Solver's Forum
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Variety Central » Word Games

See what other Variety puzzle fans have to say, share your solutions, and get help.
10/8/2012 8:13:36 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
You're right IN_Puzzler, there are spaces in the Crostic type puzzles, where with Word Games you're left to figure it out on your own. For me I find the clues overall to be easier in Word Games. There's enough variety that if one category stumps me, there will be a different one where I can usually make some progress. I don't recall if a letter in the Crostic grid can be used in more than one clue, but in Word Games puzzles they can, and this is often very helpful.

10/8/2012 10:07:19 PM

creamchz3@aol.com
creamchz3@aol.com
Bernadette1959 wrote:
IN_Puzzler wrote:
I guess the infrequent publication of Word Games just makes them that much harder for me to get familiar with, whereas Crostics/Anacrostics are generously published each month.

But Word Games Puzzles are also generously published each month!

I believe you might be confusing the publication frequency of the "Selected Word Games Puzzle Volumes" with the publication frequency of this puzzle in the regular magazines. PennyDell includes at least one Word Games Puzzle in each one of their full-sized puzzle magazines. Most of the time they include two puzzles, and sometimes even three, per issue. I can't give you an exact number, but in any given month PennyPress issues at least 4-5 full-sized puzzle magazines. So that's at least eight to ten Word Games Puzzles per month right there. So these puzzles are, in fact, published with great regularity! Just not in the same quantity per issue as the Crostics. smile

Bernadette, are you going for the new issue of Giant Word Games Puzzles? I have to wonder how many Word Games Puzzles are in it as usual. CC
edited by Bernadette1959 on 10/8/2012

10/8/2012 10:08:56 PM

creamchz3@aol.com
creamchz3@aol.com
creamchz3@aol.com wrote:
Bernadette1959 wrote:
IN_Puzzler wrote:
I guess the infrequent publication of Word Games just makes them that much harder for me to get familiar with, whereas Crostics/Anacrostics are generously published each month.

I believe you might be confusing the publication frequency of the "Selected Word Games Puzzle Volumes" with the publication frequency of this puzzle in the regular magazines. PennyDell includes at least one Word Games Puzzle in each one of their full-sized puzzle magazines. Most of the time they include two puzzles, and sometimes even three, per issue. I can't give you an exact number, but in any given month PennyPress issues at least 4-5 full-sized puzzle magazines. So that's at least eight to ten Word Games Puzzles per month right there. So these puzzles are, in fact, published with great regularity! Just not in the same quantity per issue as the Crostics. smile

Bernadette, are you going for the new issue of Giant Word Games Puzzles? I have to wonder how many Word Games Puzzles are in it as usual. CC

10/8/2012 10:10:23 PM

creamchz3@aol.com
creamchz3@aol.com
I don't know why it came out that way or why it came out twice! CC

10/9/2012 10:45:17 AM

Indiana Puzzler
Indiana Puzzler
Yes I see your point. Since a variety book lasts me a bunch of months I only buy one or two a year. So, I only get 2 WG an issue compared to the dozen or so Crostics. I usually pull WG off the free puzzle of the day section of this site.

Happy Solving!
Indiana

Bernadette1959 wrote:
IN_Puzzler wrote:

10/10/2012 9:58:49 AM

Indiana Puzzler
Indiana Puzzler
Discovering a new puzzle is so much fun!

10/11/2012 12:25:40 PM

Frances
Frances
I enjoy List-A-Crostic, too. I've got 4 or 5 waiting for me in my little stack of magazines, which also includes the December 2012 issue of Ultimate Favorite. I like that there's a Weaver Words in there, also!

Those flyers that PP binds into the magazines used to be in Dell, too, for their back issues and packs. I wonder why I'm not seeing them anymore, or getting them in the mail either. I still get the PP ones in the mail.

10/11/2012 6:43:40 PM

Indiana Puzzler
Indiana Puzzler
I finally solved the Word Games Puzzle that was posted on free puzzles a few days ago. If anyone else's has solved it I am curious about the "Sounds Like a '50s Songstress" category. I thought most of the singers were popular in the 1960's rather than the '50s.

I started it over breakfast and finished it after work.

IN_Puzzler

10/12/2012 4:29:37 PM

Frances
Frances
Bernadette,

I worked the List-A-Crostic in Ultimate Favorite. And I did enjoy it! Well, after determining a mistake I made that confused me for a bit. You know, when I get a wrong answer to a clue in any crostic-type puzzle, it never seems to be a short one. It's a nice long word so my mistake can be strewn all over the puzzle diagram! LOL

Frances.

2/12/2013 12:45:05 AM

CDN Solver
CDN Solver
Does anyone know what the "To the Letter" category means? The specific clues are just single letters. For example the clue "R" in this category has an answer of YEAREND. Other than having the letter appear somewhere in the answer, what other clues are there to get the answer.

2/12/2013 1:07:18 AM

creamchz3@aol.com
creamchz3@aol.com
What book, what page? CC

2/12/2013 8:28:33 AM

CDN Solver
CDN Solver
creamchz3@aol.com wrote:
What book, what page? CC

Vol 15, puzzle 50

2/14/2013 12:19:22 AM

creamchz3@aol.com
creamchz3@aol.com
When I did this puzzle I thought there would be "2" of the letters in the answers because with help I was able to get the 3rd answer. Just when I thought I was smart I ended up with the first answer which through all my logic right out the window. So, all I can tell is that each answer has that letter in it which makes it one of those categories we've talked about here on the forum as one you need the extra letters to even figure it out. We all hate them, I'm sure we can add your name to the list but they do exist but thankfully not very often. CC

2/14/2013 1:13:22 PM

Frances
Frances
CDN Solver, you might be interested in a previous discussion on this category here on the forum last year. See General Forums, General Discussion, topic "The Forum", page 11, April 20, 2012.

5/25/2014 11:25:10 PM

PuzzleFan
PuzzleFan
I can't figure out how to add a topic, sui I figured it would be logical to try it here. It is referring the new Dell publication 'Code Breakers.' I am a huge fan of both penny press and Dell, but 3.99 for a magazine almost exclusively made up of cryptograms and cryptoquizzes, is, for lack of a better word ridiculous!! The magazine is shorter to boot!! We all knows these puzzles are all computer generated,which means, you have taken away jobs from puzzle makers! I will never waste my money on this silly magazine! Shame on you!

5/26/2014 6:50:01 AM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
It's a big ordeal to start a new topic (at least to me it is), and sometimes I'd find it easier to use IE8 for that purpose, than Firefox (my usual browser).

I wrote myself a hint a few years ago about how to add a new topic:

Choose from forum homepage, the topic in which you'd like the post to appear (eg, General Discussion). Then click on "new topic" on RIGHT SIDE OF PAGE directly above list of topics and next to page numbers. (THIS IS A VERY TINY LITTLE THING, which I usually miss, and I MIGHT HAVE TO USE THE RIGHT-ARROW to get to it. But it SHOULD be there, and I SHOULD be able to use it.)

--
Amy

6/9/2014 10:07:48 AM

Dell Editorial Staff
Dell Editorial Staff
Dear PuzzleFan,
In response to your comment about our title "Solver's Choice Code Breakers," we'd like to clarify that the puzzles included in it are NOT computer-generated. Feedback on this newer publication has been overwhelmingly positive to this point and we hope solvers who enjoy solving Cryptic/Code type puzzles will check it out.
Dell Editorial Staff

Home » Variety Central » Word Games