Solver's Forum
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Word Search & Fill-In Corner » Tangleword vs. Places please

Solvers helping solvers; get help.
8/10/2012 10:04:25 AM

Indiana Puzzler
Indiana Puzzler
I did a buch of places please puzzles over vacation and now I am working in a Dell book that has Tanglewords. I am completely stuck! There a no hints and of course mutliple starting spots for the same letters. Other than trial / error and guessing, does anyone have any advice on how they start Tanglewords?

Thanks, IN_Puzzler

8/14/2012 8:37:12 PM

Sure, man. These are pretty cool. I think the three similar puzzles, Letterboxes, Tanglewords, and Pl,Pl are like jigsaw puzzles, but with words. With Tanglewords/Letterboxes, I start with the outside rows and columns of the grids first. Those are normally, but not always, the easiest places to find where words go. In some cases, though, you have an R starting letter with, say, 6 answers that have 6 letters but no hint letter to place them, so I just leave them alone for a bit. Then, I look for the longest words and try to place them. Eventually, you'll get some filled in and that will help you find where other words fit. For instance, you may solve where an M word fits, and you only have two of them, and two starting places, one of which if now filled. So you look at the other M and see which way the word might fit. Some already filled in or starting letters will block certain columns or rows or diagonals, so you can narrow down your choices. Eventually, you get to a tipping point where half or two thirds is filled and then it's just a matter of the dominoes falling where they should.

Fun puzzles. I enjoy them and solve them among the first that I do. You'll get it. Don't be afraid to screw the pooch and guess wrong either. It'll help you learn.
edited by TheDarkHorseOne on 8/14/2012

11/20/2012 12:38:56 PM

Indiana Puzzler
Indiana Puzzler
I FINALLY SOLVED A TANGLEWORDS(R) WITHOUT A HINT!!

Some puzzling thoughts: I grabbed a puzzle mag on my way to the barber this weekend. It happened to be a PP Family Favorites. While leafing through looking for something to solve, I came across a PLACES PLEASE group that hadn't been solved. I solved 2 while waiting for my turn in the chair. Fast forward to today, lunch break (about 30 minutes or so). I grab my variety mag from my desk and head over to the break area. Sitting down, I realize it is a Dell book, so no PLACES PLEASE (I was looking to keeping my hot streak alive). Ah, but, Dell has TANGLEWORDS(R). OKay, I look over #1,2 and see starts that I struggled on. So I look over to Puzzle #3 and scan the word list and grid. Hmmm. Hmmm. Maybe this goes there, that goes here. I key clue is the presence of a couple of black blocks that isolate 1 or 2 boxes in the grid. Which words are single first letter words? Work those into the grid. Okay, so I start to get on a roll. This here, that there. Ooops a mistake. No big deal, erase. This word works here. Oh that one fits here. So after about 15-20 minutes I have only 4 words left on the list. Bam! Bam! Bam! Puzzle done. No mistakes. Call me hooked. I can't wait to watch the Macy's Parade with the kids and solve at the same time.

PS HAPPY (early) THANKSGIVING TO YOU AND YOURS !

The INDIANA PUZZLERCool

11/20/2012 5:46:06 PM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
We used to go to the Bamberger's parade (they were later bought out by Macy) in Newark in the 1950's. They often had Philadephia Mummers as part of the parade. Later on I moved to Philly and got to see the Mummers on New Year's Day. Now I'm usually too lazy to go 30 miles to Philly and stand out there in the cold, but I watch the string bands on TV, and vote for my favorites in a "people's poll" on Channel 17.

Happy Turkey Day, everyone.

--
Amy

12/9/2015 5:24:44 PM

Kerry
Kerry
Tangle words were so hard then I started a system, I started with the single words, then slowly went to groups of words. So,e I can do with no hint, but sometimes I have to sneak a peak

12/19/2015 2:50:31 PM

Josh
Josh
Tanglewords definitely feels harder to me to get an entry point; you have to work at it a bit more it feels like, but I enjoy both puzzles quite a bit.

Not noted here is Letterboxes, which is effectively Penny Press's variation - anyone notice if one is harder than the other?

5/11/2016 6:32:40 AM

Donald
Donald
Tanglewords are most assuredly the more difficult puzzle out of the three.

10/18/2016 9:24:12 AM

Bernadette1959
Bernadette1959
Josh wrote:
Not noted here is Letterboxes, which is effectively Penny Press's variation - anyone notice if one is harder than the other?

Josh, I just wanted to say that I definitely agree with Donald about Tanglewords being the most difficult of the three similar puzzles. Or maybe I'm just rusty. LOL I've always used the technique mentioned by KerryK - start by trying to place the single words - but even so, this morning I solved my first Tanglewords in quite some time and it took me an hour to finish it. There just seems to be so many more possible paths in Tanglewords than in Places, Please and Letterboxes.
You really have to proceed with caution.

I almost put aside the one this morning, but having started it, I hated to give up. wink

Bernadette
edited by Bernadette1959 on 10/18/2016

Home » Word Search & Fill-In Corner » Tangleword vs. Places please