Solver's Forum
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Variety Central » Cryptoquizzes Record (not that you care?!)

See what other Variety puzzle fans have to say, share your solutions, and get help.
9/11/2012 12:07:10 PM

Indiana Puzzler
Indiana Puzzler
Today at lunch I was able to complete an entire set (6 for 6) of a Cryptoquizzes page. For those who are interested, Dell Official All-Time Favorite Variety Puzzles Dec. 2010. The categories were:
1) Holiday Decorations Example: colored balls
2) Bass and Wind Instruments Example: clarinet
3) Amigos Example: sidekick
4) Put Your Coins In Them Example: trolley car farebox
5) Dean Martin Was A(n) Example: father
6) City Names Ending In "N" Example: Tehran

Now I know to the seasoned puzzler this is nothing of significant importance, but I usually dabble along on cryptoquizzes and complete them as filler, especially when I'm leafing through a book and one'll catch my eye. Rarely do I nail all of them in one sitting like I did today (about 30-40 minutes). The category I had the most trouble with was 4) and 6) but was able to slog through after solving a few letters. 6) was a challenge as there were a lot of the same letters repeated for the easier answers and it took a few minutes of thought to nail down the final city. I have a Penny Select Cryptofamilies volume I bought at home, so maybe 2-nite I'll crack that baby open and take a break from crosswords this evening.

So BRAVO! to me.

In Indianapolis, the IN_Puzzler
edited by IN_Puzzler on 9/11/2012
edited by IN_Puzzler on 9/11/2012

9/11/2012 6:21:31 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
Fast time IN_Puzzler!! I haven't solved any in a while but I do enjoy cryptoquizzes. Where I don't really get the variety books any more I should probably pick up a volume of these. I've never solved a page at a time, but like you described would solve one here and there. These are more difficult for me compared to cryptograms where there are more words, especially the fillers like "and", "it", "to" and "the" to help me along. Plus sometimes the answers might fall a little outside of the box from my normal thinking.
edited by Purple Pisces on 9/11/2012

9/11/2012 10:01:15 PM

I was screwing around with one yesterday... it was _____to_____ Ex: back. First thoughts were coast to coast, and heart to heart. There were 3 five letter answers, possibly 4. It was hurting my brain and I got hungry, so I ate instead. I'm going back to that one sometime soon because it intrigued me, but right now I'm on a cross sums binge!! Good puzzles, Indy. Nice time there.

9/11/2012 11:05:22 PM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
Yeah, great record, Indiana Puzzler, of doing 6 puzzles in one lunch hour. Why did you put that parenthetical "not that you care" in the title of your post? We're all impressed!

--
Amy

9/12/2012 12:19:45 AM

Semipro
Semipro
____ to ____

Hmm. For a third one, mouth to mouth? (Rescue-breathing method.)

9/12/2012 1:33:29 AM

I know, Semi... The possibilities tickle the mind, don't they? It's been bugging me since I left it, heheh.

9/12/2012 7:02:27 AM

Indiana Puzzler
Indiana Puzzler
Amy Lowenstein wrote:
Yeah, great record, Indiana Puzzler, of doing 6 puzzles in one lunch hour. Why did you put that parenthetical "not that you care" in the title of your post? We're all impressed!

I just put that in there to be playful in that its impressive to me but in the over scheme of things, and in light that it was 9/11, it doesn't really matter. That said, I've enjoyed the conversation around my post.

Ended up not cracking open that Penny Select book... I got wrapped up in solving a Word Games puzzle. I couldn't solve the "compound word" category and it was driving me nuts!

9/12/2012 7:11:46 AM

Indiana Puzzler
Indiana Puzzler
I'll tell you, when coded, LONDON and BOSTON are awfully tricky to solve!

9/12/2012 9:49:26 AM

creamchz3@aol.com
creamchz3@aol.com
I was impressed also. Crypto-Families are hard enough for me, cryptoquizzes can be very hard. Great puzzling! CC

9/12/2012 12:27:11 PM

Indiana Puzzler
Indiana Puzzler
Well it was a good streak while it lasted. Puzzles 7-12 were not as easily completed:

7) Old Testament Heroes Example: Abraham - Nailed in a couple of minutes
8) Shopping by Mail: Example: Rush Delivery - took a little bit of time, but got them all after solving CATALOGUE and ADDRESS LABEL
9) Words with "ETI": Example: yuletide. This one took longest chunk of my 30 minutes. I shoved the E-T-I combo pretty quickly through scanning but could not solve NINETIET_ or SECRETI_E. After pondering for about 2 minutes I gave up and moved on to the next quiz
10) Airplane Travel: Example Flight Attendants - nailed pretty quickly after solving "NO SMOKING" and CARRY-ON BAGGAGE
and then with about 5 minutes left I hit the brick wall=======> 11) All about a book: Example: typeface. COULD NOT SEE ANYTHING. The first answer was FPFAG and it may have well been GREEK. I 'll come back to it though.

In INDIANAPOLIS.... IN_Puzzler

9/12/2012 1:31:28 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
After reading CC's post I realized that it was Crypto-Families that I have done, not the Cryptoquizzes. I imagine the Dell version is harder. Even more impressive than I first thought IN_Puzzler! smile

9/12/2012 3:02:45 PM

Indiana Puzzler
Indiana Puzzler
Semipro wrote:
____ to ____

Hmm. For a third one, mouth to mouth? (Rescue-breathing method.)

