Solver's Forum
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » General Discussion » Everyone OK on 9-11?

General Discussion.
9/12/2012 2:39:53 AM

I hate the day, but never want to forget it.

I was up early on the west coast, getting ready for my day at work, travelling around the Seattle area proper and making sure stuff was getting done. I had left a message for my employees, then settled in to read some e-mails, have a ciggie, and get ready to go out. The TV was droning in the background, and they said something had crashed into a building in NY. This might sound callous, but I'm from a small metropolitan area, Indy, and we have our rivalries with teams in sports, and with the NBA, one of our major rivals at the time was the Evil NY Brickerbockers. So I casually looked over and thought... Serves them right, living in a big city, with sports on my mind. I'm not proud of that initial thought, but it was one plane, and as far as I knew then, it was a grave accident.

And then they switched over to their national feed, as I got rapt in the broadcast, basically just in time to see the second plane hit the other tower. Guilt for thinking what I had thought turned to grave concern and sort of a vibrating resonance within me. I called and left a different message for my employees. Don't go to work, go home and be with your families. Pray for those in NY. Then I sat on the edge of my seat and I'm not sure I blinked for about three hours. You know when you are watching a horror movie, and there's something in the basement, and you're yelling at the screen, DON'T GO DOWN IN THE BASEMENT!? That was me, except I was screaming futilely for everyone to get out of those buildings. Far as I knew, there were some 50,000 people up there, and I just wanted to will them out of there. It became a mantra of sorts. Please let them get out of there. Please let them get out of there. Please...

And then came the sickening sound and it looked like an octopus of dust materialized on the tower and the weight of it drove the entirety of the building to the ground. My head fell into my hands and I just cried. A disgusted, whimpering cry of despair turned to a long, angry moan. In what seemed like and eternity of minutes, precious seconds, fleeting heartbeats, the second tower was visited by the same malevolent leviathan of whispering, thundering dust, and they were gone. People running. Chaos. Grey ghosts coming out of a fog of hell, dazed. In the grey, the only color the red of fire, damaged emergency vehicles, blood. People, heavier than the confetti of paper, fly on the wings of angels until mother Earth brings them release from agony. Brave souls in uniforms moving toward the danger, up into the danger, taken by the danger. I don't think my soul has stopped crying since.

So, on this day of days every year, I remember. I remember what my soul will not forget. And I relive it, and I weep once again because I never want to forget them. I never want to forget how tortured my heart was that day. I never want to forget the vivid anger I felt through the tears.

The company I worked for luckily lost no one. We had multiples of people in the air, but they all came home. My heart is with those that lost their innocence and family members on that day. I've shed a tear for them all, and I do so every anniversary. Hard as it is, I want to see it all again, and I want to remember. I want NEVER to forget.

God bless them all, those lost, and those who suffered loss. But for the grace of God, it may have been much more than 5000+. He held those towers.

9/12/2012 1:25:22 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
I don't know anyone personally that was affected by 9-11, but it's still hard seeing those images even 11 years later. When the anniversary comes around its almost impossible to watch or read the media without seeing images from that day. I wasn't planning to but ended up watching part of a show yesterday called "The Falling Man". It centered around a photo of a man that had jumped from the towers and they were trying to identify who the man was in the photo. I apologize if this is too graphic for anyone! With all the events that happened on 9-11 those people who made the decision to jump has always affected me the most. I could never imagine having to make a decision like that and any time I think about those poor souls my heart aches for them.

As information about the attacks came out, we learned that two of the terrorists had actually shopped at a Walmart that my family and I have been in. Just felt weird that something that evil could be so close to home.

It's amazing how two little numbers said together can evoke such emotion. Those who lost their lives on that day will forever be in my thoughts and prayers!
edited by Purple Pisces on 9/12/2012

9/16/2012 1:24:55 AM

Purple Pisces wrote:
I don't know anyone personally that was affected by 9-11, but it's still hard seeing those images even 11 years later. When the anniversary comes around its almost impossible to watch or read the media without seeing images from that day. I wasn't planning to but ended up watching part of a show yesterday called "The Falling Man". It centered around a photo of a man that had jumped from the towers and they were trying to identify who the man was in the photo. I apologize if this is too graphic for anyone! With all the events that happened on 9-11 those people who made the decision to jump has always affected me the most. I could never imagine having to make a decision like that and any time I think about those poor souls my heart aches for them.

As information about the attacks came out, we learned that two of the terrorists had actually shopped at a Walmart that my family and I have been in. Just felt weird that something that evil could be so close to home.

It's amazing how two little numbers said together can evoke such emotion. Those who lost their lives on that day will forever be in my thoughts and prayers!
edited by Purple Pisces on 9/12/2012

I appreciate the response, PP. I hurts my heart that once again, American blood was shed on 9-11 overseas. Do we not have a contingency plan for that day? Increased protection? Hard to bear that, and the aftermath we're seeing on that side of the world.

