Solver's Forum
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Variety Central » Cryptoquizzes Record (not that you care?!)

See what other Variety puzzle fans have to say, share your solutions, and get help.
9/18/2012 5:14:09 PM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
Cool, Indiana, both about the puzzling, and that you've been part of this community for 3 months and have broken the 100 barrier on posts.

--
Amy

9/18/2012 6:44:30 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
Hope you're feeling better IN_Puzzler!

9/18/2012 7:22:18 PM

Indiana Puzzler
Indiana Puzzler
Purple Pisces wrote:
Hope you're feeling better IN_Puzzler!

Thanks, much better than 24 hours ago. Some sort of stomach bug that's going around.

9/19/2012 4:24:40 AM

creamchz3@aol.com
creamchz3@aol.com
Amy Lowenstein wrote:
Cool, Indiana, both about the puzzling, and that you've been part of this community for 3 months and have broken the 100 barrier on posts.

I was wondering when you were going to get around to that statistical Amy. I never doubted that you would! CC

9/19/2012 9:43:37 AM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
Writing of which, CC, you don't have far to go to break the 500 barrier.

--
Amy

9/19/2012 11:30:15 PM

creamchz3@aol.com
creamchz3@aol.com
I swear, sometimes I think you can read my mind. I noticed and was thinking about that about ten seconds ago. CC

9/20/2012 10:11:11 AM

Indiana Puzzler
Indiana Puzzler
IN_Puzzler wrote:
I am home sick with the flu today and finally felt well enough to do some puzzling. I worked a Crypto-Families from Penny (Family Variety Puzzles and Games, July 2012) and found it to be on par with respect to difficulty to the Dell puzzles I have done. This one took me about 1 hour to complete all 6 families. The families were as follows:

1) Teacher's Desk Example: Text
2) Use Your Eyes Example: Gaze
3) Fly Away! Example: Zeppelin
4) Drive-in Movies Example: Projector
5) On a Fire Truck Example: Nozzle
6) Animated Movies Example: Toy Story

Nos. 2 and 3 were the most challenging (Glimpse, Stare, Watch, Look, Observe, Witness, Behold, View, See, Scan) // (Dandelion Seed, Ladybug, Soap Bubble, Helicopter, Balloon, Space Shuttle, Boomerang, Hang Glider). For No 3 I was thinking mostly of vehicles so dandelion seed and soap bubble were the challenges. FOr No 2, I just couldn't get anything other than see but after coming back to it I was able to work through them.

So overall, in my experience Crypto-families and Crypto-quizzes seem to be of equal difficulty. The challenge in these puzzles is figuring out the "theme" of the answers. I am relatively new to code breaking puzzles (just started doing them this year). Now I just need to crack Kukuros/cross sums and word math to build up my puzzling "toolbox."

Indiana Puzzlers

OK now this is turning into a full blow addiction. The only puzzles I've solved in addition to my daily crossword and Ken-Ken have been Cryptofamilies and Cryptoquizzes. Ran into a challenging family last night - Nautical Terms. Example: Avast. I'll tell you I stared at it for about 10 minutes and then moved on. I could not get any of them. The difficulty in these puzzles is when you don't have a strong grasp of the subject - you can really struggle to see the codes. I solved First Ladies First Names Example: Dolley in about 2 minutes flat.

IN_Puzzler

9/20/2012 11:20:01 AM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
One interesting thing that I saw on the front cover of an old Penny M&LP issue that I got recently as part of a "good deal" on a variety of logic magazines, is something like "No special knowledge needed to solve these puzzles." Yes, that's true. I worked on one recently, all about naval vessels and the officers aboard them. The puzzle explains in the introduction what the 6 types of officers are, and which officer is higher in rank than another. I wouldn't have known any of that, except to know that an admiral is higher than a lot of other things. (But if not for the introduction, I wouldn't have been positive, for example, which is a higher rank, "Admiral" or "Rear Admiral." Now I know it's "Admiral," the highest rank in the puzzle.)

So if you need special knowledge to solve something, and you don't have it, either you feel as if you're cheating, to look it up on Google or something like that, or you just plain don't solve the puzzle (as would have happened in the pre-Internet era).

--
Amy

9/20/2012 12:14:30 PM

Indiana Puzzler
Indiana Puzzler
Today's crytoquiz solved during lunch:
"Q" Edibles
Example: quark cheese

1. LSRBXO TICCUREO
2. LSOGUQRTTU
3. LSREBO
4. LSURT OMM
5. LSOOEDRGX
6. LSRBA YCOUQ
7. LSUXIM BTUV
8. LSOEOTTO
9. LSREIU BUAO
10. LSREEUN GUTVIE

I can post the answers in another post so they aren't spoiled.

