Solver's Forum
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Crossword Talk » Question.

Discuss your favorite Crosswords. If you need solving help, ask here!
3/8/2012 1:20:26 PM

swalsh33
swalsh33
In puzzle 23 of Dell fun to solve the February 2012 issue for 9 down the clue is 'Fabled bed lump' the answer is pea. I don't get it?

3/8/2012 2:23:35 PM

Frances
Frances
The reference is to the fable "The Princess and the Pea," where a princess proves her true nobility by having sensed a pea that had been placed under a stack of 20 mattresses she had slept atop.

3/8/2012 6:34:53 PM

creamchz3@aol.com
creamchz3@aol.com
The only thing I can think is Swalsh33 is a male. Don't all women know all the Fairy Tales? Ido! (that would be bad if I'm wrong, but willing to chance it) CC

3/8/2012 10:15:24 PM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
I don't necessarily know all the fairy tales, but I do remember that the Broadway musical "Once Upon a Mattress" was based upon the story, "The Princess
and the Pea." I didn't know how many layers of mattresses there were.

I did once have a book of little-known Grimm's Fairy Tales, and I liked many of those, because they showed good triumphing over evil. Sometimes the good
sister felt very charitable toward her bad sisters, and forgave them at the end, but in some, the bad sister got what she deserved (being showered in
pitch, not in gold, for example).

--
Amy

3/9/2012 12:01:58 AM

creamchz3@aol.com
creamchz3@aol.com
The real Grimm's Fairy Tales are some of the scariest stories ever written! CC

3/9/2012 10:28:23 AM

Indiana Puzzler
Indiana Puzzler
I always preffered the Sesame Street version, "The Princess and the Cookie" in which cookie monster devours the mattresses to get the cookie!

3/15/2012 1:23:49 AM

I remember one with a freezing little gal with one match witnessing her best Christmas ever. Not sure if it was Grimm, but the outcome was. Perished in an alley alone, with a burnt match in her hand. I'm a sensitive man even now, and that made me cry as a child. I guess empathy can be a blessing and a fault.

3/15/2012 2:12:52 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
The fairy tales that I'm most familiar with are the movies that Disney put out LOL!! Cinderella being my favorite. Speaking of Grimm's Fairy Tales, I think there might be a show on tv about these. Haven't caught an episode but remember seeing a commercial awhile back.

TDHO I know what you mean about empathy! Every time I see one of those ASPCA commercials on tv I have to change the channel or there's a pretty good chance I'll end up in tears.

3/15/2012 3:05:34 PM

Noeckett
Noeckett
As a father of two girls (and having always been a Disney fan myself), I am more familiar with the Disney versions as well, but they always change the endings to be happy. They even do so in their non-fairy tale movies, like The Hunchback of Notre Dame. I love that movie, but they definitely took some liberties with the original story. I can see why, though, with as dark as the endings to the original tales are.

I haven't seen the Grimm TV show but it looks like it stays true to the darker versions.

3/16/2012 12:24:10 AM

creamchz3@aol.com
creamchz3@aol.com
The original Grimm Fairy Tales didn't always have a happy ending. One that I can think of that did was one of the scariest stories of all and that was Hansel and Gretel. If you have never read the original stories you ought to head to the library and check them out. They are nothing like the Disney version (which I can't stand anyway), and I don't believe they were written for children either. I had an original Grimm's book and the illustrations were terrifying. Everyone now thinks of Trolls as these little dolls with big noses and long hair but in this book and in the story they were literally monsters who would eat humans. Sound like a childrens story to you? Sweet dreams! CC

3/16/2012 9:16:27 AM

Indiana Puzzler
Indiana Puzzler
I believe Grimm's Fairy Tales were created to instruct children on values and they are quite chilling. I remember as a child being terrified of the image of a witch with a candy house luring children in and then cooking them in the oven! Moral of the story = sweets are a no-no!

3/16/2012 2:56:50 PM

swalsh33
swalsh33
swalsh33 wrote:
In puzzle 23 of Dell fun to solve the February 2012 issue for 9 down the clue is 'Fabled bed lump' the answer is pea. I don't get it?

Thanks one and all for the reply to my question. I was more into Aesop's fables than Grimm when a youngster.

Home » Crossword Talk » Question.