Solver's Forum
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Fill-In Area » Timing

Share your strategies and get solving help.
7/24/2012 7:21:54 PM

Indiana Puzzler
Indiana Puzzler
I have taken to timing myself when I do fill-ins. I also tally any mistakes I make. I was wondering what the average solve time for a PP fill-in would be. It would be cool to see this in the mags, similar to the expert Frameworks. Thanks!

Indiana Puzzler.

7/24/2012 9:10:03 PM

creamchz3@aol.com
creamchz3@aol.com
I'm kind of glad they don't. I think I'd feel like a total idiot if they did. I like to THINK I'm doing them quickly, if I found out differently I may not like to do them as much as I do. CC

7/25/2012 12:18:54 AM

Frances
Frances
Hi IN_Puzzler,
After reading your post, I thought I'd time myself on a couple of Fill-In puzzles. A 13 x 13 puzzle with one word already entered, took me 7 minutes. A 19 x 19 puzzle with no help given took me 24 minutes. What are some of your times?
Frances.
P.S. Penny Press used to have a Tick Tock Fill-Ins magazine, for those who like to time themselves, but I never saw one.

7/25/2012 7:41:36 AM

Indiana Puzzler
Indiana Puzzler
Wow, you're a bit faster than I am! I did some of the 13x13 with one answer filled in. My times have ranged from 10 to 18 minutes. I have to say I was doing them with the kids around and got distracted on the 18 minute one.

Timing is a good tool to keep tabs of performance over time. Some puzzles are good for it and others are better savored over time, right?

7/25/2012 10:01:42 AM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
I'll agree with that, Indiana, that some puzzles are better savored over the course of time. I don't think I've ever timed myself on logic puzzles, especially because some of them can take "forever." When it comes to Codewords, though, I've sometimes done them in 15 minutes, and occasionally it will take longer if there are too many possibilities for the Q. But if I zip thru them all, I run out of Codewords pretty quickly and have to order more magazines.

--
Amy

7/25/2012 2:15:20 PM

Frances
Frances
IN_Puzzler wrote:
Some puzzles are good for it and others are better savored over time, right?

I agree, too! I like to do most of my puzzling at a leisurely pace and don't give too much thought to speed. But after test-solving (without much lingering) all the frameworks I've constructed, maybe it's made me a bit speedy with fit-the-words-in types of puzzles. Plus I didn't have any distractions. By the way, if I wasn't constructing, I'd take Penny Press up on their invitation to try to be a test-solver. It sounds like fun and I like things to be "right." smile

Home » Fill-In Area » Timing