Solver's Forum
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Variety Central » Whats Left

See what other Variety puzzle fans have to say, share your solutions, and get help.
9/13/2011 7:18:55 PM

creamchz3@aol.com
creamchz3@aol.com
I purchased a book of these, I realized lately they are one of the first puzzles I do in the variety magazines. The problem was that they were all the same. Same length, every puzzle was the same. One puzzle would say cross off words that rhyme with light on line 7 and the next puzzle would be cross off words that rhyme with red on line 7 and so on through the whole book. It was so tedious about halfway through I whipped the book in the garbage. I just noticed they just came out with a new book. Obviously I'm too scared to order it!

11/17/2011 12:15:26 AM

creamchz3@aol.com wrote:
I purchased a book of these, I realized lately they are one of the first puzzles I do in the variety magazines. The problem was that they were all the same. Same length, every puzzle was the same. One puzzle would say cross off words that rhyme with light on line 7 and the next puzzle would be cross off words that rhyme with red on line 7 and so on through the whole book. It was so tedious about halfway through I whipped the book in the garbage. I just noticed they just came out with a new book. Obviously I'm too scared to order it!

Yeah, cc. I think those are better left in small doses. Quite frankly, I DO enjoy them, but going through a whole book with that being your only source of puzzlement, if you will, would be ennui inducing, to say the very least! Heheh. Sad that you tossed it, though. I think a better option would have been to make it a part-timer. Solving two a day, or one a week, or something. That way, the monotony is minimal, and the enjoyment of that particular book could be savored for a long time.

I'll give you an example of my inability to do the above, because the puzzle type draws me in every time and I can't help myself with them. I know they've discontinued the series, Brain Boosters, but if you can get ahold of their picture puzzle editions, I'm addicted. I've finished 2 of the three I got in a Brain Boosters pack in the span of two seven hour workdays. I'm rather ravenous with them, heheh. With other books, especially a certain puzzle-centric type (crossword, word search, sudoku), I can easily do a few and then set it aside and leave it for another day. With the picture puzzles, they fascinate me so much that I just plow through them in no time and I end up with palpable regret as I turn the last pages, heheheh.

If you do end up ordering the next one, I suggest you try the few at a time thing. I do them in every variety book I get and enjoy them as well, but if it were my one and only book, I'd get bored with it, frankly.

11/19/2011 5:03:54 AM

creamchz3@aol.com
creamchz3@aol.com
I've done a bunch in a row of different magazines. They are at least different. In size, how many lines that tell you what to do and then of course, what to do. I swear these puzzles were exactly the same except they would substitute one number for another, one word for another, but tell you to do the same thing. These puzzles in the magazines can be long, short, super easy or more difficult. In the book I received, they were all the same. I don't know how else to explain it. Any replies from the editors? They must know what I'm talking about. CC

11/21/2011 7:20:31 AM

The Editors
The Editors
Dear creamchz3,
Thank you for your interest in Penny Press. Regarding your comments in connection with our What’s Left? Vol. 1, we’re actually a bit surprised. You are the first person to comment that they found the puzzles in this volume are too repetitive. Although we do acknowledge that most of the puzzles in the volume are the same length, they originally appeared in wide variety of our different magazines and you should have experienced the same variety of solve you describe above. We’d like to hear from other solvers of this volume. What was your experience? For those of you who purchased subsequent volumes, what was your experience with those puzzles? Please let us know.
The Editors

11/22/2011 3:52:40 AM

creamchz3@aol.com
creamchz3@aol.com
It wasn't volume 1. I think it was 4.

9/21/2014 12:36:55 PM

Sherry1000@gmail.com
Sherry1000@gmail.com
I have What's Left Volume 1. I'd like to order more volumes but I can't figure it out on this website. Can you send me a link please?

9/21/2014 1:20:07 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
Hi Sherry! Here's a link to the page you're looking for: http://www.pennydellpuzzles.com/product.aspx?c=selectedpuzzlespuzzlebooks&p=WTL

If you ever want to find the page, you can find it by looking under "Our Products" and from there select "Penny Selected Puzzles" in the drop down menu (selecting the "Puzzle Books" option, and you can find "What's Left" on page #4.
edited by Purple Pisces on 9/21/2014

Home » Variety Central » Whats Left