Solver's Forum
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Variety Central » I'm Out of my Favorite puzzles!

See what other Variety puzzle fans have to say/share your solutions.
2/29/2012 8:25:03 AM

Bernadette1959
Bernadette1959
CC, the alphanumerics have never given me too much trouble. I used to be a big fan of Word Arithmetic and I think solving these for years might have helped me!

The section of Word Games puzzles that always gives me fits is really one of the easier ones, or at least I think it's intended to be, and that's the section where you're given just letters and have to discover the word. I believe these are titled something like "Two + Three = One", etc. I can go on and off all day with a scrap of paper trying to figure these things out! LOL smile
<em>edited by Bernadette1959 on 2/29/2012</em>

2/29/2012 3:28:49 PM

creamchz3@aol.com
creamchz3@aol.com
They are just regular anagrams. I either get them right away or they will drive me nuts for awhile. I find because I do so many of these, that they repeat the same clues quite often. Especially the anagram words. Movie titles and actors are another. Also, one I hate, state flowers, who the heck knows these? I've lived in five states and could'nt tell you one of the state flowers! CC

2/29/2012 4:40:17 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
The anagrams are the clues I usually go to when I'm stuck with the puzzle. Like CC said, sometimes I figure them out right away, and other times it will take me a while. As far as there being a puzzle with clues that require some "outside" knowledge, as opposed to Cryptograms, Code Words or Logic, Word Games are my definite favorite. It provides a good challenge, where it doesn't get so tough that it's frustrating, and I like that I'm always learning something new.

2/29/2012 9:16:26 PM

creamchz3@aol.com
creamchz3@aol.com
I like it too but the catagories about baseball, authors and the french language I can do without. CC

3/1/2012 12:54:07 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
I know what you mean CC! They definiely make the puzzle trickier. I started a puzzle that has a category where it sounds French so I'm not exactly sure what I'm in for. The puzzle also some alphanumerics though, and thanks to your help got a good start with those! smile

3/2/2012 3:26:36 AM

creamchz3@aol.com
creamchz3@aol.com
And why French? Canadian is sooo much easier. CC

3/2/2012 8:57:51 AM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
Wow, CC. I just realized you're up to 126 posts! That was fast, to get past 100. Now I'll have to take a good look at the rankings. You're probably the
top one. If not, you will be soon. What? I didn't even realize I, too, got up to 105, which is past 100. This is unreal!
<em>edited by Amy-in-PA on 3/2/2012</em>

--
Amy

3/2/2012 3:08:06 PM

creamchz3@aol.com
creamchz3@aol.com
I noticed when you hit 100. I was going to say something and I don't know why I didn't. Just brain fade I guess. CC

3/2/2012 4:44:44 PM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
I've been too busy doing tax returns to notice. But visiting the forum is a nice diversion from work.

--
Amy

3/2/2012 5:15:55 PM

creamchz3@aol.com
creamchz3@aol.com
O.K, I just ran across the worst catagory in Word Games history. It is the last catagory in volume 7, page 51. I've done this book before and for the life of me cannot figure out why I don't remember it. I'm hoping it's because I was smart enough to forget it. I'm sure a lot of you don't have this magazine so let me give you an example: MIXED VEGETABLES (catagory) 1. Cry over spilt borscht? (question) Answer? Are you ready? Don't that beet all. 2. Wax heroic? (question) Answer? Really? Bean not afraid. Yes folks, as the Word Games puzzles go, and I do them all, that my friends is horrible to say the least. CC

3/2/2012 6:07:09 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
creamchz3@aol.com wrote:
I'm hoping it's because I was smart enough to forget it.

ROFLMAO That's funny CC! IF I was doing that puzzle I would be all messed up!! LOL! I did one a few weeks ago, can't remember the category but one of the answers was "Goof Fellas" as opposed to "Good Fellas" Not as bad a pun or twist on words as your puzzle and even that tripped me up. If anything it keeps the puzzles interesting and keeps us on our toes! Thanks for sharing! smile

By the way has any one ever looked at all the smilies that are available? There are some unique ones to put it politely.

3/2/2012 8:39:21 PM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
creamchz3@aol.com wrote:
O.K, I just ran across the worst catagory in Word Games history. It is the last catagory in volume 7, page 51. I've done this book before and for the life of me cannot figure out why I don't remember it. I'm hoping it's because I was smart enough to forget it. I'm sure a lot of you don't have this magazine so let me give you an example: MIXED VEGETABLES (catagory) 1. Cry over spilt borscht? (question) Answer? Are you ready? Don't that beet all. 2. Wax heroic? (question) Answer? Really? Bean not afraid. Yes folks, as the Word Games puzzles go, and I do them all, that my friends is horrible to say the least. CC

I like GOOD puns, but these are HORRIBLE puns. I've never done one of these puzzles, and I suspect I never will. That kind of bad pun would drive me
crazy.

--
Amy

3/3/2012 1:32:35 AM

creamchz3@aol.com
creamchz3@aol.com
Now Amy, you have to remember these are my favorite puzzles. I hope you do try one someday, you may get hooked like me. Believe me when I say that they would not be my favorites if they all stunk to high heaven like that one did. They don't put the names of the puzzle writers on these (like someone would claim this one) so who knows what drug they were on when they wrote it. CC

3/3/2012 2:19:22 PM

Bernadette1959
Bernadette1959
creamchz3@aol.com wrote:

LOL!! This is hilarious!

I did one the other day with a funny category called "Yummy Rhymes." One of the entries was "Jinxed Sausage." Can you guess the answer? It's two words with a total of eleven letters. (My daughter had a fit laughing when I told her about it! smile

3/3/2012 10:47:27 PM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
Bernadette1959 wrote:
creamchz3@aol.com wrote:

LOL!! This is hilarious!

I did one the other day with a funny category called "Yummy Rhymes." One of the entries was "Jinxed Sausage." Can you guess the answer? It's two words with a total of eleven letters. (My daughter had a fit laughing when I told her about it! smile

Could it perhaps be "Swami Salami?" Total of 11 letters, rhymes, has something to do with sausage, but I don't know what the jinx is.

--
Amy

3/3/2012 11:46:35 PM

creamchz3@aol.com
creamchz3@aol.com
I'm stumped on that one! Is the first word "hexed"? What kind of sausage rhymes with that? It must not be. I'am totally stumped. I'll think some more. CC

3/3/2012 11:48:14 PM

creamchz3@aol.com
creamchz3@aol.com
Jinx-links rhymes. CC (this is driving me nuts you know!)

3/4/2012 12:17:14 AM

Frances
Frances
Could it be cursed wurst?

3/4/2012 2:55:14 AM

creamchz3@aol.com
creamchz3@aol.com
That's got to be it Francis. The real problem I'm having is where this puzzle is and why don't I have it. Did I miss a variety puzzle book that came out? I buy them all and have all the Select Puzzles. Where is it? CC

3/4/2012 6:37:17 AM

Bernadette1959
Bernadette1959
Yes, Frances, that is the correct answer! It had me totally stumped, too, until I managed to fill in quite a few of the letters!

CC, the puzzle is from "Ultimate World's Finest Variety Puzzles" for Spring 2012. This is one of those quarterly publications and this issue has a light blue cover. I've had it for about a month now so it still should be on sale in the store. It's one of the few full-sized magazines that I subscribe to. The clue I gave here is from the second Word Games puzzle! smile

Bernadette
<em>edited by Bernadette1959 on 3/4/2012</em>

Home » Variety Central » I'm Out of my Favorite puzzles!