Solver's Forum
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Math and Logic Problem Exchange » LLM&LP September 2012 Logic Problem 8

Logic Problem fans, discuss solutions and get solving help.
7/12/2012 10:04:48 PM

wa4lrm
wa4lrm
The Logic Problem on September 2012 issue of Logic Lover's Math $ Logic Problems either has missing clue or has series of assumption that was not written on answer. The answer say Vicki is Max Blake sister and Michelle is Jesse Olsen sister. There is no proof for Blake and Olsen whether Blake is on right side or left side of Olsen. Also Vicki might be Danny Walsh sister. I don't see any clue for those other possibility and I think it has to be a missing clue. Have any of you have this kind of problem?

7/14/2012 12:30:50 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
Hi wa4lrm,

I was able to solve this puzzle correctly without making any assumptions. I've been scanning over the puzzle trying to "resolve" it to help you along. It may take a little bit of time but I will definitely be happy to help you out! smile Have you filled in all the other boxes except those mentioned above?

7/14/2012 6:13:11 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
I'm back!

Clue #4 tells us that Lisa is Tim Tyler's sister because she is the only one who's sign didn't have a yellow stripe.

Knowing that Michelle can't be in position 5 and that she didn't use the color green, her only possibilities are Blake or Olsen (position 2 or 3). Vicki is left of Michelle (clue # 4) so she can only be either Harris or Blake (position 1 or 2).

Clue #8 says that Lucky's owner (Olsen) has a sister who didn't wear turquoise. This rules out Darcy as being Olsen (clue #6). The only possibilities left for Darcy are Harris, Blake and Walsh.

Clue #9 says that no girl wearing tan (Darcy clue #6) used red paint. This eliminates Blake and Walsh, leaving Darcy to be Cal Harris' sister.

Since Darcy is Harris, this means Vicki has to be Blake and Michelle has to be Olsen.

I hope this explanation helps you out! If you need any more help just let me know! smile

7/15/2012 11:07:09 AM

wa4lrm
wa4lrm
The confusing turn out that the order from Logic Problem 7 on top winner on Logic Problem 8 was not same. Some of other logic problem top prize winners is not does not necessarily follow the order.

7/15/2012 1:16:19 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
It certainly can be confusing when having to work between two different logic problems! When I was solving Logic Problem 8 I would often times makes notes in reference to the order (1st, 2nd, ....) as opposed to the last name. Once I had my choices narrowed down I would then look at the last names. Whenever a last name was used as part of a clue I would pencil in above it the order that person came in, this helped me from having to flip-flop between the pages.

Home » Math and Logic Problem Exchange » LLM&LP September 2012 Logic Problem 8