Solver's Forum
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Variety Central » Word Games

See what other Variety puzzle fans have to say, share your solutions, and get help.
9/14/2012 7:15:02 AM

Indiana Puzzler
Indiana Puzzler
Did anyone receive the mailer for the fall puzzle sale this week? There is a deal for 8 Penny Selects for $25 or so and Word Games is one of the choices. I know there are a bunch or Word Games fans out there and this is one of the more under-represented puzzle in the Variety mags. I am debating whether to get it or not, but I've already spent a bunch of $$ on puzzle books this year that should keep me busy for a lifetime.

Indiana Puzzler

9/14/2012 7:26:14 AM

Indiana Puzzler
Indiana Puzzler
After I posted this, I realized I put it under Dell instead of Penny. Ooops.

9/14/2012 9:36:44 AM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
I have set my "bookmark" to look for the "latest posts," no matter which forum they're posted under, so I don't even notice what category my latest readings are in. I don't know if there's a way to shift a post that you accidentally started in one category, to another category. Maybe the editors or administrators can do that, if necessary.

--
Amy

9/15/2012 6:17:23 AM

creamchz3@aol.com
creamchz3@aol.com
I'm like Amy, I do the same thing. I got the Word Games package in case there was anybody who couldn't of guessed. CC

10/4/2012 6:30:51 PM

jennaclark
jennaclark
hey can anyone explain to me how the category letter addition on word games works? I just did one puzzle and i dont understand how 139 equals playwright? PLEASE HELP

10/5/2012 5:26:21 AM

creamchz3@aol.com
creamchz3@aol.com
jennaclark, just let me know where the puzzle is. Wherever it is I've done it and I have it. CC

10/5/2012 9:30:48 AM

jennaclark
jennaclark
Its in volume 15 puzzle 25 of the word game puzzles. Thanks for your help!

10/5/2012 9:31:21 AM

jennaclark
jennaclark
creamchz3@aol.com wrote:
jennaclark, just let me know where the puzzle is. Wherever it is I've done it and I have it. CC

10/5/2012 9:31:48 AM

jennaclark
jennaclark
jennaclark wrote:
creamchz3@aol.com wrote:

10/5/2012 10:55:51 AM

Indiana Puzzler
Indiana Puzzler
I can't even see where the removal of one letter would result in a common phrase (working backwards).

Bernadette1959 wrote:
Jenna, the "Letter Addition" category usually means that you need to insert a letter to make the answer sort of a play on words. For instance:

For the clue CLASS CLOWN, the answer is TEACHER'S PEST. (An "s" is added to Teacher's Pet.)

For the clue A PLEASING ODOR UNTO GOD, the answer would be HEAVEN SCENT. (A "c" is added to Heaven Sent)

Now having given you those examples, I am still scratching my head trying to figure out how the answer to the clue "139" would be PLAYWRIGHT. Maybe CC or another poster might be able to help crack this one? smile

edited by Bernadette1959 on 10/5/2012

10/5/2012 10:58:16 AM

Indiana Puzzler
Indiana Puzzler
I just Googled "139" and think I under stand the answer.

A Form 139 is an authorization for pay adjustment.

IN_Puzzler wrote:
I can't even see where the removal of one letter would result in a common phrase (working backwards).

Bernadette1959 wrote:
Jenna, the "Letter Addition" category usually means that you need to insert a letter to make the answer sort of a play on words. For instance:

For the clue CLASS CLOWN, the answer is TEACHER'S PEST. (An "s" is added to Teacher's Pet.)

For the clue A PLEASING ODOR UNTO GOD, the answer would be HEAVEN SCENT. (A "c" is added to Heaven Sent)

Now having given you those examples, I am still scratching my head trying to figure out how the answer to the clue "139" would be PLAYWRIGHT. Maybe CC or another poster might be able to help crack this one? smile

edited by Bernadette1959 on 10/5/2012

10/6/2012 9:08:48 AM

creamchz3@aol.com
creamchz3@aol.com
I have this puzzle checked in red ink in both books I have. I do that if I have a problem with a puzzle or if there's something especially good about it. Bernadette, this is not the usual Letter Addition. The clues are 139, 134, 127, & 114. The answers are Playwright, Lengthways, Hospitably & Fishmonger. I never understood this catagory even after doing this book three times. I have to say this is the only time it's happened to me where I couldn't figure it out and for some reason didn't bring it to the attention of the Forum. #15 has always been my favorite Word Games book because almost all the puzzles in it have long answers and therefore make it more fun to solve with the extra letters and such. But it also has some of the more iffy catagories. It took me forever to figure out the Alphanumerics catagory when they first put this puzzle out but I have to admit I never got this one. Editors, can you help? Also, I never got an answer to my question about the 1 WordGames Puzzle with 6 lines in the Select Puzzles. I LOVED THAT! Why have you not done that again? 1 time in the history of Word Games Puzzles isn't enough for me. It was just different enough to make it really fun. Anyway, sorry I couldn't help, I hope the editors can. CC

10/6/2012 10:05:22 AM

Frances
Frances
When the letters of the alphabet are numbered consecutively, from A=1 to Z=26, then the number clue is the sum of the word's letters. Ex: P=16, L=12, A=1, Y=25, W=23, R=18, I=9, G=7, H=8, T=20, so 16+12+1+25+23+18+9+7+8+20=139.

