Solver's Forum
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Math and Logic Problem Exchange » Penny Press Variety Puzzles August 2012 Logic Prob

Logic Problem fans, discuss solutions and get solving help.
7/22/2012 5:52:42 PM

bookish
bookish
Penny Press Variety Puzzles March 2012 Logic Problem #2 Breakfast of Champions

Davie and his four siblings are very particular as to their choices of breakfast cereal- each has a different kind that he or she prefers over all others. Each one of these cereals coats a different amount ($2.65 , $2.90, $3.35, $3.50, $3.65), but the children’s parents indulge them because of the fun they have playing with the different prize that comes with each cereal. From the information provided, can you determine each child’s favorite cereal (one is Berry Bran Crisps), the cost of each box, and the prize each one contains.

1.The Raisin Nut Flakes cost less than the cereal with cartoon stickers as a prize.

2. Joel’s cereal costs more than Polly’s but less than the Chocolate Critters.

3. Fran’s cereal costs less than the one that comes with a glow-in-the-dark insect but more than the one that comes with a minicar-toy prize.

4. Ben’s cereal costs more than Fran’s but less than the Frosted O’s (which cost’s less than the cereal that contains baseball cards as a prize.

5.Three kinds of cereal are Oatmeal Toasties, the one that costs $2.90, and the one that comes with a windup-toy prize.

I am having a problem with #5 clue: “Three kinds of cereal are Oatmeal Toasties”????? WTH?????

The cereals listed are:
Berry Bran Crisps
Chocolate Critters
Frosted O’s
Oatmeal Toasties
Raisin Nut Flakes

Here is the blank answer chart given for the puzzle. On the answer page, it list’s a different cereal for each person. So I ask, what does “Three kinds of cereal are Oatmeal Toasties” mean??????

Again, on the answers page, 5 different cereals are listed. Not Oatmeal Toasties listed 3 times.

CHILD
CEREAL
COST
PRIZE

Furthermore, in clue #5 it says “one is this” and “one is that”. Shouldn’t it say one is this, one is that, AND one is this? 1+1+1 =3… No part of this clue makes sense.

So frustrated by this. If clue #5 is a misprint, then that is understandable, to a certain degree. But if it is deliberately put in to mess with your head, then it was a success as I am so very frustrated.

For anyone interested in solving this with or without clue #5, here are the rest of the details. I didn’t even attempt it. If I cannot fully understand the clues, then I am not even trying. Some of these puzzles take a considerable amount of time that I would rather not waste on a misprint….

If this proves to be a horrible misprint, I would like an application for employment…

CHILD
Ben
Davie
Fran
Joel
Polly

CEREAL
Berry Bran Crisps
Chocolate Critters
Frosted O’s
Oatmeal Toasties
Raisin Nut Flakes

COST
$2.65
$2.90
$3.35
$3.50
$3.65

PRIZE
Baseball Cards
Cartoon Stickers
Glow insect
Minicar
Windup Toy
edited by bookish on 7/22/2012

7/22/2012 6:18:44 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
Hi bookish,

From reading clue #5 I take it to mean that 3 different cereals are Oatmeal Toasties, the one that costs $2.90, and the one that has a wind-up toy prize. What this clue tells us is that Oatmeal Toasties doesn't cost $2.90, and isn't the cereal that contains the wind-up toy, and it also tells us that the cereal that contains the wind-up toy does not cost $2.90. Hope that helps! smile

7/24/2012 2:25:04 PM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
Yes,they often give a clue that says, in effect, "Three of the Something-or-Others are something dealing with category 1 [say the cost], another completely different one dealing with category 2 [say the toy that comes in the cereal box] and a different category [say the title of the cereal]." It's not just this cereal puzzle; it's a lot of puzzles.

Sometimes there will be an "easier" type clue, such as "Between John and Mary, one if the blond and one is the redhead." Sometimes, even a clue about 2 different "whatevers" (such as the people John and Mary) gets a little more complicated, such as "Between John and Mary, one is the redhead and one is the one whose plane went to Boston." This type of clue mentions 3 different "categories," if you will (people's names, hair colors, and trip destinations).

So the 5th clue in the cereal puzzle not only has 3 categories, it mentions 3 different cereals.

Thanks for putting this puzzle onto the forum, Bookish. I think I'll try it.

--
Amy

7/24/2012 6:13:53 PM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
I'm not sure if this is from August or from March, but thanks for putting the whole puzzle down, Bookish. I was able to work on it, and I think I have an answer. The way I worked on it was mostly to compare prices to see what was less than the next thing. I often make little notations in pencil by the clues, changing everything to be in one direction (so when they mention that something cost MORE than something but LESS than something else, I just put all 3 down with the smallest first and the largest last). If another clue says one thing is less than another, it's easy for me to make my little markings. If another clue, however, says something is MORE than something else, I put the smaller one first and the larger one last, and then when I look at all my marked-up clues, they all go in the same direction.

This one didn't seem particularly hard. The ones I often find the hardest, are when there are two categories that have the same types of items in them (such as, people who leave one city to go to another city, and then others leave a different city that someone is going to, and go to a different city that someone else came from).

--
Amy

Home » Math and Logic Problem Exchange » Penny Press Variety Puzzles August 2012 Logic Prob