Solver's Forum
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Math and Logic Problem Exchange » Baseball Team Problem

Logic Problem fans, discuss solutions and get solving help.
11/29/2011 9:45:32 PM

xivivx
xivivx
This is a very old puzzle I can't figure out from my old days 1994. I remember I was trying to figure it out at 1994, April, but never could until this day at November 2011. I will need your help.

Nine men play the positions on a baseball team. Their names are Brown, White, Adams, Miller, Green, Hunter, Knight, Smith, and Jones. Determine from the following information the position played by each man.

1. Brown and Smith each won $10 playing poker with the pitcher.
2. Hunter is taller than Knight and shorter than White, but each weigh more than the first baseman.
3. The third baseman lives across the corridor from Jones in the same apartment house.
4. Miller and the outfielders play bridge in their spare time.
5. White, Miller, Brown, the right fielder, and the center fielder are bachelors, and the rest are married.
6. Of Adams and Knight, one plays an outfield position.
7. The right fielder is shorter than the center fielder.
8. The third baseman is a brother of the pitcher’s wife.
9. Green is taller than the infielders and the battery (i.e., the pitcher and catcher) except for Jones, Brown, and Adams.
10. The second baseman beat Jones, Brown, Hunter, and the catcher at cards.
11. The third baseman, the shortstop, and Hunter made $150 each speculating General Motors stock.
12. The second baseman is engaged to Miller’s sister.
13. Adams lives in the same house as his sister but dislikes the catcher.
14. Adams, Brown, and the shortstop lost $200 each speculating in grain.
15. The catcher has three daughters, the third baseman has two sons, but Green is being sued for divorce.

12/4/2011 1:39:40 PM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
xivivx wrote:
This is a very old puzzle I can't figure out from my old days 1994. I remember I was trying to figure it out at 1994, April, but never could until this day at November 2011. I will need your help.

Nine men play the positions on a baseball team. Their names are Brown, White, Adams, Miller, Green, Hunter, Knight, Smith, and Jones. Determine from the following information the position played by each man.

1. Brown and Smith each won $10 playing poker with the pitcher.
2. Hunter is taller than Knight and shorter than White, but each weigh more than the first baseman.
3. The third baseman lives across the corridor from Jones in the same apartment house.
4. Miller and the outfielders play bridge in their spare time.
5. White, Miller, Brown, the right fielder, and the center fielder are bachelors, and the rest are married.
6. Of Adams and Knight, one plays an outfield position.
7. The right fielder is shorter than the center fielder.
8. The third baseman is a brother of the pitcher’s wife.
9. Green is taller than the infielders and the battery (i.e., the pitcher and catcher) except for Jones, Brown, and Adams.
10. The second baseman beat Jones, Brown, Hunter, and the catcher at cards.
11. The third baseman, the shortstop, and Hunter made $150 each speculating General Motors stock.
12. The second baseman is engaged to Miller’s sister.
13. Adams lives in the same house as his sister but dislikes the catcher.
14. Adams, Brown, and the shortstop lost $200 each speculating in grain.
15. The catcher has three daughters, the third baseman has two sons, but Green is being sued for divorce.

--
Amy

12/4/2011 1:42:56 PM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
Couldn't figure out how to reply before; sorry. I started getting the logic magazine in 2001, and never saw this baseball puzzle before. Thanks in advance for
posting it, "xivivx." It sounds as if it's a 9x2 grid, and you eliminate a number of possibilities through some of the "irrelevant" wording. For example, when I get
started with this, I'm going to cross off "Adams" being "catcher," based on Clue 13, just as an example.

If I get it solved, I'll post back. Maybe I'll even post back if I get up to a certain point and then get stuck. -- Amy

--
Amy

12/4/2011 2:52:30 PM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
After asking my husband the definition of "infield" I was able to solve the puzzle. (I already knew "outfield" is only right field, left field, and center field. I knew
"infield" was 1B, 2B and 3B but wasn't sure about ShortStop. My husband confirmed ShortStop is part of the infield.) In the US edition of the logic puzzle book,
they often give definitions just to be sure people know, for example, what a "square" or a "cube" is. They would probably have put in the definition of outfield
and infield.

The US book almost always puts things into alphabetical order, so that's what I'll do. I got that Adams plays 3B, Brown 1B, Green LF, Hunter Ctr Field, Jones
is the pitcher, Knight plays Right Field, Miller plays SS, Smith is the catcher, and White plays 2B.

Using Clue 1, I got that the pitcher wasn't Smith or Brown.

Using part of Clue 2, I got that Knight, Hunter and White are eliminated from possibility of playing 1B. Much later in the solving, I used the rest of Clue 2
(combined with Clue 7) to figure out Hunter's and Knight's positions. I will get to that later.

Using Clue 3, I eliminated Jo0nes from playing 3B.

Using Clue 4, I eliminated Miller from RF, LF and CF.

Using Clue 5, first of all, I eliminated White and Brown from RF and CF (Miller was already eliminated from those positions based on Clue 4). I also wrote
in, in small letters, by the names Brown, Miller & Smith, "single." I also wrote in, by the positions RF and CF, "single." In later clues when people were hinted
at being married, I crossed them out of RF and CF, and so on. More on this later.

I interpreted Clue 6 to mean that Knight or Adams, but not both, play an outfield position. I put a question mark in each box where Adams might be right field,
left field or center field. I put a similar question mark in each such box for Knight.

On clue 7, I temporarily left it alone. Much later I came back and wrote a short "height comparison" chart for myself. That chart shows RF being less
than CF.

