Solver's Forum
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Sudoku Scene » Crazy For Sudoku Variety

Sudoku fans, share your solving strategies, talk about the types and levels of Sudoku you like best and get help.
4/13/2012 9:04:37 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
Penny/Dell,

Just within the last week the Crazy for Sudoku magazine caught my attention after a fellow poster mentioned that it contained a couple Trigon puzzles. Now I notice the title is changed to Crazy For Sudoku Favorites, and that Trigons are omitted from the description. Are there any other Sudoku magazines that contain Trigons?

4/16/2012 4:03:12 PM

admin
admin
Administrator
Purple Pisces wrote:
Penny/Dell,

Just within the last week the Crazy for Sudoku magazine caught my attention after a fellow poster mentioned that it contained a couple Trigon puzzles. Now I notice the title is changed to Crazy For Sudoku Favorites, and that Trigons are omitted from the description. Are there any other Sudoku magazines that contain Trigons?

Hi Purple Pisces,

Thank you for asking. We did make some recent changes to Crazy for Sudoku based on solver feedback. It now includes more Jigsaw Sudoku and Sum-Doku and replaces some other puzzles. We don't currently publish another Sudoku magazine that includes Trigons, but we suggest checking out Logic Lovers Math & Logic Problems: http://www.pennydellpuzzles.com/product.aspx?c=LogicMathSubscriptions&p=DML. This title contains primarily logic puzzles but also includes Trigons, Sudoku and many other puzzles formerly included in Crazy for Sudoku.

Best,

Admin

4/16/2012 6:21:17 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
Thank you for replying! A lot of the puzzles in Logic Lovers Math & Logic Problems are tough (for me) but may just have to give them a try to get my Trigons Puzzles fix! wink

4/19/2012 2:50:10 AM

Purple Pisces wrote:
Thank you for replying! A lot of the puzzles in Logic Lovers Math & Logic Problems are tough (for me) but may just have to give them a try to get my Trigons Puzzles fix! wink

Man, Purple one. I have had some fun this week. I have been working through a Math and Logic from, I think, Jan 2009. It had 2 Trigons! After that recent thread, I was anxious to try these suckers again. I can say this... I took a lot of thought and different thought, or a different mindset from what I was used to, but I can say I was NEARLY successful on the first of them. I'm not sure if I can describe this well, but I'm going to try.

I think you need pretty good observation skills for these puzzles, and quite a bit of patience. I kept looking and looking and suddenly there'd be an 8 that was 431, but it's neighbors could only handle a 3 and a 1, so the 4 went so, and the one and three went in their respective neighbors. Perhaps that eliminated one of two of the 8 with a 1, and there was another 8 with a 1 neighbor on the board, so it made THAT easier...

Does that sound silly? I don't care, heheh. It was REALLY fun to try and solve them. I have to confess that the second one hasn't gone so well. You may have come upon this, but I had a cluster of nines. By that, I mean that there were 3 nines in a series of 4 triangles. In this case, it was a straight line on the side of the board. I THOUGHT I had them all right and set, but the rest of the puzzle wasn't flowing at all, so I took a peek. I flubbed the order of them all up, which led to mistakes elsewhere, but not anything catastrophic. A 003 should have been a 012, or some such. Localized failure, but I consider it a learning process. I think I will eventually get one cleanly with no miscues, and in PEN! I have a few more M&LP in my pack to hone my newly tempered skills.

I'll tell ya.... If you like Trigons that much, I think you'd find Cross Sums appealing as well. Bern and maybe CC turned me on to them, and frankly, I've become addicted. You just need to try it and figure out the mind set like you did with Trigons. Do what I did. Take the back page cheat for help to start, and then figure them out as you play them. There were 24 of them in the L&MP that I'm going through now, and I devoured them like a desert island refugee would his first chance at a cheeseburger. I NEARLY got the whole jumbo correct, but I let my brain stop thinking and my hand fill it in for a moment. I love them now, and hope you can too. I SHUNNED them before I got a LP variety pack.

4/19/2012 1:34:18 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
You're absolutely right TDHO!! Solving Trigons takes patience! I like that these puzzles take a little bit of time to solve, especially when there are so few of them available now.

I do like Cross Sums and have been solving from an older book of them I have. The puzzles that scare me in the Dell Math & Logic are the ones that are the crossowords with the numbers. I looked at an issue of Logic and Math the other day at the store and there seems to be enough of the "non-scary" puzzles to make it worth it. smile

4/19/2012 11:20:17 PM

Ahhh, I got cornfuzzled there, PP. Sorry. In looking at a cross sum, they very much look like a crossword with numbers. Heck, the figure logics do too.

When I got my 28 logic pack, I thought to my self, SELF: Look at how many of these math thingies are in there... You just wasted your fool money on crap you won't find interesting! Boy, was I wrong. I can waste as many fun hours on them as I do any other of my books. Loving the cross sums, loving the sudoku challengers, loving the trigons, flirting with the figure logic less than admirably, etc. Too many good things in there, and I'm humble enough to take a few lickings with them until I really start ticking.

4/20/2012 4:43:10 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
I don't know the name of the puzzle, but there is a certain one in the Math and Logic magazine that is set up with clues like a traditional crossword, only the answers are numbers. I'm not afraid of the math, it's just the few times I've tried these puzzles they've been difficult for me. I really do like the Cross Sums, and from what I've seen they put a good amount into an issue. Plus I like the logic puzzles too. Have never done the Word Arithmetic, so those will be a new for me.

4/20/2012 5:40:19 PM

Frances
Frances
I wonder if you're thinking of Figure Logic, most of which are constructed by Linda Thistle. Clues are like: 1-Across plus 7-Down; or Square of 19-Across. To get started you have to use a couple of clues together---I have trouble figuring out which ones even after reading them all!

4/20/2012 8:48:28 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
That sounds like the puzzle Frances! smile Thanks!!

5/6/2012 1:05:29 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
Well I finally got myself a copy of the Dell Logic Lover's Math & Logic Problems. You were right Frances the puzzle I was referring to was the Figure Logic! smile They're not as scary as I remember them being, but then again I only solved the beginner puzzle so far. LOL! Just from thumbing through the book it looks like one I will really enjoy.

5/7/2012 8:18:36 AM

Chris the Indiana Puzzler
Chris the Indiana Puzzler
PP - Figure Logics are tough! I bought a LL M & LPs last summer, did the beginner FL and thought it was a breeze! Then I tried the next problem in the mag and it is how many months later and I still don't have it done, even with some of the helps. I spent about an hour on it last week and still didn't complete the puzzle. When I do puzzles in the evening, I try and complete them so I have the satisfaction of knowing it's done. I'll just have to get back up on the horse and finish it off and move to the next one in the mag.

--
Peace Out.

5/7/2012 1:19:09 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
After finishing the beginner Figure Logic I am now trying the second one and am noticing it to be more difficult. I am scanning each clue to see where I can fill in just one digit and hoping that will open up some more possibilities. Good Luck IN_Puzzler!! smile

Home » Sudoku Scene » Crazy For Sudoku Variety