Solver's Forum
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Math and Logic Problem Exchange » Penny Press Original Logic Problem August 2012 #28

Logic Problem fans, discuss solutions and get solving help.
7/15/2012 1:36:43 PM

Smalls aka Erin
Smalls aka Erin
I'm having a lot of trouble with Logic Problem #28 from the Penny Press Original Logic Problems August 2012 issue. It is titled "Reach For The Stars." I have gone over and over and over it and am stuck. I'm wondering if there is enough information given. Please help. I do not want the answers, just if this is definitely solvable and has no errors. Thanks. smile

--
Smalls smile

7/16/2012 1:14:19 AM

creamchz3@aol.com
creamchz3@aol.com
Hi smalls, I guess all the Logic Puzzlers stepped out. I'm not one of them but I didn't want you to think you were being ignored being a newbe and all. By the way, welcome. Lot's of regular Logic Puzzlers on the forum and I'm sure one or twenty will get right back to you. I do see that there are more errors in those puzzles than any other, they are pretty involved which is why they just give me a headache. That and I'm just not any good at them. There are a lot of people that are though, I'm sure they will get back to you. Again, welcome! CC

7/16/2012 1:11:22 PM

Smalls aka Erin
Smalls aka Erin
Thanks!! smile

--
Smalls smile

7/16/2012 1:39:48 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
Welcome smalls! I love solving logic problems and would love to help, but unfortunately I don't have that issue. I dont know if you want to post the clues (if you don't I don't blame you), but I'm sure someone will post an answer for you soon! smile

7/16/2012 2:44:48 PM

Smalls aka Erin
Smalls aka Erin
Thank you! This does have a graph, but I'm not good at making those. However, if you need the graph, I can try to figure out how to make one and put it on here. Thanks so much!!

REACH FOR THE STARS (Logic Problem #28)
Thanks to the World Cup Games, enthusiasm toward soccer has continued to grow in the United States. Now, even semi-pro farm clubs, such as the Kalamazoo Kickers, search the golbe for the best recruits they can find. The Kickers are fortunate to have signed a new star player (including Guillermo) for each of the past five seasons (2007 through 2011), each of whom hails from a different South American country (including Peru). The team's goal-oriented recruitment policy has certainly scored points with the fans--as they kick off the new season, attendance at their games is up over 50 percent! From the information provided, can you identify the home country of each Kickers star (identified by first and last names -- one surname is Cruz), as well as the year in which he signed with the team?
1. The one surnamed Lopez signed with the team at some point after the player from Uruguay, who isn't the one surnamed Allende.
2. The one surnamed Braga joined the team the year after Jaime (whose last name isn't Tiant), who signed the year after the player surnamed Allende.
3. Pablo signed with the Kickers the year after the player surnamed Tiant, who was recruited the year after the player from Argentina.
4. The player from Chile isn't the team's most recent recruit.
5. Marcel was signed exactly two years after Luis but the year before the Columbian player.
Ok, taken from the chart:
FIRST NAME:
Guillermo
Jaime
Luis
Marcel
Pablo
Columbia
Peru
Uruguay
Year:

--
Smalls smile

7/16/2012 3:57:44 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
Thanks for posting the info! I was able to print a blank grid right from the website so I'm all set there. Will let you know how I make out! smile

7/16/2012 4:29:47 PM

Smalls aka Erin
Smalls aka Erin
I'm so sorry. . . I forgot one part . ... the last names.
Last names are:
Allende
Braga
Cruz
Lopez
Tiant
So, to be determined are: First Name, Last Name, Country, Year.

Sorry about that.

--
Smalls smile

7/16/2012 8:43:04 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
No worries, I got the last names from the intro and the clues! This was a toughie, but I did manage to solve it. Without giving any answers let me just say that it took a little bit of the "if this, then that" type of logic. If you want me to narrow it down for you let me know. smile

7/16/2012 9:12:36 PM

Smalls aka Erin
Smalls aka Erin
Ok, great! You must be pretty sharp. I've been working on it for days I'll start over with trial and error and let you know. Thanks again!!! smile

--
Smalls smile

7/17/2012 1:26:18 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
Your welcome and thanks for the compliment but it just luck that I found the opening I needed!

7/18/2012 1:00:01 AM

Smalls aka Erin
Smalls aka Erin
Well, I did get it worked out last night. That being said . . . I still got it wrong. I miscalculated somewhere. I was just surprised that this one was as difficult as it was, being number 28. Usually in the Original Logic Problems book, they seem to start out easy and get harder as they go along. I usually don't have much trouble until getting on into the 40s or so, lol. Thanks a lot, though!! I know who to ask next time I run into one. smile Think I'm gonna attempt the Who Dunits next.

--
Smalls smile

7/18/2012 9:31:35 AM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
I get a different logic subscription, so I didn't have this Reach for the Stars problem. But it sounds interesting, so I copied the wording for myself and am working on it. No matter what way the editors print the grid, I usually make my own grid that has the years as the main column. That way, things go in chronological order for me, and it makes it easier for me to solve. (In fact, once in a while there is a puzzle where they don't even put, say, the "calendar of events" anywhere on the grid, so I make my own "calendar" to figure out who did what, when, and THEN I transpose my solution to the way the editors' grid or table looks.) If I have trouble with Reach for the Stars in the next week or so, I'll get in touch with you two privately.

--
Amy

7/18/2012 7:59:36 PM

Smalls aka Erin
Smalls aka Erin
Good idea. Let me know if you get it correctly (I guess the answers are on a website). It was pretty tough for me (and I still got it wrong); but might be easier for others. smile

--
Smalls smile

7/18/2012 10:06:58 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
I might have it wrong too, but when checking my answers back against the clues they seem to fit. After Amy posts, if you both want I'll post mine and the spot where I found my opening to finish solving.

7/18/2012 10:35:10 PM

Smalls aka Erin
Smalls aka Erin
Oh, ok. After that, I'll post the answers from the book.

--
Smalls smile

7/24/2012 5:44:10 PM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
Please post those answers to us privately, so nobody else's fun will be spoiled if they see the problem here on the forum and decide to work on it. I just posted privately to both Smalls and Purple Pisces the answer I came up with by making a grid that made the years be the first column.

--
Amy

7/25/2012 12:21:03 AM

Smalls aka Erin
Smalls aka Erin
Ok. I sent Amy and Purple private messages with the correct answers from the book. That was fun. Look forward to more challenges. Don't know many people who like logic problems, lol, so I like coming on this site. I wish there were more here. smile smalls

--
Smalls smile

7/25/2012 1:46:56 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
Thanks again smalls for sending the solution! I know what you mean, the only people I've "met" who like logic problems have been on here. My dad enjoys the Fill-ins and an occasional crossword, but wasn't interested when I showed him a logic problem. I love them!!

Home » Math and Logic Problem Exchange » Penny Press Original Logic Problem August 2012 #28