostics then I care to do in all the mags. Please guys and gals, even your books (especially VARIETY) out a little bit. It's time for a change, your beginning to bore me. CC

7/3/2012 5:17:12 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
I only have 2 different issues of the LL M&LP so it's still a little early to tell what the standard collection of puzzles are for each book, especially when one of the issues is a Collector's Issue.

I will say that I enjoy the variety and varying degrees of difficulty, because sometimes I'm in the mood for an easier puzzle, and other times I prefer a real toughie! There was only 1 Trigons puzzle in the September 2012 issue of LL M&LP. I was hoping for at least 2 like the previous issue. If there could be at least 3 or 4 per issue that would be fantastic!! I like regular Sudoku, but do prefer the variations more. I thoroughly enjoy the Figure Logics and like that you put quite a few of them in each issue. Cross Sums are another favorite and appreciate the number of them as well. I love the Logic Puzzles too, and while I do enjoy solving ones with the grids, I like the challenge that comes with solving the ones with just the table.

I know it's hard to get every one's favorites in each issue, and that some favorites might not be available in the quantity that we are hoping for. There may not be a large number of people creating these puzzles, and it is to these people (as well as Penny Press and Dell) that I would like to say a big THANK YOU!! smile The time and skill you put into creating a puzzle brings myself, as well as others I'm sure, a tremendous amount of pleasure and a nice mental break from the stresses of everyday life!

7/4/2012 3:14:01 AM

creamchz3@aol.com
creamchz3@aol.com
Purple Pisces wrote:
I only have 2 different issues of the LL M&LP so it's still a little early to tell what the standard collection of puzzles are for each book, especially when one of the issues is a Collector's Issue.

I will say that I enjoy the variety and varying degrees of difficulty, because sometimes I'm in the mood for an easier puzzle, and other times I prefer a real toughie! There was only 1 Trigons puzzle in the September 2012 issue of LL M&LP. I was hoping for at least 2 like the previous issue. If there could be at least 3 or 4 per issue that would be fantastic!! I like regular Sudoku, but do prefer the variations more. I thoroughly enjoy the Figure Logics and like that you put quite a few of them in each issue. Cross Sums are another favorite and appreciate the number of them as well. I love the Logic Puzzles too, and while I do enjoy solving ones with the grids, I like the challenge that comes with solving the ones with just the table.

I know it's hard to get every one's favorites in each issue, and that some favorites might not be available in the quantity that we are hoping for. There may not be a large number of people creating these puzzles, and it is to these people (as well as Penny Press and Dell) that I would like to say a big THANK YOU!! smile The time and skill you put into creating a puzzle brings myself, as well as others I'm sure, a tremendous amount of pleasure and a nice mental break from the stresses of everyday life!

The free puzzle tonight is a Trigon. CC

7/4/2012 2:55:45 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
Thanks CC!! I didn't think that Trigons were included in that!