I heard one witness say, about the 'jumpers', that some of them just stepped out, like they were going to tread upon a cloud. Hard to think what drove that action. Heat. Despair. Futility. Makes me angry that someone that just woke up and went to work that day had to come to that sort of decision. Closed eyes. Pray. Resolve. Step...

I'm sorry for putting this here. I'm obviously not over it, even 11 years later. It still hurts me, and I have this weird thing called empathy that forces my mind to think about the victim's circumstance, and the family members that lost them. As I said, I hate the day, and I cry on every anniversary, but I feel obligated to always remember, and watch, and keep those souls in my mind. I don't want them to be alone in the dust. I was witness, and I saw, and I'm here, and I remember.

Crying again.. Sorry. When you see a 3 year old talking to Daddy about how they took the towers away, it's a sharp, hard thing that penetrates a soul.

Not over it, and I think it's good I never will be. It gives me definition and clarity. My fuzzy edges come into sharp contrast once a year. What is self becomes selfless in emotion. Like our country, I find myself not made of stone, and you prick me, I will bleed.

That's a tough lesson.

9/16/2012 7:46:07 AM

creamchz3@aol.com
creamchz3@aol.com
It's when we forget we allow it to happen again. CC

9/16/2012 9:55:43 AM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
I think the towers themselves are no big deal. It's the fact that the towers weren't empty of people when the terrorists drove the planes into the towers! I knew virtually nothing about it that morning, didn't realize they waited until people were there, thought the place was empty, thought it was another symbolic act of theirs, and I thought maybe they'd get it out of their system. Little did I know!

--
Amy

9/16/2012 11:02:01 AM

Bernadette1959
Bernadette1959
TheDarkHorseOne wrote:
I heard one witness say, about the 'jumpers', that some of them just stepped out, like they were going to tread upon a cloud. Hard to think what drove that action. Heat. Despair. Futility. Makes me angry that someone that just woke up and went to work that day had to come to that sort of decision. Closed eyes. Pray. Resolve. Step...

I'm sorry for putting this here. I'm obviously not over it, even 11 years later. It still hurts me, and I have this weird thing called empathy that forces my mind to think about the victim's circumstance, and the family members that lost them. As I said, I hate the day, and I cry on every anniversary, but I feel obligated to always remember, and watch, and keep those souls in my mind. I don't want them to be alone in the dust. I was witness, and I saw, and I'm here, and I remember.

I understand exactly what you are talking about. I do the same thing, thinking about what each of those poor people must have gone through knowing there was no way out. I don't believe anyone could imagine the horror they went through.

Does working on a puzzle help, TDHO? I am so thankful for my love of puzzles as they are definitely a refuge against obsessive thoughts that might otherwise drive us stark raving mad.

9/16/2012 12:41:04 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
Bernadette1959 wrote:

Does working on a puzzle help, TDHO? I am so thankful for my love of puzzles as they are definitely a refuge against obsessive thoughts that might otherwise drive us stark raving mad.

Couldn't of said it better myself Bernadette! One of the many reasons I love puzzles!

TDHO your post about empathy reminds me of something. It's small in comparision to the attacks on 9-11, but when I was in first grade I remember being in my classroom watching the Challenger Shuttle launch, and then unfortunately watched as it exploded right in front of us. I started crying. I remember the teacher asking me if I knew any one on board, and to this day that still seems like an odd question. Regardless of whether I knew any one or not, I had just witnessed 7 people lose their lives. Whenever I would watch a shuttle launch after that I would hold my breath those first few minutes!
edited by Purple Pisces on 9/16/2012

9/18/2012 12:11:16 AM

Bernadette1959 wrote:
TheDarkHorseOne wrote:

I understand exactly what you are talking about. I do the same thing, thinking about what each of those poor people must have gone through knowing there was no way out. I don't believe anyone could imagine the horror they went through.

Talking or writing about it does, Bernie. I don't puzzle through tears very well, and it isn't really an obsession. Unless someone would feel like it's an obsession to not want to forget. I don't go through it daily, just yearly, and I think it would be bad for me as a person if I ever became inured to it, or cynical. Some folks just want to move on, and they day is best forgot. I understand that. I'm mostly human as well. There is a part of me that could do that, but there's a greater part of me that can't allow it to be just another day, because it wasn't, and henceforth, for me, it isn't and never will be. And perhaps that's somehow unhealthy, but I don't care. I don't want to wake up one September 11th and find nothing. Nothing on the news. Nothing about it, because no one cares anymore. I do. I don't want voices that talk of some conspiracy and that it was our government instead of what we witnessed with our own eyes to gain ground. I don't want that history to be rewritten because we witnesses and the family members allow them to do so because it hurts too much, and don't want added pain.