On clue 8, I now knew that the pitcher is married (how else could he have a wife?), so back to my little tiny letters, I put "married" by the word "pitcher." I then
knew that White, Miller and Brown, known to be single from Clue 5, could all be eliminated from being the pitcher.

On clue 9, I took it to mean not only that Green was not part of the infield or battery (therefore, he has to be part of the outfield), but also that Jones, Brown
and Adams are part of the infield and/or battery. I assumed that was the meaning of the wording that Green is taller than 6 positions aside from 3 guys who
are named, who I think have to be part of those 6 positions.

On clue 10, I eliminated Jones, Brown and Hunter from being the 2B and the catcher.

On clue 11, I eliminated Hunter from playing 3B or SS. Hunter was left with either CF or RF. Knight or Adams (not known yet which one) is another
outfielder.

On clue 12, I figured it meant the 2nd baseman is single. He's ENGAGED to Miller's sister, but he isn't married to her YET. Also, Miller isn't the 2nd B. So
I added my tiny letters "single" under the position of 2B. Then I went back to clue 5 and decided that of the 5 single guys, whoever plays 2B must be
one of the first 3 named, namely White, Miller or Brown. It can't be Miller so it must be Brown or White.

On clue 13, I learned that Adams is not the catcher.

On clue 14, I learned neither Adams nor Brown plays SS.

On clue 15, I assumed the catcher with the daughters was married, the 3rd basemen with the sons was married, and Green, being sued for divorce but not
yet divorced, is also married. So back up to my tiny letter, I filled in "married" by the positions of catcher and 3B, and by the name of Green.

At that point I was looking for 5 positions of single guys and 4 positions of married guys. I knew Pitcher and Catcher were married, and 3B was married.
Based on Clue 9, Green wasn't the pitcher or catcher, nor any of the infield positions, so he had to be Left Field, and that was the last Married position.

I forget by now how I figured out a bunch of other guys' positions based on elimination, but I got them all, by elimination (in some cases, crossing off a name
of a known single guy, from a known married position, or whatever).

Somehow I got that Knight and Hunter were right or center field, and on one of the clues, Knight is shorter than Hunter. On another clue, RF is shorter
than CF. So I decided Knight plays RF and Hunter plays CF.

I hope I'm right, after all this.

--
Amy

4/5/2018 6:03:56 PM

nelapurrz
nelapurrz
Amy Lowenstein wrote:
After asking my husband the definition of "infield" I was able to solve the puzzle. (I already knew "outfield" is only right field, left field, and center field. I knew
"infield" was 1B, 2B and 3B but wasn't sure about ShortStop. My husband confirmed ShortStop is part of the infield.) In the US edition of the logic puzzle book,
they often give definitions just to be sure people know, for example, what a "square" or a "cube" is. They would probably have put in the definition of outfield
and infield.

The US book almost always puts things into alphabetical order, so that's what I'll do. I got that Adams plays 3B, Brown 1B, Green LF, Hunter Ctr Field, Jones
is the pitcher, Knight plays Right Field, Miller plays SS, Smith is the catcher, and White plays 2B.

I have been working on this today, and I can't figure it out. I don't think that 3B can be Adams because Adams lives in a house and 3B lives in an apartment (clues 3 and 13). I get so close to solving this, and I keep coming up short. The funny thing is that I copied this puzzle years ago to work out to see how my answer compared to yours, but then I totally forgot about and just found it today.

What do you think about what I've said? Also, I'm uncertain why a married man would live with his sister (if we decide Adams is married, which I also ended up deciphering) if we just assume that men with children are married (which I also did). It just seems odd to me, but maybe not. I mean, if we can't rule rule out him being married, then why can't we rule out the fathers aren't single? I'm not questioning you! smile I'm questioning the logic of the puzzle because my answers were similar to yours after deduction/ ruling out. Well, all but Adams being the third baseman because of the apartment/house issue.

If these words are important, then I'm wondering how the speculating and card playing helps with the puzzle. I think that they are superfluous and unimportant, but now this puzzle is driving bonkers.

4/9/2018 11:14:39 PM

Lemonade
Lemonade
nelapurrz wrote:
Amy Lowenstein wrote:
and infield.

I have been working on this today, and I can't figure it out. I don't think that 3B can be Adams because Adams lives in a house and 3B lives in an apartment (clues 3 and 13). I get so close to solving this, and I keep coming up short. The funny thing is that I copied this puzzle years ago to work out to see how my answer compared to yours, but then I totally forgot about and just found it today.

What do you think about what I've said? Also, I'm uncertain why a married man would live with his sister (if we decide Adams is married, which I also ended up deciphering) if we just assume that men with children are married (which I also did). It just seems odd to me, but maybe not. I mean, if we can't rule rule out him being married, then why can't we rule out the fathers aren't single? I'm not questioning you! smile I'm questioning the logic of the puzzle because my answers were similar to yours after deduction/ ruling out. Well, all but Adams being the third baseman because of the apartment/house issue.

If these words are important, then I'm wondering how the speculating and card playing helps with the puzzle. I think that they are superfluous and unimportant, but now this puzzle is driving bonkers.

4/9/2018 11:15:35 PM

Lemonade
Lemonade
Hi Amy could you give me any tips on the word math problems

4/10/2018 10:59:17 AM

gauthier
gauthier
Lemonade wrote:

https://www.pennydellpuzzles.com/forum/topic1505-amy.aspx I don't think those tips will be forthcoming.
edited by gauthier on 4/10/2018

4/10/2018 2:18:33 PM

Frances
Frances
Lemonade wrote:

Some links to tips on Word Math can be found here:

https://www.pennydellpuzzles.com/forum/topic1545-word-math.aspx

Home » Math and Logic Problem Exchange » Baseball Team Problem