Solver's Forum
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Your Opinion » My Opinion

Give us your feedback about our new forum.
4/20/2012 12:13:41 AM

Howdy, Admin, and please allow me to offer up a few things that I think might improve your site a little. I'm no expert, but I AM a site admin on a board elsewhere, and I do have experience in reading multiples of forums.

I think you've got the topic list covered pretty well. The front page is easy to read, and there are a number of places where folks can come and read about specific topics in your magazines. I'm not sure about the separation of Penny and Dell, but I'm sure there's a good reason for it. I enjoy the fact you have this topic where we can talk to you specifically, and the general chat is a gas as well. I'd suggest keeping an eye on dates on the front page. Naturally, there will be some topics that lag, so if you see it, perhaps there could be a merging that would make your jobs easier, and make it that much more of a community? I don't know, I'm just tossing ideas out there.

I don't want to be confusing, so let me define a few things. Forum. That's this whole place. Topics are what I'm calling the headings on the front page. Threads are the headings within the topics when you click on one. Posts would be the continuation of that within a thread. Clear? Cool.

Now, let's get to it, shall we? I currently have 576 unread topics, which I defined as threads. That's a taunt to me, as I'm current with near everything here, but your new system is telling me I'm far from it. If there was some way for me to remove that easily, say a 'mark all as read' button, that would be good but I'm not seeing one. Enlighten me if I'm missing it. If there isn't, your forum is telling me my past due diligence was all for naught, and that's why I call it a taunt, heheh. I suggest you fix that in some way.

Also, let me say this. Most of us are mature individuals here, though I might be in some question, and I REALLY don't think we need a plus/minus here. I know that's a trend on some forums that are popular, but all it's really doing is laying something out there that could foment what you don't want. Controversy. For example, we get a teen on here that doesn't enjoy the site's members because we're older, but REALLY likes clicking those minus buttons, and you're going to have long-standing folks here that may get offended by it. I'm not one of them, as I'm built entirely of Teflon and used chewing gum, but no sense in giving a strong board readership-wise, but a weak one post-wise any little thing that could offend what posters you DO have. You need to keep it more inviting to post, and get those lurkers to come say 'Hi', and find out that the waters are fine. We're doing our best as members, so I ask you to do yours. Help us get those voices on here. It makes it more fun! Not that the good folks here aren't a barrel full of monkeys. Well, they are, but they aren't monkeys, and they aren't in a barrel, far as I know. Unless the forum is round in shape, made of wood, and bulges in the center with two caps on it, and I'll tell ya, I'm not sure that would surprise me. I'd start to question my genealogy...

Did I digress? Yes, it seems I have... What have I covered... Unread topics (threads), likes (thumbs), possibly merging topics, hmmmm.

Yeah, I think that's enough to get the juices flowing a bit. Be sure to be in a tub or vat when they do, as I don't want to have to skip around puddles to read here. I hope my levity doesn't undercut my opinion I've shared here. I like it when people are on their toes, but not in puddles. Does that make sense? Heheh.

Have a good one, folks. Thanks for taking the time to read. The Natural isn't a truth. 'Build it, and they will come.' I think it's more along the lines of, 'Make it easy or intuitive, and they will come.' You have excellent readership here, and some really fun folks posting. I'm just lil' old me trying to help. Get more of those lurkers on board, and I think it will be profitable on more fronts than just the diversity of good folks here posting.

Whew! You made it through reading! Good job, folks! I'm long winded, heheheh.

4/20/2012 2:02:18 AM

creamchz3@aol.com
creamchz3@aol.com
Yeah! What he said! CC

4/25/2012 11:41:00 AM

admin
admin
Administrator
Thank you very much for the thoughtful suggestions. Though we might not always respond immediately, please know that we absolutely read and take into consideration all the feedback and comments shared on this forum.

We have deleted the rating option based on numerous user comments. We hope this helps maintain a constructive forum environment.

Some of the technical issues, such as the number of unread topics and background colors, were a result of a recent software upgrade. We're trying our best to look into these issues but they may not be immediately fixable. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

We appreciate everyone's feedback and help with continually improving the Solver's Forum!

Best,

Admin

4/25/2012 12:28:27 PM

Frances
Frances
Dear Admin,
Thank you so much for your informative post! It's good to know our opinions about the forum are being noticed. Here's one: Why don't you and the editors get avatars? They can be unique to each user(s), or maybe all the same---like that little blue checkerboard thingy. Would make you guys stand out, as in "Important person answering question"! smile

Frances.

4/25/2012 12:57:49 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
Admin,

Thank you for listening to us and taking our opinions and feedback into consideration! smile I LOVE your puzzles and being able to come here and discuss them with fellow puzzle fanatics!! Thank you for providing this forum so we can do that!

I agree with Frances, I think it would be neat if you guys had avatars!!
edited by Purple Pisces on 4/25/2012

4/17/2013 12:41:11 PM

Sewknitcro
Sewknitcro
Hi, This is my first time in the forum and I hope I am in the correct place.