So for me, it's just The Vigil, if you remember my poem. I can't shake every vet's hand, but I make it a point to do so when I do meet a soldier, or vet soldier. Whether they just got home, or are in their twilight years. It's important to me. So, if 9-11 was an act of war, then all parties on our side should be considered vets. Family, victims, and those that fight yesterday and today in this fight.

9/18/2012 12:26:48 AM

Purple Pisces wrote:
Bernadette1959 wrote:

Couldn't of said it better myself Bernadette! One of the many reasons I love puzzles!

TDHO your post about empathy reminds me of something. It's small in comparision to the attacks on 9-11, but when I was in first grade I remember being in my classroom watching the Challenger Shuttle launch, and then unfortunately watched as it exploded right in front of us. I started crying. I remember the teacher asking me if I knew any one on board, and to this day that still seems like an odd question. Regardless of whether I knew any one or not, I had just witnessed 7 people lose their lives. Whenever I would watch a shuttle launch after that I would hold my breath those first few minutes!

That's a sad day for me as well. I saw it like you did. I don't know folks politics here, and I really don't care to because that isn't what I'm here for, but Reagan was the first president I voted for, and his words ring to me to this day about that event.

You can see it here.

****=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEjXjfxoNXM]gEjXjfxoNXM

9/18/2012 12:26:49 AM

Purple Pisces wrote:
Bernadette1959 wrote:

That's a sad day for me as well. I saw it like you did. I don't know folks politics here, and I really don't care to because that isn't what I'm here for, but Reagan was the first president I voted for, and his words ring to me to this day about that event.

You can see it here.

****=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEjXjfxoNXM]gEjXjfxoNXM

9/18/2012 8:07:30 AM

Bernadette1959
Bernadette1959
TheDarkHorseOne wrote:

Talking or writing about it does, Bernie. I don't puzzle through tears very well, and it isn't really an obsession. Unless someone would feel like it's an obsession to not want to forget.

No, that's not what I meant. Having an obsession and having obsessive thoughts can be two different things. By "obsessive thoughts" I simply meant thoughts that a person can't seem to stop thinking and ones that are troubling to them.

Bernadette

9/18/2012 7:08:53 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
Thanks for sharing that link TDHO!! Watching that speech 26 years after the fact and hearing him address the school children was a little eerie. I know my younger self could not have appreciated those words as much as I do today!

9/18/2012 11:08:13 PM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
I didn't see the link, but what was 26 years ago? The terrorist attack was 11 years ago.

--
Amy

9/19/2012 1:34:47 AM

The Challenger tragedy.
edited by TheDarkHorseOne on 9/19/2012

9/19/2012 9:42:34 AM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
But wasn't that on January 28th? Oh, wait, now I remember earlier on this thread, Purple wrote that when that happened, and it made her cry, the teacher assumed she had someone she knew on that shuttle. Apparently the teacher couldn't understand empathy.
edited by Amy-in-PA on 9/19/2012

--
Amy

9/20/2012 12:34:43 AM

Guess what came in the mail today? It's official. I'm a Math and Logic Problems subscriber with my very first issue straight out of my mailbox to my hot, not so little hands. Mark it. The November 2012 is my first. It's got 23 cross sums to add to my 1,200 I got in a bundle, 18 logics, 12 figure logics, 36 word arithmetics I'll probably never do, and wow! 6 jigsaw sudoku which I was just talking about enjoying on another thread!! Awesomeness.

Back when I first joined here, I got a variety pack and lamented that there were so many M&LPs in the bunch. Here I am now as a subscriber. Just goes to show, try new things and new puzzles. Never know what will catch your fancy.

Maybe I'll let PP talk me into giving those 36 word ariths a try...

9/20/2012 12:39:08 AM

I forgot to mention the trigons and sudoku challenger, and the 23rd cross sums is one of those big ones !! Woohoo!! 6 times a year for at least 2 years, baby!

9/20/2012 9:26:13 AM

Bernadette1959
Bernadette1959
TheDarkHorseOne wrote:

Back when I first joined here, I got a variety pack and lamented that there were so many M&LPs in the bunch. Here I am now as a subscriber. Just goes to show, try new things and new puzzles. Never know what will catch your fancy.

This is why I am always so reluctant to throw out my puzzle back issues. Right now I am worrying over a problem that won't be resolved for a while and I'm having a bit of difficulty concentrating on more involved puzzles, so I've been doing some of those little puzzles that appear on the bottoms or side of pages.

Right now I am having a grand time going back through my older issues to find these little "gems", as you once called them: Ramble, Lucky Star, Building Blocks and one I absolutely adore - Honeycomb! smile

It's been a while since I've done a general clean out of my back issues but I don't know when or if I will again. I might inadvertently get rid of a puzzle that I will grow to love sometime on down the line! Instead, I think I might just look into renting one of those storage rooms to put them in! LOL wink
edited by Bernadette1959 on 9/20/2012

Home » General Discussion » Everyone OK on 9-11?