IN_Puzzler

9/20/2012 1:06:37 PM

Frances
Frances
Hi IN_Puzzler,
I finished the cryptoquiz. It was fun, even though I'd never heard of 8, 9, or 10. I had to look them up for their meanings (and one letter of #10). I also hadn't heard of the example, "Quark cheese," which turns out not to be something necessarily served on Deep Space 9 after all. Thanks for posting it!
Frances.

9/20/2012 2:42:04 PM

Indiana Puzzler
Indiana Puzzler
You're welcome, Frances. I stuggled on the last clue too, esp the "N".

IN_Puzzler

9/20/2012 2:42:46 PM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
Back to that "____ to ____" thing, I just thought of another one: Portal to Portal (if it doesn't have to be 5 letters).

--
Amy

9/20/2012 3:31:39 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
Thanks for posting IN_Puzzler! I know more foods that start with "Q" than I thought.

Frances the last 3 were unfamiliar to me as well, and I also had to look up one letter for #10. Looks like our culinary knowledge is on par! smile

9/20/2012 10:33:33 PM

creamchz3@aol.com
creamchz3@aol.com
IN_Puzzler wrote:
"Q" Edibles

1. LSRBXO TICCUREO
2. LSOGUQRTTU
3. LSREBO
4. LSURT OMM
5. LSOOEDRGX
6. LSRBA YCOUQ
7. LSUXIM BTUV
8. LSOEOTTO
9. LSREIU BUAO
10. LSREEUN GUTVIE

I can post the answers in another post so they aren't spoiled.

IN_Puzzler

#2 I'm guessing is quesadilla? CC

9/21/2012 7:12:12 AM

Indiana Puzzler
Indiana Puzzler
creamchz3@aol.com wrote:
IN_Puzzler wrote:
"Q" Edibles

1. QUICHE LORRAINE
2. QUESADILLA
3. QUINCE
4. QUAIL EGG
5. QUEENFISH
6. QUICK BREAD
7. QUAHOG CLAM
8. QUENELLE
9. QUINOA CAKE
10. QUINNAT SALMON

IN_Puzzler

#2 I'm guessing is quesadilla? CC

Frankly, I had not heard of most of these items other than quiche, quesadilla, quail egg, and quick bread. I've heard of quinoa but had no idea how to spell it.

9/21/2012 9:33:51 AM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
I bought some peanuts on line a few months ago. Unasked, they sent me a little bit of quinoa, too. I tried a little bit, raw, but wasn't thrilled with it, so the rest went into the garbage can. So that's about all I know of quinoa.

--
Amy

9/22/2012 1:31:20 AM

Semipro
Semipro
Amy, quinoa is a grain product. You cook it. Raw rice or barley wouldn't be very appetizing, either.

9/22/2012 7:04:50 AM

creamchz3@aol.com
creamchz3@aol.com
Quince is a fruit. Kind of like a fig I believe. CC

9/22/2012 11:55:58 AM

Indiana Puzzler
Indiana Puzzler
Ok, since I have been on a cryptofamilies binge the past couple of weeks, I decided to create my own puzzle and share it here.

Beatles Songs With Two Word Titles
Example: Hey Jude

1) KJHHT OSHJ

2) HIPVJUJ DSH

3) MIDJ QIRJQ
VJU

4) JOJSHIU UBRGT

5) TJOOIP NFGDSUBHJ

6) VJOOI, RIIAGTJ

7) RJQ GSME

8) AST QUBKKJU

9) IMQIKFN’N RSUAJH

10) ROSNN IHBIH

I wrote it up and proofread it, so any error in the song titles or coding are entirely mine and I apologize in advance.

If you would like to private message your answers to me go right ahead. I'll publish the answers in a few days after the answers trickle in (if any).

The Indiana Puzzler
edited by IN_Puzzler on 9/22/2012
edited by IN_Puzzler on 9/22/2012

9/22/2012 6:30:51 PM

Indiana Puzzler
Indiana Puzzler
Hi all, thanks for your feedback proof-reading of my puzzle! I edited it in my original post so it should be correct to all who attempt it now.

IN_Puzzler

Home » Variety Central » Cryptoquizzes Record (not that you care?!)