This note is to Penny Press.

I love to get your Slected Puzzles booklets. Especially - Flower Power, Anagram Magic Squares, Quotefalls, Match Up, Shadow, these are the ones I usually get.

Would you PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, add WHEELS, SPLIT and SPLICE, ELEVATORS and BULL'S EYE SPIRAL to your Selected Puzzles booklets. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE doing these puzzles. You put very few of these puzzles or hardly ever put them in your Variety Puzzles booklets.

I would thank you very much if you can make this happen !!!!!!!

4/17/2013 2:05:23 PM

Frances
Frances
Hi Sewknitcro,

Welcome to the forum! Did you make a typo and mean Escalators instead of Elevators? We've had numerous requests for a book of Escalators (or its Dell equivalent, Laddergrams) here on the forum. These puzzles are among my favorites, too. If enough people ask for them, then maybe someday.......

Frances.

4/17/2013 9:29:06 PM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
To the original poster (a "guest" whom many of us know from the past) who thinks it's weird that the top of the screen claims 576 posts unread: yeah, mine are supposedly 708 at this point. I've learned not to pay attention to the so-called number of posts unread, but to ask for posts to come out in backwards chronological order, and then I can look at the last day, or last several days, as the case may be. New people would find it overwhelming, though, to see they have umpteen hundred posts unread. In their case it would probably be a true number, but not for long, as they get curious and start reading up on all the old posts. Don't know if the admins can fix this weirdness (it's been around for a year or longer, by now, hasn't it?) but would be neat if they could.

--
Amy

4/17/2013 9:31:31 PM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
Oh, no, I was trying to edit my post above, and I couldn't see which underline I was hitting so I must have hit something called "report something or other," and suddenly I saw "it was reported." I don't know if I reported something about myself, or about the original poster, but I didn't mean it on either of us.

I was trying to edit the post just above, to read "screen claims 576 TOPICS unread" instead of "...576 POSTS unread..." but at this point I'll just reply to my own post as a way to edit it! No more hitting the wrong button!

--
Amy

4/18/2013 4:26:01 AM

creamchz3@aol.com
creamchz3@aol.com
Who was that mysterious guest? Unread posts? I'm at 699 but it's been screwed up sooooo long I don't even notice it anymore. I don't think I'd notice if they did fix it. CC

4/18/2013 11:06:38 AM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
The guest is TDHO.

--
Amy

4/19/2013 4:23:33 PM

Puzzlebee
Puzzlebee
Dear Penny Press, I am making a plea for the creation of 2 new selected puzzle titles: Daisys and Missing Dominoes. These puzzles I solve all the time in your Variety Puzzle - any title. Please make a special book for each one!!!!!! Thank you..

4/19/2013 4:54:42 PM

Puzzlebee
Puzzlebee
Also Penny Press, I forgot. Please create a selected puzzle book for Deduction problems. I have a hard time with logic problems but find that deduction problems deal with a little less info whereas my mind can cope with following the clues..THANKS!!!!!

4/19/2013 6:42:31 PM

Frances
Frances
Hi Puzzlebee,

I like your ideas of having Selected Puzzles series of Missing Dominoes and Deduction problems. The various domino puzzles are lots of fun, and Missing Dominoes is one of my favorites. It would be neat also for a book of Deduction Problems, kind of a "Logics, Jr." series, for a more relaxing solve of logic problems that don't take as long to work as regular logics. (Plus no grids or tables.) I'm glad you posted!

Another idea is to have themed Selected Puzzles books. Such as all the domino puzzles in one book, or all full-page cryptic types (other than Crypto-Families) like Crypto-Botany, Crypto-Trivia, etc. together. Can anyone else think of a Selected book with a theme?

Frances.

4/19/2013 8:23:34 PM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
Hey, everyone, now that someone else likes that avatar of the young woman with the black hair, as much as I do, I thought I'd put my real picture on as my avatar, so we don't get confused between who's posting. Puzzlebee, I like your choice of pre-designated avatars. Welcome to the forum.

--
Amy

4/20/2013 11:17:02 AM

creamchz3@aol.com
creamchz3@aol.com
Amy Lowenstein wrote:
Hey, everyone, now that someone else likes that avatar of the young woman with the black hair, as much as I do, I thought I'd put my real picture on as my avatar, so we don't get confused between who's posting. Puzzlebee, I like your choice of pre-designated avatars. Welcome to the forum.

I don't know if I can get used to this. It's going to take awhile for me to get used to the fact that isn't your avatar Amy. Also, I knew it was TDHO, again I was being sarcastic. I still miss him on THIS forum but it's good to know I can talk to him on another. I hope you all get your puzzle books you want but as you all know it could take awhile. Well, you won't get it if you don't ask! CC

Home » Your Opinion » My Opinion