Solver's Forum
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Math and Logic Problem Exchange » Logic Prob 1 Race Day- PennyPress Variety Aug 2012

Logic Problem fans, discuss solutions and get solving help.
8/8/2012 9:05:21 AM

Smalls aka Erin
Smalls aka Erin
Okay, experts. Stuck again (imagine that . . . ha). I worked on this for a few days before giving up and posting here. I don't want the answers yet but want to see if ya'll can solve it. Again, this is one I thought would be fairly easy for me since it is the first logic problem in the Variety Puzzles book. I have gone over and over and over the clues and have done trial and error two or three different ways (which I only do as a last resort), and each way I try is not working out. I have also gone over what I have so far and I think that part is correct. So here's the puzzle. I never look in the back of the book until I'm done, and I hate giving up, so just let me know if you can solve it and maybe give me a clue if you do. I'm going to do a new post beneath this for the actual logic problem. Good luck, and please let me know. If I could just figure out one more thing, I think the rest of the puzzle will work itself out. Here it is on next post. Thanks!

Smalls smile

--
Smalls smile

8/8/2012 9:15:13 AM

Smalls aka Erin
Smalls aka Erin
Note: This does have a grid, but as you all know, I can't post grids well. Left side going down in order: Person, Speed in MPH, Feature. Left side top going across in order: Amusement Center, Special Feature, Speed in MPH.
If you can work it out, just give me a clue and I'll try one more time. After that, I will look up the answers to see if I got it correct and also send you all the answers if you need them. Good luck:

RACE DAY (Logic Problem 1 - Penny Press Variety Games & Puzzles - August 2012) (I refuse to guess at answers when I'm stuck, lol):
The latest revival of a 1960s craze is racing miniature plastic cars called slot cars, and most amusement centers have installed slot-car racing tracks to accommodate demand. Last Saturday, each of five friends tried out the track at a different local amusement center (one is Gameland) and then met the others at a local diner to compare notes. Each amusement center's track has a different special feature (one is a cloverleaf), and each car was able to attain a speed comparable to its life-sized equivalent (no two attained the same speed -- 320, 340, 360, 380, or 400 mph at scale). From the information provided, can you determine the amusement center each person visited, the special feature at each track, and the speed in miles per hour at scale each slot car reached?

Clues:

1. The one who tried the track with the loop reached a speed of 320 miles per hour at scale. Ursula got her slot car to go 400 miles per hour at scale. Ursula got her slot car to go 400 miles per hour at scale.

2. Wendy tried the track with the figure eight (which isn't the feature at Amuse Yourself). Wendy's slot car was exactly 20 miles per hour slower than the slot car at Sam's Game.

3. Vince's slot car went exactly 20 miles per hour slower than the one on the track with the jump ramp (which isn't at Play the Game).

4. Tamara's slot car went exacctly 20 miles per hour slower than the slot car on the Gymboree track (which forms a cross at one point where the slot-car operators have to avoid collision).

5. Tamara went to Play the Game. Steve isn't the one who went to Amuse Yourself.

SCROLL DOWN FOR NAMES, ETC.

People are:
Steve
Tamara
Ursula
Vince
Wendy

Speed in MPH:

Feature:
Cloverleaf
Cross
Figure Eight
Jump Ramp
Loop

******That's all of it.********* smile

Smalls

--
Smalls smile

8/8/2012 10:29:21 AM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
I solved it. I made a 5x4 grid (even though you seem to have forgotten to give us the names of the amusement centers -- I found them in the body of the clues and introduction). I'll also note that you gave us the last sentence of Clue 1, twice, but that's no big deal.

I made myself a few of what I call "speed lines." I made one, based on Clue 2, which goes in my abbreviated short-hand:

Wendy, Sam's Game

Then Clue 3 got me Vince, Jump Ramp

Then Clue 4 got me Tamara, Gymboree (cross)

The combination of Clues 2 and 3 told me that Sam's Game doesn't have the Jump Ramp (because if Wendy can't be Vince, then whatever is exactly 20 more than Wendy, can't be the same as whatever is 20 more than Vince).

I also knew what feature was NOT Ursula's, because of Ursula's speed in Clue 1, and the Loop speed in Clue 1.

If this doesn't help you solve it, write me privately and let me know how far you've gotten and where you're bogged down. Maybe I can give you a private hint.

--
Amy

8/8/2012 11:29:02 AM

Frances
Frances
I also solved it. Erin, were you able to discover where Wendy went? The four places she couldn't have gone are given in clues 2, 4 and 5.