What about BACK to BACK or were their no 4 letter answers?

9/12/2012 3:16:22 PM

Indiana Puzzler
Indiana Puzzler
Purple Pisces wrote:
After reading CC's post I realized that it was Crypto-Families that I have done, not the Cryptoquizzes. I imagine the Dell version is harder. Even more impressive than I first thought IN_Puzzler! smile

Now that is a good question - are the Dell puzzles harder? For Variety style puzzles, I haven't really seen any difference between Dell and Penny as long as they are not the "easy" level. Crosswords are a different story though. I find Dells to be much richer and rewarding while solving. I ordered a Dell and PP cryptogram books and have worked in and out of both of them without noticing and difference. Thoughts?

9/12/2012 4:43:46 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
I've only ever purchased Penny Press Variety magazines, but for some reason was under the assumption that the Dell books are more difficult. The only real comparison I can make is with the logic puzzles. Maybe it was the star rating that Dell gives the logic puzzles that in my mind may have seemed like they were more difficult but I would say after doing a fair amount from both Penny and Dell that they are about equal. I always thought there was a visual difference between the two with Penny having more pictures which to me would make the puzzle seem more approachable. Just goes to show you can't judge a puzzle by it's appearance. I'm interested to hear other puzzler's opinions.
edited by Purple Pisces on 9/12/2012

9/12/2012 9:36:34 PM

Ninetieth and Secretive looks like they fit.

9/13/2012 2:26:10 AM

Semipro
Semipro
IN_Puzzler sez: "What about BACK to BACK or were their no 4 letter answers?"

(The quote function still isn't working for me.)

DarkHorse's original post said there were three possible 5-letter answers and he had thought of only two, if I understand his post correctly. So I was doing the old head scratch for just the 5s. BACK was the example given. If 4-letter answers are wanted, there's also WALL and HEAD.

Oh, how about CHEEK?

9/13/2012 2:31:24 AM

creamchz3@aol.com
creamchz3@aol.com
I agree with Bernadette, I do Penny Press because I just like the puzzles better. There are a few in Dell I like but not enough to purchase the magazines. (That's what the Select Puzzles are for). There are a few puzzles they both carry but called different names and as far as which is harder I think they're about the same. I also agree that the Dell Crosswords are much more challenging than the Penny Press but I don't do crosswords very often anymore. I also believe Dell has more number puzzles and Penny has more word puzzles, I much prefer the word puzzles which is why I do all Penny Press. CC

9/13/2012 7:03:40 AM

Indiana Puzzler
Indiana Puzzler
Semipro wrote:
IN_Puzzler sez: "What about BACK to BACK or were their no 4 letter answers?"

(The quote function still isn't working for me.)

DarkHorse's original post said there were three possible 5-letter answers and he had thought of only two, if I understand his post correctly. So I was doing the old head scratch for just the 5s. BACK was the example given. If 4-letter answers are wanted, there's also WALL and HEAD.

Oh, how about CHEEK?

Cheek is a good one! I guess back was in my mind from the original post. Cool

9/13/2012 7:06:44 AM

Indiana Puzzler
Indiana Puzzler
TheDarkHorseOne wrote:
Ninetieth and Secretive looks like they fit.

They sure do fit, TDO. This is one of those occasions in which a break from the puzzle was very helpful. They came to me on my drive home yesterday afternoon of all times. It's interesting how I when I am driving things that have stumped me for a while will just pop in my head. Clarity of task?

9/13/2012 7:16:41 AM

Indiana Puzzler
Indiana Puzzler
creamchz3@aol.com wrote:
I agree with Bernadette, I do Penny Press because I just like the puzzles better. There are a few in Dell I like but not enough to purchase the magazines. (That's what the Select Puzzles are for). There are a few puzzles they both carry but called different names and as far as which is harder I think they're about the same. I also agree that the Dell Crosswords are much more challenging than the Penny Press but I don't do crosswords very often anymore. I also believe Dell has more number puzzles and Penny has more word puzzles, I much prefer the word puzzles which is why I do all Penny Press. CC

I tend to get my Variety books in the super discount packs (can't beat 40 books for $25 or so), so I usually work in and out of Dell and PP. I have not noticed any differences other than naming similar puzzles differently (Crostics/ Anacrostics, cryptofamilies / cryptoquizzes, Laddergrams / Escalators, etc). Dell books seem to have more Cross Sums and Sumduko type puzzles. But nothing can beat Penny for those Word Games.

Is there a different editorial team for each "brand"? I subscribe to a magazine (rhymes with "Names") and I find the puzzles in that publication to be significantly more challenging than PP or Dell. My wife has picked me up a few variety puzzle books published by the Greek letter company (who also publish rhymes with "Names') and those books are on par with PP or Dell. They sell those at this discount store in our area for $1. Last night I spent an hour and a half solving a NY Times Friday x-word and only had about 25% of the grid filled in.

Home » Variety Central » Cryptoquizzes Record (not that you care?!)