Solver's Forum
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » General Discussion » Submitting Puzzles

General Discussion.
5/1/2011 12:47:43 PM

Mary
Mary
I LOVE the Penny Press variety puzzles, and have created several that I would like to submit to the editors for consideration. I received info from Penny Press regarding criteria, but need advice on how to properly word a submission letter. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated. Thanks! smile

5/1/2011 5:58:23 PM

Frances
Frances
Hi mary1964,

I am a contributor to Penny Press variety magazines. For a letter to accompany your submissions, short and simple would be best. "Dear Editor, Enclosed please find [whatever you're sending] to be considered for publication. Thank you."---or something of the sort would be okay. You won't necessarily need letters later if you submit regularly.

And don't let returns bother you. I've been contributing to Penny Press for 30 years and still get some back occasionally. An editor will tell you what the problem is with a particular return, and you can try again.

Since you've already got info from Penny Press for submissions, and have some puzzles made---go for it. Good luck!

Frances.

5/2/2011 12:23:28 PM

Mary
Mary
Thanks so much Frances! It's great that you have been a regular contributor for 30 years. Do you have any other advice/tips for "rookies" like myself? Thanks again and have a great day smile

Mary

5/2/2011 2:32:31 PM

Frances
Frances
Hi Mary,

I can give you a few generalities. Accuracy and neatness are important. Test solve all puzzles. Even the hard ones that take a while. Make sure there's only one solution if it is required. Re-check your submissions just before they're sent off. It's rare that I don't find at least one typo or other little goof that I have to fix.

Check back issues to study whatever puzzle you're working on for style, word count, difficulty and length of clues, etc. Flyers inserted in the magazines sell packs of back issues, although these are usually half Dell and half Penny Press. On the back of magazines there are offers where you can get Penny Press only in packs of 8 or 16. This is a lot cheaper than just picking up an issue here and there in the stores (although I do that too).

Word books for solvers for finding an answer when they only know a letter or two are helpful to constructors, too. Two of my favorites:
-The Crossword Answer Book by Stanley Newman & Daniel Stark (Times Books)
-The Complete Crossword WordFinder by Diane Emerson Spino (Perigee)
A dictionary and a thesaurus are good to have, of course.

Remember Penny Press likes things upbeat. Be as original as you can within the limits of a particular puzzle, and the style of previous examples.

If you have any questions, let me know. If we're lucky, I might know the answers!

Frances.

5/2/2011 2:37:01 PM

Mary
Mary
Thank you!

10/29/2017 5:56:21 PM

mary elder
mary elder
how do I submit my logic puzzles to your company

--
how can I forward my logic puzzles I have created to your company

Home » General Discussion » Submitting Puzzles