Bernadette is right. You can't go anywhere with this category without some letters put in from other answers.
edited by Frances on 10/6/2012

10/7/2012 5:10:20 AM

creamchz3@aol.com
creamchz3@aol.com
If that is really the way to solve that catagory it is the dumbest one I've ever seen. How are we supposed to know what numbers to use. You cannot work the puzzle that way. You don't even know how many numbers to use. I was really looking forward to finally getting the answer to this but now I'm just p-off it was even in the book. Geez, what does that say about me doing the book three times? I'm sooooo disappointed. CC

10/7/2012 9:07:08 AM

Indiana Puzzler
Indiana Puzzler
That is pretty clever, sneaking math into a word games puzzles. I have the utmost respect for Word Games. They are the more difficult older sibling of anacrostics.

Indiana

10/7/2012 1:20:15 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
IN_Puzzler wrote:
That is pretty clever, sneaking math into a word games puzzles. I have the utmost respect for Word Games. They are the more difficult older sibling of anacrostics.

Indiana

It's neat to see everyone's opinions and preferences with regards to puzzles. Personally I find Anacrostic/Crostic puzzles more difficult than Word Games. I know I haven't solved as many Word Games as CC, but I have definitely solved more of these puzzles than I have Crostic puzzles.

I have never seen that category with the numbers, just the alphanumeric that CC was kind enough to explain to me. It is neat how the letters "add' up to the clue. Maybe having the number clue with the number of letters can give at least a little bit of help. Pretty smart for catching that Frances! smile

10/7/2012 7:30:14 PM

Frances
Frances
Thanks, Purple Pisces. Actually, the "Letter Addition" category is very similar to the small variety puzzle of the same name. There, though, the words are 5- or 6-letters long, and we're given some of the letters to get us going. With long words and no starting letters, we've got nothing. Personally, I really don't care for those "Word Games Puzzles" categories in which you have to use other answers to even begin to fill in the blanks.

10/8/2012 7:05:52 AM

creamchz3@aol.com
creamchz3@aol.com
Yep, got it! I'm actually into November puzzles but I did not do the 2nd puzzle in that book so that later I can pretend to be surprised when I find it undone down the line. I know, I'm strange. I just realized I've been working on Ultimate Favorite Variety Puzzles today and it's December 2012. Wow. (I got the freebie too!) CC

10/8/2012 8:23:07 AM

Indiana Puzzler
Indiana Puzzler
I am also interested in hearing everyone's opinion about types of puzzles and such. Word games for me can be a buzz saw since there is no spacing in the "quote" section of the puzzle - (am I right?). Crostics have those nice black blocks that separate the words out at least. They can get hairy too since it can be difficult to deduce the answers compared to a straight ahead cross word where letters added in can be most helpful in the deduction if you don't know the answer right off. I guess the infrequent publication of Word Games just makes them that much harder for me to get familiar with, whereas Crostics/Anacrostics are generously published each month. I also have a pretty cool movie/film themed Crostic book I'm working through. The first letter of the answers give the character/film and the quote is a quote from the character in the film.

IN_Puzzler

Purple Pisces wrote:
IN_Puzzler wrote:

Indiana

It's neat to see everyone's opinions and preferences with regards to puzzles. Personally I find Anacrostic/Crostic puzzles more difficult than Word Games. I know I haven't solved as many Word Games as CC, but I have definitely solved more of these puzzles than I have Crostic puzzles.

I have never seen that category with the numbers, just the alphanumeric that CC was kind enough to explain to me. It is neat how the letters "add' up to the clue. Maybe having the number clue with the number of letters can give at least a little bit of help. Pretty smart for catching that Frances! smile

10/8/2012 9:11:14 AM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
That movie Crostic sounds interesting, IN. I like Crostics because you can work back and forth to solve them (figuring out something from the "first letter of each clue" having to spell out a name, as well as getting a definition, as well as figuring out a word within the quote and then filling in some of the letters of the definitions). I'm used to the usual "Author, Title, Quote" but the idea of "Character, Film, a quote from that character" sounds cool, too.

--
Amy

Home » Variety Central » Word Games