8/8/2012 3:27:31 PM

Smalls aka Erin
Smalls aka Erin
Amy, they didn't list the amusement parks . . . I typed the whole problem. Also, you got Sam's Game for Wendy, and I have Gameland for Wendy, with feature Figure Eight. Frances, Wendy is one of the ones I don't have MPH. I already eliminated 320 and 400. I may have to start over though and also look at those clues because Amy has a differrent Amusement Center answer for Wendy than I do, and I am willing to bet 5 to 1 that I am wrong and Amy is probably right; but I can't look at all the answers before trying this one more time to see. smile Thanks! Gonna try it again tonight.

--
Smalls smile

8/8/2012 3:56:16 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
I also got Gameland for Wendy! Clue #2 states that Wendy's car is 20 mph slower than the car at Sam's Place.

I use the same technique as Amy regarding the "speed lines". If there's a clue where the subjects are a set distance from each other, and there are other clues with a similar set distance, it's a good way to be able to rule out some possibilities.

8/8/2012 4:07:20 PM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
Erin, I guess you misunderstood my quick code. When I put X, Y (that is, one thing, then a comma, then another thing) it's my short-hand for "X is the next thing down from Y on the 'scale'" if you see what I mean. My shorthand did NOT mean that Wendy had anything to do with Sam's Place. My shorthand meant Wendy was the next thing down from Sam's Place, a/k/a Sam's Place was the next thing up from Wendy. Sometimes there are clues that make it ambiguous how far up or down one thing is from another (such as "Y was SOME TIME later than X" as opposed to "Y was IMMEDIATELY after X). In situations like that, I make my little self-clue read "X ... Y" meaning X is less than (or earlier than, or whatever) Y but I don't know by how much. My comma symbol means exactly the next thing higher on the line, if you will, and my ellipsis symbol (which didn't come into play in this particular problem, but it does very often in other problems) means "somewhere higher" but unknown how much.

--
Amy

8/8/2012 6:10:35 PM

Frances
Frances
Hi Erin,
You're right that Wendy is Gameland. Don't worry about Wendy's speed yet. Next, Sam's Game has what special feature? Well, not figure eight as you already know that's Gameland/Wendy (Clue 2). Not cross, that's Gymboree (Clue 4). Loop? Clue 1 says loop is 320, the slowest, but Clue 2 says Wendy went slower than Sam's Game. So can Sam's be loop, the slowest?

And now what Amy and Purple have been describing, if:

Wendy is 20 slower than Sam's Game and
Vincent is 20 slower than jump ramp then since
Wendy can't be Vincent
can Sam's Game be jump ramp?

The answer to this will give you also which special features go with Amuse Yourself and Play the Game. Now, are you more, or less confused? smile

Frances.

8/8/2012 9:07:14 PM

Smalls aka Erin
Smalls aka Erin
Thanks all. Sorry I did misread your clues Amy. The clues from Amy and Frances are going to help out, I think. I'm fixing to get started on it. Thing is, I absolutely love doing logic problems (NOT math ones, though). I consider myself pretty good at them but can't do the really challenging ones. I do NOT have a logical mind and am horrible at math, so I do get stuck and confused a lot, even though I've been doing these on and off for several years. I don't know why I like them so much since I hate math and, like I said, am not a logical thinker, lol. . . but I do . . . so that's another reason I'm glad I found this board because if I get stuck I can get help and also, it's really nice to have a few people to talk about logic problems with because nobody I know of as far as my friends go really do them. smile Thanks again for all of your help. I promise I will msg the answers as soon as I get this one, whether it's right or wrong. smile

--
Smalls smile

8/8/2012 9:37:22 PM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
OK, great, looking forward to getting a private message from you at some point. I'll message you back if you and I will have gotten the same answer, or different answers.

--
Amy

8/8/2012 9:41:01 PM

Smalls aka Erin
Smalls aka Erin
Well, some point isn't too far away afterall. UGHHHHHH!! I give up. There has to be something I'm not picking up. I finally made a guess out of two, which filled most of it out but it was apparently the wrong guess. My paper on my graph in the puzzle book is starting to tear because I've erased so much, ha. So, anyway, I'm messaging all of you the answers and am going to go finish (hopefully) the Who Dunnit in my Logic Problems magazine. Thanks again!! smile

--
Smalls smile

Home » Math and Logic Problem Exchange » Logic Prob 1 Race Day- PennyPress Variety Aug 2012